Suspension Upgrade on a beater 4runner.

Laxaholic

Adventurer
Hello all, long time since I've posted. Work mostly offshore on yachts, so I very rarely drive. I think the last time I drove my car was March this year. Anyway, headed out to CO for my yearly 8 week pilgrimage to snowboard. 1997 4runner. 2.7L. 5spd. 4x4. White. 250k. Thing still runs like a top. Did new tires and a new clutch last winter, so that's all still pretty much brand new.

Need to sort the suspension. Have looked at the;
3rd Generation 1996-02
Low Lift OME Suspension Kit 1.75''.

Has anyone had any experience with this lift on an old 3rd gen? Any other suggestions to check out? Want to do it myself over Thanksgiving and be sure I buy a kit that has everything I need. The 4Runner has some sag going and needs some love.

-J

Clutch

<---Pass
Will the OME kit I listed stop the sag?

Just did my 1st gen Tacoma (which is the same front components as your 4Runner) with OME's with 882's last weekend waaaay too much, it said 2.25-2.5" turned about to be about 3.5+...swapping in 881's tomorrow. Which are a 20mm shorter spring IIRC...might still be a little too nose high, but settling should get it close to where I want it.

Guessing the low lift should be just about right for what you're looking for. I would do the low lift on mine, since I don't like it too much lift, but have OME's HD Dakars on the back already, the 880's might make it too stink bug.

I went with Wheelers. https://wheelersoffroad.com Since I have bought all my suspension from them since I have owned the truck for the past 16 years. Have re-done the suspension 4 times over the years. (breaking stuff, upgrading, now down grading a touch this go around)

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
I think I will go with the low lift from OME. How will it impact the driving experience?

Should make it a little stiffer than stock, but not horrible is my guess.

I can take pictures of the before and after swap tomorrow, if you want... so you can get an idea of the ride height differences. The 882's are extremely stiff, feel every crack, bump, and hole in the road. 4 days into it, I decided to go with the other springs if that tells you anything. If the 881's aren't compliant enough, might have to go with the 880's. My Dakars in the rear have about 230K miles on them and finally fatigued enough to where I like the ride. I have messed around with those too, by removing and/or adding leafs. But that doesn't apply to your 4Runner.

Laxaholic

Adventurer
Should make it a little stiffer than stock, but not horrible is my guess.

I can take pictures of the before and after swap tomorrow, if you want... so you can get an idea of the ride height differences. The 882's are extremely stiff, feel every crack, bump, and hole in the road. 4 days into it, I decided to go with the other springs if that tells you anything. If the 881's aren't compliant enough, might have to go with the 880's. My Dakars in the rear have about 230K miles on them and finally fatigued enough to where I like the ride. I have messed around with those too, by removing and/or adding leafs. But that doesn't apply to your 4Runner.

That'd be great. I don't want it to be too stiff, I just want to fix the sag...Is there a better way? Where would the best website be to order the OME kit from? Also looking to grab some mud flaps for the front wheels, so i can take the stupid side steps off.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
That'd be great. I don't want it to be too stiff, I just want to fix the sag...Is there a better way? Where would the best website be to order the OME kit from? Also looking to grab some mud flaps for the front wheels, so i can take the stupid side steps off.

Just got it done, will get some before and after shots here soon after a little drive. Looks like it dropped it back down roughly 2". Swear the 882's put it up 3-4" over stock instead of the 2.25-2.5 the specs stated...forgot to take a measure of the before on those when I pulled my old coil-overs out.

You could just do fresh stock to fix the sag. But I feel if you're going to go through the effort, might as well get something a little better than stock.

I bought mine from Wheelers.

https://wheelersoffroad.com

They offer spring install, but I just did a method where you use the vehicle itself as the spring compressor....very easy, and quite safe. (no pinched fingers @DaveInDenver)

Mudflaps...maybe Rock Auto? You can also order stock replacement suspension from them too.

Last edited:

tacollie

Glamper
881s will get your more lift because you are a i4. 99' 4runners had the tallest coils. You might consider this with some ome springs in the rear. We did me buddies 98 that way to keep cost down and it was a solid setup. Unloaded with 890 rears he had about an inch of rack but with his sleeping platform and gear it sat level.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Because the suspension is old, and has failing components.
His question (as I read it anyway) is why *upgrade* rather than just find take-off coils from someone who lifted a FJ Cruiser or 80 series. Could easily lift a 3rd gen 4Runner for a lot less money than a new OME kit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94