Swapped into a Toyota from my rock crawler

So I did a hard thing and I guess change is the new norm for us. Between moving to Utah and having more kids more things for us are new than old.

It took alot of talking myslef into this. Couple years worth actually and the gist of it is this just makes more sense now. I have a ton of great memories with the Jeep.
Life long friends I would have never made without it. But with a 2nd kid due shortly (couple weeks) more doors and more utility took precedence.

It took me realizing that it's more important to make memories than to hold onto them. This change represents a chance for me to build a new rig with my young family in something we can all be comfortable in. Car seats and 2 doors don't equal comfortable. Plus they made me a deal I couldn't turn down.
Half the fun is building the rig I had lost that fun with the Jeep. Now my kids get to help me with this one. The Jeep hadn't had any real mods for 2 years and with the need of car seats it wasn't used much.

TBCkNzA.jpg

ZyTy6J1.jpg

AJT Key Fob Review and Assembly
This is the first mod I have done to the Tacoma. Not because it was the first thing I wanted it’s just the first one to show up.
The first thing I noticed about the Tacoma when I test drove it was the PTS (Push to Start) key is very flimsy and light weight. While sitting in the dealership I actually had it slide out of my pocket. With all the things I access these days having gone to electronic codes or biometrics I don’t carry a key ring anymore to weight it down and that key falling out while sitting was concerning. Granted I was kicked back with my feet up waiting on them but still. So, when I was browsing the forum and saw these I thought I’d give it a try. In addition to being a bit heavier than factory and substantially sturdier I liked that I could color match it to my Calvary Blue 2019. Despite the cosmetic appeal this change also lets it stand out from other Toyota keys.
Here is how it came packaged.
I assume the screws were in a separate bag because you can select from a few screw colors.
sf21fJ2.jpg

Comparing to the OEM fob it’s about the same size just not as rounded
CItIaTk.jpg

Vl6CuTy.jpg

To put this together is a simple task.
First step is to get the guts out of the OEM Fob. Opening it is done with the metal key inside the fob.
IhvtGou.jpg

Once open simply move the guts to the new fob.
uPnabtW.jpg

Next take the spring out of the hardware bag and press it into the key release.
bpGcnmq.jpg

Then insert it into the space for the release. One side is deeper the other than other, so it won’t go together backwards.
lDOahZU.jpg

Finally place the back plate on and install the screws. Don’t crank them down just tighten them to snug and maybe a ¼ turn more.
ME7qqck.jpg

I think it matches the Calvary Blue well.

AJT Key Fob Review and Assembly
This is the first mod I have done to the Tacoma. Not because it was the first thing I wanted it’s just the first one to show up.
The first thing I noticed about the Tacoma when I test drove it was the PTS (Push to Start) key is very flimsy and light weight. While sitting in the dealership I actually had it slide out of my pocket. With all the things I access these days having gone to electronic codes or biometrics I don’t carry a key ring anymore to weight it down and that key falling out while sitting was concerning. Granted I was kicked back with my feet up waiting on them but still. So, when I was browsing the forum and saw these I thought I’d give it a try. In addition to being a bit heavier than factory and substantially sturdier I liked that I could color match it to my Calvary Blue 2019. Despite the cosmetic appeal this change also lets it stand out from other Toyota keys.
Here is how it came packaged.
I assume the screws were in a separate bag because you can select from a few screw colors.
sf21fJ2.jpg

Comparing to the OEM fob it’s about the same size just not as rounded
CItIaTk.jpg

Vl6CuTy.jpg

To put this together is a simple task.
First step is to get the guts out of the OEM Fob. Opening it is done with the metal key inside the fob.
IhvtGou.jpg

Once open simply move the guts to the new fob.
uPnabtW.jpg

Next take the spring out of the hardware bag and press it into the key release.
bpGcnmq.jpg

Then insert it into the space for the release. One side is deeper the other than other, so it won’t go together backwards.
lDOahZU.jpg

Finally place the back plate on and install the screws. Don’t crank them down just tighten them to snug and maybe a ¼ turn more.
ME7qqck.jpg

I think it matches the Calvary Blue well.

Today I was able to get the DMM installed. https://thetacogarage.com/product/dashtop-multi-mount/

Instead of their mounts I used some from TACKFORM
Their arms and their Cell Phone mount is top notch and holds the phone really well while still being one hand in and out.
The radio mount is a work in progress. I'm still working out what I want to do with that. The beauty of this system is once I figure that out I can mount my Nav tablet there instead. https://www.tackform.com/collection...at-for-docking-your-device-in-cars-and-trucks
Wkmod2g.jpg

hoCoIOU.jpg

TYHWgQd.jpg

And Nick over TACKFORM is super helpful. Told him I needed to figure out some way to mount the kids tablet for longer trips. If you've got a toddler getting to and from trails is a pain when they start getting bored. As you can tell her feet like to kick the back of the chair so I needed a way to get her fire tablet up behind the headrest so she did not kick it. I also wanted to be able to easily reach the tablet and take it down for when a show runs out or what not. Nick suggested this kit and its perfect. This will work in any rig as it bolts to the headrest pole. Here is the link. Its a great kit. Highly recommend.
https://www.tackform.com/collection...at-for-docking-your-device-in-cars-and-trucks

pL9nZ91.jpg

bAwPPzg.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles