Suspension for dual use '04 DC Tacoma

Taro

Hello all. I have a new to me 04 double cab Tacoma 4x4. The stock suspension is terrible and I bottom the rear often with my Leer fiberglass topper. I have spent countless hours reading threads on many forums but still have questions.

My vehicle is a daily driver that also serves as the camping/vacation rig. I also will remove the shell and haul motorcycles. As it sits I have a tube rear bumper that weighs 70 pounds and sliders should go on next month. Before the bumper my rear springs were already showing a negative arch.

My street bike weighs 500 pounds so I need the truck to handle that weight without destroying my springs but I only do that much weight on occasion. But if I don't have my bike loaded I have my shell mounted.

I have considered:
OME Dakar springs with or without the extra leaf.
Custom Deavers at $700+
airbags
timbrens

As far as lift. I don't care as long as the springs will suit my load concerns. I will buy whatever front suspension components I need to compliment the rear. I plan on sticking with a 265/75/16 tire.

The roads here in Socal are pretty bad and I don't want to get beat up driving to work. I understand there with have to be some compromise no matter what I choose.

Thanks

Gerdo

Observer
How extreme of a wheeler are you? What type trails do you want to do?

First I will tell you that the timbrens will carry a load but they are not great. They are just rubber. I have removed a set off a truck that I bought used. My view is that they are a cheap band-aid.

Replacement springs are a great way to go. It does take some test and trial to find the right strength. They will be a compromise. Too heavy when unloaded and too light when heavily loaded. Too stiff of a spring and you will minimize flex when wheeling light. A light spring will allow body roll and bottoming out when loaded.

Air bags are nice because you can adjust to the load at that time. If you run separate air lines to each bag then you can level from side to side. Separate air lines will also control body roll. They can limit flex. One fix is to have an air line that connects the two bags together. This will allow the air to leave one bag, when stuffing that wheel, to go to the drooped wheel bag. You can run a single line to both bags and add a shut off valve in between the two. This will allow control of body roll on road and open it to allow flex. If you want the air to flow from bag to bag you will want to go with larger air lines.

The best setup wound be heavier springs to handle your usual "light" load. And the air bags. Then you can add lift as the load increases. This is what I would do.

I hope the explanation of the air lines makes sense.

OldSven

Explorer
Either of those springs are great, my buddy is running the Dakar's on his but I want to say they are from a Prado style Tacoma because they are a different part number and actually hold more weight than the stock Tacoma Dakar's do but you really can beat the price of the Dakar's.

Haven't tried rear Timbrens but I kept my fronts and have them on the runner and they are awsome for smoothing out landings.

Taro

Thanks. That does help. I'm only planning on doing mild wheeling. I will do some trails occassionaly but nothing extreme. I'm concerned with flex as far as maintaining the overall function of the truck but it is not a top priority. For example I will take it on the John Bull trail in Big Bear. But I know the truck can do that stock. I just need the suspension to work better because it can't handle any load.

I'm thinking new springs are my best bet. I'm leaning towards Dakars because of cost. I'm just afraid of all the threads I see with people complaining about sagging. But I think that all brands have that issue.

Chadman

I had an 01' D-Cab that I pieced together a suspension for. I used OME 882 coils and Ome shocks. rear I used a deaver 1.5" long AAL and 1.5" Daystar shackle. with Ome shocks. I had sliders, a front TJM T-17 plate winch bumper, Frontrange offroad rear plate bumper. Fiberglass shell running 255/85-16 BFG KM's Drove it to Moab a couple times without shell, but bed fully loaded with camping gear and Mt. Bikes. Added a couple nights worth of firewood to it when I got close to my destination. Also a couple trips to Colorado. I really liked how it handled loaded and unloaded. On road and off. I sold it in 2007 to a good friend of mine in Arkansas. He is still using the same suspension set-up and wheels it occasionally. I know he hauls a 4x4 quad in it. Has a family of 4 that he takes on weekend wheeling/camping trips. and last time I talked to him this set-up is going strong.

I'm currently setting up a 2002 4Runner and I'm most definitely going to use a full OME set-up. Good overall suspension, and relatively Inexpensive and has served me well in the past. I also used a full OME suspension on a 2005 TJ Rubicon and it worked good too. Hope this helps.

Gerdo

Observer
I'm thinking new springs are my best bet. I'm leaning towards Dakars because of cost. I'm just afraid of all the threads I see with people complaining about sagging. But I think that all brands have that issue.

Start there. If you still need more capacity you can always add the air bags.

My suspension started with air bags. On the 4runner, the bag goes inside the coil. This causes some problems when totally flexed out. The bag floats to the center of the coil and can/did pull the air line off a few times. The bags were great because you dial in the capacity that you need for each load. They also rode great.

Taro

I think you may be right. I have a question about airbags. Will an airbag allow for full droop or limit down travel? I have look at the direct fit setup from firestone and it appears to be hard mounted on both sides.

Gerdo

Observer
I think you may be right. I have a question about airbags. Will an airbag allow for full droop or limit down travel? I have look at the direct fit setup from firestone and it appears to be hard mounted on both sides.

I have done some custom air bag suspensions on some camera cars for the film industry. You need to know the travel of your shocks and the travel of the bag. Yes the bags for your application would be hard mounted to both top and bottom. They should be a bag that is spec'd to allow full travel.

You can also go simple and have a schrader valve (like a tire) mounted that you inflate with an external air source. Or a built in compressor, valves, gauges and switches. Single sided or paired together.

Air bags alone can cure your issues. One big downside with air is slow leaks. If everything isn't perfectly tight, the system will leak. Sometimes in a matter of hours and sometimes in a matter of days. They all seam to leak some, more toward the days mark.

Taro

Ok. So I am getting the Dakars without the extra leaf. Anyone have a feeling on running OME shocks vs Bilstein 5100s? I've had good luck with the Bilstein shocks on other applications.

SPDSHFT

everything mentioned above are great avenues for the Tacoma. Another thing to consider is that your stock spring could just be sagging and a re-arch may be needed. What I did on my Tundra is get the ICON 3 leaf mini-pack. http://www.iconvehicledynamics.com/...{47}-2000-%2d-2006-Tundra-Rear-Add-a-Leaf-Kit
I installed it first w/o the overload leaf and it was a bit too soft. I then installed the O/L leaf w/the mini-pack and WOW!!! Night and day difference. I have a set of bolt in Radflo resi shocks in the rear, but for what your doing, the 5100's will work great.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Hundreds of thousands (literally) of miles in OME equipped Tacoma's, I can't think of anything that would satisfy my balanced need of performance, longevity and reliability. They can be tuned to match the needs of most customers and applications and the longevity is very proven. I'm running a 882/90004 with spacer front setup and a CS046/AAL rear spring setup on my '04, similar setup was on my '96. I've been through a half dozen different renditions between then and now, Tundra coils, Bilsteins, etc, in the end the balance I desire was best suited by the OME kit.

Poorboyota26

Adventurer
Give Alcan springs a call. They will engineer the spring to the way you want it. I got mine with 3" lift and +300# weight for topper and gear for 618 that included u-bolts and bushings. shipping is extra. THEY FRICKEN ROCK!!!!

bilsteins.

Taro

Hundreds of thousands (literally) of miles in OME equipped Tacoma's, I can't think of anything that would satisfy my balanced need of performance, longevity and reliability. They can be tuned to match the needs of most customers and applications and the longevity is very proven. I'm running a 882/90004 with spacer front setup and a CS046/AAL rear spring setup on my '04, similar setup was on my '96. I've been through a half dozen different renditions between then and now, Tundra coils, Bilsteins, etc, in the end the balance I desire was best suited by the OME kit.

Thanks for your imput. It is reassuring to hear a testimonial like that. About how much height did you gain with that setup. It looks like you carry a significant load. I'm now considering whether to go 881 or 882 as well. I don't have a front bumper, yet, but someday I intend to add something to protect the front. It's a cost issue really. I understand the spring rates are the same.

Taro

Give Alcan springs a call. They will engineer the spring to the way you want it. I got mine with 3" lift and +300# weight for topper and gear for 618 that included u-bolts and bushings. shipping is extra. THEY FRICKEN ROCK!!!!

bilsteins.

I have read good things about Alcan. What made me consider Deaver instead is location. I can pick up a set of custom Deavers on my lunch break and save the shipping cost, I work in a nearby city. I was also scared away by Alcan list of specs they wanted me to provide. I don't know how to get all that info. I should just call them to be a totally informed consumer. But I did call Deaver and was quoted over $700 for a custom pack. That's expensive and I'm not sure the cost is justified for my purposes. That was 2" lift and +300# with u-bolts.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Thanks for your imput. It is reassuring to hear a testimonial like that. About how much height did you gain with that setup. It looks like you carry a significant load. I'm now considering whether to go 881 or 882 as well. I don't have a front bumper, yet, but someday I intend to add something to protect the front. It's a cost issue really. I understand the spring rates are the same.

~2-3/4" in the front and 3-1/2" in the rear unloaded and 3" loaded. I'm a fairly heavy truck at both ends, dual bats, shower, bumper/winch and the back always has the tent and Bakkie rack. I'd guess my transient load is ~500 lbs on top of the standard weight?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne