Suspension Help for RAM 3500 - Remote reservoir or simple HD shocks

littledoc

I have a RAM 3500 (2007, manual) that I am adding a camper to. We are travelling across several countries and will be in some remote areas.

I have been recommended Icon Reservoir shocks but have concerns about whether this is a) overkill on a truck / camper combo or b) going to cause issues if something goes wrong and one needs to be replaced.

Old Man Emu or Bilsteins have been mentioned but OME do not make them for a RAM apparently and I was told Bilsteins would not cut the mustard.

The camper will likely be used mainly highway but definitely some off road, some very rough and slow off road but its a full ton with a camper so nothing too extreme. It will have the front end rebuilt, steering sorted and will; have a front and rear locker.

Any help / experience much appreciated.

D45

Explorer
Stock height? Lift? Leveled?

I ran Bilstein 5100 on my truck (2004 Dodge Ram 3500) when it was leveled on 35s and also later when it had a 6" lift on 37s.............the 5100s did fine.

I later dumped a lot on Bilstein 7100s (reservoir) front and rear..........did not like them.

Ride was stiff and the bushings seized up fast

I liked the 5100s because they have urethane bushings

They DO MAKE Bilsteins for your truck......just depends on your suspension

brodiee2

I have ran Bilsteins 5100s on several of my trucks now and in my opinion there isn't a better shock/strut for the money. They are well made and reliable and will far outperform stock or most budget replacement units. I don't see how they won't "cut the mustard" for you. If you are looking for a simple, reliable, good performing shock I think these are a no brainer!

littledoc

I have ran Bilsteins 5100s on several of my trucks now and in my opinion there isn't a better shock/strut for the money. They are well made and reliable and will far outperform stock or most budget replacement units. I don't see how they won't "cut the mustard" for you. If you are looking for a simple, reliable, good performing shock I think these are a no brainer!

Ok, good to know. Did you trucks have a heavy load too? And over rough terrain?

littledoc

Stock height? Lift? Leveled?

I ran Bilstein 5100 on my truck (2004 Dodge Ram 3500) when it was leveled on 35s and also later when it had a 6" lift on 37s.............the 5100s did fine.

I later dumped a lot on Bilstein 7100s (reservoir) front and rear..........did not like them.

Ride was stiff and the bushings seized up fast

I liked the 5100s because they have urethane bushings

They DO MAKE Bilsteins for your truck......just depends on your suspension

Likely a 2" or 2.5" lift. Tires Toyo AT2 .... likely 285 / 75 / 17 to keep the 'easy to purchase 17"' thing going. Were you carrying a decent load?

I would rather go standard shocks for compatibility / replacement. The remotes sound nice for adjustability and a smoother ride.

Eldgen

Builder of Dreams
I'm going to go with Fox 2.0 resi's with CTD (I think that's the acronym) so I can adjust the compression and rebound. I am in a similar boat as you, slow crawling around in Goliath and some medium speed washboard roads for many many miles. The resi gives me more stroke with the modified suspension and more fluid for better cooling during extended off-road trips in a near 11k pound truck when loaded. Considering it's the buffer between you and comfort/performance I say don't skimp.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Yours is not a Power Wagon, but close enough. Here is a link to lots of shock info on the PW site, and if you do a search there you will much shock and suspension discussion in other threads, including from a few guys with CTDs.

http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3044&sid=6350c098dcee29c8423c1961cb2c01ce

FWIW, I did some upgrades on my 2005 PW in the last 18 or so months. Lots of research and discussion about shocks, springs, air bags etc. I found that Thuren and Carli are both very willing to discuss your specific needs and will recommend products to suit those needs. They even recommend each other's products to fit specific situations, so I think the info is objective. I wound up with Thuren's tuned Fox 2.0 remotes on all four corners, new Carli spring packs in the rear with Firestone airbags and Daystar cups, Thuren's Boogie Bumps in front, Carli steering stabilizer, and DynaTrac ball joints. My truck is about 8500 pounds in travel trim, and the suspension, ride and steering are noticeably better than new. I also have a set of Carli control arms and a Carli track bar that will go on this summer. I think the consensus of the PW guys is that Bilsteins are good, but are not the optimal shocks for these trucks.

D45

Explorer
What is your suspension budget?.......that will tell us a lot

Do you need remote reservoirs? No.......will they run cooler and last longer? Probably

littledoc

What is your suspension budget?.......that will tell us a lot

Do you need remote reservoirs? No.......will they run cooler and last longer? Probably

We are going to be on a 3 year worldwide Overland trip so don't mind splashing out a bit to get the right thing.

littledoc

Yours is not a Power Wagon, but close enough. Here is a link to lots of shock info on the PW site, and if you do a search there you will much shock and suspension discussion in other threads, including from a few guys with CTDs.

http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3044&sid=6350c098dcee29c8423c1961cb2c01ce

FWIW, I did some upgrades on my 2005 PW in the last 18 or so months. Lots of research and discussion about shocks, springs, air bags etc. I found that Thuren and Carli are both very willing to discuss your specific needs and will recommend products to suit those needs. They even recommend each other's products to fit specific situations, so I think the info is objective. I wound up with Thuren's tuned Fox 2.0 remotes on all four corners, new Carli spring packs in the rear with Firestone airbags and Daystar cups, Thuren's Boogie Bumps in front, Carli steering stabilizer, and DynaTrac ball joints. My truck is about 8500 pounds in travel trim, and the suspension, ride and steering are noticeably better than new. I also have a set of Carli control arms and a Carli track bar that will go on this summer. I think the consensus of the PW guys is that Bilsteins are good, but are not the optimal shocks for these trucks.

Thanks, I will take a look at the forums mentioned. I would run with the prescribed (as in the default choice where my camper mods are done) resi shocks, my main concern is that if something happens to them in Mongolia or somewhere that i will not be able to replace and move on.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
For long trips you can carry a spare front shock, just keep one of your old ones. Leaf spring axles actually do ok if the shocks fall off, because they have a bit of friction in the leafs. It'll ride like the weak, bouncy, rocking chair shocks that GM puts on brand new trucks.

If your suspension travel is stock, then the 5100's are fine. Resevoirs are handy when you have extra suspension travel. The oil in the shock has to go somewhere when the shock is compressed. Sometimes we just run out of room. Who want to run excessively long shocks? If you don't need the big shocks, don't get them.

KSL22

Adventurer
I have the off the shelf Fox IFP 2.0 non reservoir. They are a little light in compression valving for me on the trail, but I doubt you will be pushing the speed with a camper. Remember shocks heat up fast on even washboard roads. The reservoir is a big help with cooling. I would not do anything under a 2.0 shock either way. If I was going to do it again I would have spent the extra money to get the specific valved shocks from Thuren or Carli. If you do happen to have issue out on your trip, a off the shelf shock will bolt in place of the reservoir shock as long as you stay with a pin-top shock.

txflyyaker

Observer
I am running the Icon shocks with 2" springs on a 2015 ram 2500 4x4 with the cummins. Ride is awesome, you will not be disappointed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94