SVO: Project Hero Press Release

Ian_Barry

Observer
LINK to press release.

Thoughts and feelings? No need to remark on how you can't tell it apart from an Explorer; as always the SVO vehicles are an impressive modification of the base vehicle (taste is always subjective). What do we make of the mods?

deadon-resize-458x344-crop-458x327.jpg

I'm especially interested in the gullwing access in the "3rd row" and PALS paneling. Oh and it has a drone...

I've personally watched a number of 3rd row windows be reduced to bits by a tree and every time I think it would be great to make it an access hatch; how do we go about that (for 3's & 4's)?
lrnewdiscoveryprojecthero07021718-resize-458x687-crop-458x327.JPG

lrnewdiscoveryprojecthero07021719-resize-491x327-crop-458x327.JPG

Cheers,

Ian

Last edited:

mpinco

Expedition Leader
First, I like the concept of a SVO group that could design and build accessories or standardize interfaces for Land Rover and demonstrate their value. Good move IF that is their mission.

As for the Discovery 5 'Hero' I seems a little short on substance, more on style. The radio bay is interesting but useless if it does not charge and/or maintain a charge on all equipment. The pic looks like a foam insert for display. The rear 'dog guard' is your basic place to hang stuff. The drone is interesting but most S&R teams will use the latest technology available, not something integrated into a vehicle. The only exterior accessory is an antenna mount?

SVO, a work in progress.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
I like it, and I am not necessarily the D5's biggest fan. Anything that gets the LR skunkworks going again is A-OK in my book. Reminds me of how new and standardized the Jurassic park jeeps were in the movie.

Hopefully they designed the drone part so that you could swap to a newer model/spec when needed later.

harbinger808

Adventurer
I agree with you Ian... how does this happen to a 3/4?... I'm located in PHX AZ and we've recently had some freeway rocks hit our glass roof with now has a pretty crack in it. I've been pondering what it would take from insurance and LR to replace the roof and rear 1/4 panels with aluminum like the utility 3/4s they sell in others part of the world.

harbinger808

Adventurer
I agree with you Ian... how does this happen to a 3/4?... I'm located in PHX AZ and we've recently had some freeway rocks hit our glass roof with now has a pretty crack in it. I've been pondering what it would take from insurance and LR to replace the roof and rear 1/4 panels with aluminum like the utility 3/4s they sell in others part of the world.

As stated, MODS and SVO are subjective as it is a base vehicle with basic SAR needs. I believe the 3rd window panel storage shows a concept to have many other options; they just happened to use radios. I like the ideas if they are using this advert for selling a full utility, no frills D5 with a ton of technology for the Red Cross to do the great things they do!

The drone......as stated, it will have to be upgraded with software to link to the LR platform as always. Any guess if a lost drone will make the suspension fail to the bump stops? hahaha JK JK, too soon?

I like the utility CONCEPT, but I do not believe LR is using the right vehicle as SAR relies on being off the grid and completely dependable and reliable on the vehicle. It must be self-sustainable so unless it comes with an LR mechanic under the drone dome, pack it in! Pack the drone in a pelican case and use the roof-rack for actual kit. Ask the Aussies how they love the new G-wagon replacement for their Defenders! The say its great multi-use vehicle....when it runs, its a great rig when it's broke it's a great couch cuz nobody can fix anything electronic off the grid, so at least they are comfy.

I'm curious to know about the charging system, dual batteries, amps for long range communication output, full-size spare, solar capable, etc... For a full operational concept, there needs to be some serious ***** behind reliability and user interoperability!

My recent experience in Africa shows LR losing the market to Toyota in the utility platform! I am sincerely praying for something special from LR on the new Defender!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior