Sway control help.

85_Ranger4x4

Completely different truck and camper.

Truck has way heavier springs in it than original, carries the camper and still has a slight rake to it.

I am adding a sway bar, if I think I am going to need more articulation I can pull a link off. Starting out with a smaller one figuring I can work my way up if need be.

Last edited:

tombinpsca

Regcabguy:
Yes everything is a compromise. My goal is to have a comfortable and safe ride on pavement and have the ability to drive Forest service roads, nothing technical.

Tom

David_h

My goal is to have a comfortable and safe ride on pavement and have the ability to drive Forest service roads, nothing technical.
Tom

Based on your goal I think a rear sway bar would work well. Maybe a smaller diameter bar so as to not limit articulation as much. Do you expect to lift one rear wheel in the air often? The front drive might get you through just fine. Or maybe you have a limited slip rear differential even better.

MTVR

What load range are your tires?

What cold tire inflation pressures are you using?

What cold tire inflation pressures does the manufacturer recommend on the sticker in the door jamb?

You should have that sorted out first, before you move on to anything else.

Last edited:

tombinpsca

MTVR:

Load range is "E" 3195 lbs. GVWR at 80 psi cold. I"m running 70psi front and rear. The door sticker says same except 60 psi front and 70 psi rear. I do have until next summer to sort this out, unless Covid-19 takes an ugly turn. I would like to keep the modifications to a minimum and try simple things first. Thanks for advice.

Tom

tombinpsca

About a month late to this thread, I am wondering if the OP did anything? Did you get a rear anti sway bar? Or beef up the springs?
I've noticed from another post: "looking for help finding the right camper" that we have almost the same truck and camper. Was wondering if you have managed to reduce any sway issues? I'd really like a definitive answer based on similar vehicle/camper, not just a guess or shot gunning the problem. The consensus seems to point to a stiffer spring pack, this would work for me as the camper never leaves the truck. Any thoughts?

Tom

billiebob

I've noticed from another post: "looking for help finding the right camper" that we have almost the same truck and camper. Was wondering if you have managed to reduce any sway issues? I'd really like a definitive answer based on similar vehicle/camper, not just a guess or shot gunning the problem. The consensus seems to point to a stiffer spring pack, this would work for me as the camper never leaves the truck. Any thoughts?

Tom
So you mention a discomfort on forestry roads. On forestry roads there should be zero concern for stability with a camper/truck conforming to the truck spec. You might notice a diffrence, but that does not mean there is a safety issue.

I would sooner add a sway bar than bump the spring capacity..... as long as you are not currently overloaded. Increasing capacity beyond your needs might jat thae camper to pieces. Add that sway bar, from what you say so far articulation is not an issue.

::Squish::

Observer

Tom

we are still researching options.
for others we have a Ford F350 SRW 4x4 with a bigfoot 1500 camper.
our truck was set up for the camper. And it has the heavy duty toe package, but not the plow package.
so we have the big ford anti sway bars.
we also have the bigger ford overloads, but nothing that engages them sooner.
we also have the heaviest rated non commercial all terrain tire in the 265 75 16 tire size.
on road we run iirc 60 and 80 psi, I have to check those numbers I write the pressure on the fender so I don’t have to remember it.

we get body roll, sway and a bit of wander, thankfully only a little fore and aft movement.
our steering damper was removed or the truck never came with one.

i am thinking we will end up with some custom deaver springs packs front and rear, along with some newer better shock, we have bottom of the barrel shocks on right now because I needed something with damping to replace the stock shocks at 90k miles. I really don’t want to increase ride height so that also factors into what we do

i am hoping the good folks at Deaver can give me a clue what is the best route to take. I really need better slow speed corrugated road control and handling, but still keep things between the lines while on road.

Deshet

Adventurer
You probably need to tighten the nut on the steering box. It is a common problem on Fords.
Google it
Hellwing sway bars in the rear may help but the steering box is the issue.

::Squish::

Observer
I read a little about that nut, but it seems like a new steering box, is a more solid, permanent solution. Along with suspension upgrades. All it takes is cubic dollars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94