Swag mattress question, well a two parter, I guess this is best answered by those down under :)

EuroJoe

Adventurer
I have a Kodiak Canvas Swag

http://www.kodiakcanvas.com/swag-1-person-canvas-tent/

I sometimes use it on a cot as its much more comfortable that way, I feel too much of the ground when I'm sleeping on it. I'm thinking the foam mattress isn't that great and want to replace it with something denser.

I'm looking for recommendations as to with what, denser foam? a self inflating pad?

Additionally

Here in New England I notice that I get condensation build up under the mattress, the floor of the swag is a waterproof vinyl and doesn't breath, will a new mat eliminate that? or any other ways that might work?

Thanks

EuroJoe

Adventurer
P.S availability stateside would be great unless shipping is feasible, maple syrup? I'm not sure what might be rare down there! :)

john61ct

Adventurer
There are breathable under-mattress pads designed to mitigate the problem, but many are rigid / flat.

If you are in a sealed up living space, you need active controlled ventilation to the outdoors.

Make sure to get everything all dry as often as possible while not actually using it.

Heat dehumidifiers or aircon can help in more humid climates, but obviously burn energy.

Don't burn gas inside the space.

Avoid swamp coolers except in very dry conditions with ventilation.

john61ct

Adventurer
Yes was not just addressing your use case but the issue's general principles to help other readers as well.

What do you think is causing all that condensation if you are sleeping with all that ventilation open?

I take it's a humid climate?

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
If you go for a self inflating mat, make sure that there is still enough space for you to fit in it... I run a Megamat XLW in mine, and it was fine in my old swag, but a bit tight in my new one.

In terms of condensation, it's basically cold ground and warm body and a non-breathable membrane at the bottom. A self inflating mat will improve it as the insulation will be better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles