Suspension question, diesel rover

Hello all! First time posting on here, I have an 88 rover classic that I converted to a mercedes om603 turbodiesel and wanted to get some reccomendations on what to do with my suspension.
The diesel engine is about 200pounds over the 3.5 that was in there and mine came without swaybars so its a little wiggly on the highway over 60mph.
Currently I have OME springs in the back and stockers up front with bilstein yellows, I really like the ride height and dont want to raise it up anymore if I can help it so I wanted to get a few opinions about how to go about this.
Also happy to answer questions about the diesel swap :)

Attachments

• IMG_20200218_144238.jpg
    IMG_20200218_144238.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20200218_144315.jpg
    IMG_20200218_144315.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20200218_143919.jpg
    IMG_20200218_143919.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20200218_143927.jpg
    IMG_20200218_143927.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20200218_144339.jpg
    IMG_20200218_144339.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 34

ApexRex

That looks like a very clean swap, nicely done! If you are looking for spring information on how to accommodate the additional weight, take a look at this page.

It has specs on every applicable OEM Land Rover spring, and you can figure out which springs would give you the desired height based on length, number of coils, and spring rate. Remember, a higher spring rate isn't always better. I used this information to order my springs from John Craddock LTD in the UK. I think Rovers North can also source them, and Bearmach also carries them.

Last edited:

JackW

Explorer
I put a set of factory heavy duty springs on my D90 to compensate for the ARB bumper, winch, rock sliders, roof rack and roof tent. As suggested above check the factory optional springs first.

ApexRex

Wow! That’s very interesting. I had assumed that because of the strange url that it was being hosted on an older server, confirming that to myself because it says updated in 2011. It still appears to have your contact info and does link back to your main site. Thanks for clearing it up, I’ll replace with the link to your site - thanks for compiling and hosting this information!

That is very helpful, thankyou guys
I only have to decide between fox shocks and bilsteins
I did find some guys in England that make all the parts to add a swaybar, YRMmetalsolutions. I might go that route as well as uprated springs since I eventually plan on adding a winch and bumper.

garrycol

I would just duplicate what suspension the Diesel Range Rover Classic of the same era had fitted.

Last edited:

Red90

Adventurer
Those are not stock front springs. They are also upside down. You will want to figure out what is there first before deciding where to go.

JackW

Explorer
Bilsteins break - I've broken a couple of rear ones. I'd highly recommend Koni Heavy Duty. That's what will be going on my D90 eventually.

Red90

Adventurer
Konis are not what you want to reduce body roll. They are the softest option out there. They are great on rough roads.

Add sway bars if you don’t want body roll. Or get something else. That is not the point of an RRC.

You first need to figure out what springs you have. Then carefully measure the height and decide what else would work. You are quite lifted. Those are huge bump stops. I assume those were added due to a poor engine conversion.

Yep, thats why i mentioned getting the swaybar hardware, people commonly run extended bumpstops, oil pan was switched from the stock om603 to an om648 along with the oil pump, pickup tube and clearance is fine if you were curious.
I was looking at the koni raid90 shocks since it shows them as adjustable but only found a set for the rears. Really leaning toward the fox or bilstein 7100's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles