Suspension makeover

laxphatty

It wouldn't hurt to look into adjustable sway bars to help when fully loaded. That's assuming they can be adjusted stiffer than stock.

Good point. The factory Rubicon sway bar (modified to be a manual disconnect after I fried the motor) will stay up front, but I’ll have to replace the rear if/when I get that auxiliary tank. Genright suggests the Currie sway bars, but I’ll likely look into heavier or dual rate selectable options.

jadmt

ignore button user
AEV 4.5 hd coils will be stout but you sound heavy so might be perfect. You mention a new rear axle going in but you might want to address the front D44 as well if running 37's.

laxphatty

AEV 4.5 hd coils will be stout but you sound heavy so might be perfect. You mention a new rear axle going in but you might want to address the front D44 as well if running 37's.
The front should be good to go. It is the factory Rubicon D44, but it's fully built: Artec truss, control arm skids, Dynatrac ProSteer ball joints, Spyntec/Solid Axle Industries manual hub conversion to remove the weak unit bearing and add much stronger axle shafts and beefier U-Joints.

Also has modified steering knuckles to raise the tie rod so I could fit a straight 1.5" x .25" wall DOM tie rod with 7/8" heims. The drag link will be the same when I get my welder fired back up. Everything in the steering system is double-sheer and stout. Frankly, it handles like a sports car off road...

I'll take some photos of the front end when I get up to the shop.

laxphatty

Sooooo when are we gonna get to see this jeep ?
This is her after the hit and run that is (mostly) funding these modifications. A Camry hit her hard enough to push it four feet. The back left tire took most of the impact (hence the axle), but my homemade bumper took it like a champ with just some cool scuffing!

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg

Last edited:

harpersJK

Dang, that really doesn't look bad. I thought I had my mind made up...

I was tired of dealing with a sagging rear due to extra weight, I'm glad I went with the high capacity coils. I believe AEV nailed it with these, you definitely need 37's with flat fenders though.

Randy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier