Suspension mod

Reddogtheo

Observer
Did some more mods on my fog 637 suspension this week results are amazing ride ,now drives like my old oka did a pleasure to drive.
First mod was to have the bottom two leaves rebent to only take up only under load. Next I installed timbren bumpstops to touch when the spring goes to a flat position under heavy load to stop a lighter spring inverting.
This week I had the top leaf replaced with an 8mm leaf instead of the standard 10mm and extended the length by 25mm and increased the camber of the spring from 100mm standard to 200 mm also fitted new shackles with nylon bushes and grease pins.
The truck now sits level and has 70mm clearance to the bump stop at rest.
Only fitted a cheap set of powerdown shocks now as next step is to have some correctly valved kings made.
This mod is quite cheap to do and is only suited to trucks with a light front end. If there is a heavy winch or steel bullbar adding another 8mm leaf would need to be fitted much the same as Dans mod.
Was going to add photos yet last time I posted photos they came out upside down and it caused grief so will get my son in law to check before posting.

canter tourer

Adventurer
Great work, both your and Dan's suspension work is going to make it much easier when I get mine redone once my body's on, will be a great starting point for the spring maker.

That's a significant change to say it rides like an OKA, everything I've read about them always talks about their great ride, something to look forward to in my bucking bull...looking forward to your photo's.
Dave

Reddogtheo

Observer
The spring pack was done by Spencer's truck springs Cardiff he used the OME springs and only replaced the the top leaf.
So retains 6 leaf pack ,I do go to Sydney and Gosford on a regular basis so when I do the shocks you can both have a drive also this mod suits my application as my truck is a tipper and used as a daily drive unladen 90 percent of the time.

CropDuster

Observer
Thanks for the info, I have the same shocks and my springs are pretty similar in spec but still much too solid with the dual cab.

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Nice work! Always easier on the body when you springs are working correctly. It took me 2 years to find SSA in Brisbane and they have done an awesome job on the Amesz.

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
Can you fellas chuck up a photo to show how much angle you have on the spring hanger?
thanks Nathan
SSA setup
image.jpg
image.jpg

If you give too much angle, the springs will be very soft and you do run the risk of them bumping the frame too easily. Conversely, if you set them too steep the initial 25-50mm will be very stiff and you will feel every bump in the road.

Last edited:

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Excellent, thank you both!
Mine does not have as much angle as either of you but now I have something to compare with :)

They have pretty much covered it (with pics) but yes if your shackle is straight up and down then it takes quite a hit to get it to move and that is felt in the seats. Mine are very much like Steve's and I have 75mm clearance from bump stop.

Hey Steve your diff breather line needs to be made longer as under full articulation it will be stretched tight. I'll also add that you need to give the bracket that holds the flexible brake line to each front wheel a bit of adjustment in the down direction to give them a bit more slack.

Dan.

steve4wdaus

4WDaus "tralia"
They have pretty much covered it (with pics) but yes if your shackle is straight up and down then it takes quite a hit to get it to move and that is felt in the seats. Mine are very much like Steve's and I have 75mm clearance from bump stop.

Hey Steve your diff breather line needs to be made longer as under full articulation it will be stretched tight. I'll also add that you need to give the bracket that holds the flexible brake line to each front wheel a bit of adjustment in the down direction to give them a bit more slack.

Dan.

Thanks Dan. Appreciate the observation. Will have a look into it next week.
Cheers Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles