Susquehanna On-Pavement Tour (pics)

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
On Saturday, November 12th, I went out to explore backroads following the Susquehanna River south from Marietta, Pennsylvania, down to my ultimate destination Elk Neck State Park in Maryland.

The complete photo set with write-up can be found here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cshontz/sets/1362854/

63103721_fc17d96490.jpg

63104675_2b5290d458.jpg

63107403_7c1bdcbf51.jpg

63108285_b0c6e2fbb3.jpg

63109921_abb028be48.jpg

63110666_207b781fc5.jpg

63112985_95bb79291c.jpg

63114422_a4635fbf65.jpg

63115482_7d7dbc14df.jpg

63116183_9ac95aac1d.jpg

NOTE: I hope the "Completed Expeditions" forum is an appropriate choice for this post. While my outing was little more than a glorified Sunday drive (on a Saturday), it was vehicle dependent and exploratory in nature. It isn't my intent to dilute the forum, so if you'd rather see stuff like this in "General", let me know.

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Very nice! Beautiful pix. One of these days I'd like to visit the tree changing.

There's a location called Lost Maples just west of San Antonio that is supposed to be quite dramatic as well.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Chris, great pics. We miss the color changes here in Phoenix so it is nice to see them again. It looks like you had great weather for the trip. I think this is a fine place to post up your pics, that or in the completed adventures thread. But don't take my word for it, I am not a moderator. But great pics and thanks for sharing.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks, I thought you SW folks might dig the NE pictures. I'd like to do this type of exploration more often, and I'm sure I will - its just difficult to find the time sometimes. I'd like to include my family, but I'd hate to make my three year old son sit in the car for most of the day. My wife loves exploring.

Unfortunately, most of the northeast is paved and densely populated, so outings aren't typically that demanding. However, there are still plenty of unique locations to be discovered via back roads. :)

If I lived out west, I'd be in hog heaven, and wouldn't know the meaning of the word "pavement". My wife is too close to her roots here in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, so I don't see us relocating... but I'm thinking about kicking her to the curb. :D

datrupr

Expedition Leader
One of the discussions that came up this weekend at the rally was about the vast amount of land in AZ. I do not know the exact # but but somewhere around 70% of the state is either National Forest, BLM, State, or Reservation. There are close to 6 million people in AZ and about 4 million of them live in the Phoenix metro area. Lots of space and dirt roads to explore out here. :D

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
datrupr said:
or in the completed adventures thread

Moderators, can you please move this thread to the "Completed Adventures" group? I overlooked that group initially, and I think it would be a more appropriate location, as Aaron suggested. Thanks! :coffee:

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Nice pics Chris...glad you didnt get a shot of me streaking across the Nudist Crossing!

Want another destination? About 3.5hrs NW check out the Pa Grand Canyon...i do alot of camping there. Wellsboro, NW of Williamsport. A bit further you can get into Allegheny NF, where our states Elk population are doing well.

Matter of fact my son is heading out there this weekend camping with a few friends. (his 1st trip without dad).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior