Suspension question

mcgovski

Adventurer
I have a 2006 dodge 3500 ctd
I added a warn 15000lbs winch and an ARB bumper...this caused a bit(alot) of squat on the front end. After talking with ARB about a good solution I got some custom coils built for me. the new coils are 1.5" taller than stock and they added 800lbs to the spring rate. this was my first time installing suspension parts, and i enjoyed it. truck handles way better and is not squatting anymore...I am wondering about one thing about the install. once the new coils were in I had to lift the axle to get the shock to hit the top of the shock tower...so I am wondering...do I need taller shocks? (is there such a thing?) or is this normal?
like I said, this was my first go at this type of thing, so I have no idea if I did it right
I hope this makes sense, thanks

Chris

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
With the taller coils, and the extra weight, the rig should be sitting near stock ride height right?

Suspension compression is one thing, over-extension is another.

Im no familiar with the solid axle, coil spring dodge front end. But having coils, Id assume it has some sort of suspension limiter. This may be in the form of a sway bar. Just so long as these are intact, you should be good to go.

mcgovski

Adventurer
yes, there is a sway bar. It handles well and is sitting like stock...so I am hoping its good.
Thanks for the feedbaack

jsnow

Adventurer
I would suggest maybe removing the shocks, and cycling the suspension, that way you could measure from the top mount to the bottom, and then you will know if you shocks are long enough. Personally, I don't want the shock to be the limiting factor, possibly damaging the shock.

1speed

Explorer
Generally when you use longer springs you use longer shocks. Most shock companies make them. If your ride height is back to stock you may not need them. Stay away from the normal players; Skyjacker, Rancho etc for the big Dodge diesels and go with high end stuff. I was running Skyjackers on my 01 CTD and they were definitely not up to the task. I am going to a dual Bilstein 5100 set up in anticipation of a heavy bumper and winch later.

I have talked to all these companies by phone and they have all been very helpful. They will discuss your individual needs and put together a custom setup for you. I have ordered a mix of DT Profab, Thuren, Maxx Link, and stock parts to redo my truck. Rather than try to sell me his high dollar crossover steering kit, Don Thuren advised me to use stock 98-99 HD steering components and voluteered to email me all the part #'s.

http://www.thecarlisuspension.com/dodge-ram/suspension/
http://koreperformance.com/
http://lorenzindustries.com/
http://www.thurenfabrication.com/
http://www.dtprofab.com/

Last edited:

mcgovski

Adventurer
1speed
thanks for the info...and great build. I have some pictures of your flatbed pinned up in my neighbors shop...he is a welder, and we are going to do something like yours soon...
I think I had better make some calls about longer shocks. I figure I had to jack the axle up about 1" + to get the top bolt of the shock into the tower. the ride height is better and it handles way better...but why add 1.5" of coil height if you are just going to compress it to install the shock. wouldnt you just add more spring rate and leave the height alone?

hmmmmm

Chris

Mr. Moore

Observer
I have a 2005 ram, but it is a 1500 2wd. I am going to add a spring spacer to my truck to level it out, and stock length shocks are recomended even though I will be lifting it 2" above stock. If you are riding at or near stock hight, I would use stock length shocks. If you use longer shocks and you are actually sitting at stock hight, you can run the risk of bottoming out the shocks at full suspension compression. It sounds like you are back to stock hight with your springs coompensating for the extra weight of the bumper and winch, so i would stick with stock length but maybe go with a heavier duty shock if you havent already. The other thing that you may need, is to add a limiting strap of some sort in the event you get your truck off the ground and your suspension extends, to keep your shocks from being the limiter....just my $.02 worth.....for what it is worth....

mcgovski

Adventurer
good info...Mr. Moore.
I was steered clear of the leveling kit for my problem...but the limiting strap sounds like something I should look into...just in case!

thanks

Chris

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Carli Suspension for Dodge.

Carli Suspension is in Orange,Ca. They are experts in Dodge aftermarket suspension upgrades and can answer any questions you have. They've got various levels to accomodate every wallet or need. www.thecarlisuspension.com.Don Thuren's a gem of a guy also with a wealth of suspension info. I'm getting his control arms in a month.(Hopefully our tax return will fund that.)

Last edited:

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Just a thought, but the Power Wagons are aprox +2" over and may be an answer, although the springs are not designed for the weight of the diesel, it does compensate for the winch. And the shocks may be just the ticket for this thread's issue.

mcgovski

Adventurer
The new coils are on the truck with the stock shock...I am thinking a bilstein 5100 0"2" will do the trick. Its fine for speed bumps as is...but i am worried about bottoming out or rebound damage. so i think i will try the taller shocks.

Chris

I am taking the 2" Daystar levelers off of the MDR (1/2-ton) and replacing with Skyjacker progressive coils +2" in height. I will be using the Bilstiein 5100 0-2" taller shock that you mentioned. I also will be reinstalling the ARB bumper with 12k winch. Looking forward to your report...good luck with the install. :sombrero:

mcgovski

Adventurer
between the DRZ and KTM prep for our OVEXPO trip, I forgot about the truck! I picked up some 5100 0to +2" Bilstiens that I plan to put on in the next few days. The New Coils have been really good. A day an night difference in handling with the heavy bumper / wench combo
with the weather being so nice, my priorities are all out of whack, but I will try to get these shocks installed in the next day or two

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke