Suspension Fault

Alex M

Observer
What are some possible issues that come along with a suspension fault. The light went on last week, but didnt come on again when i restarted it. However, this morning the light came on and doesn't go away. I have already replaced the compressor, do its not the original.

Thanks for any input.

DiscoNels

Adventurer
You really need a code reader and let us know the codes. Know anyone with an IID Tool, Nanocom Evolution, Auto Logic, etc to get the codes read?

It could be many many things causing a fault.

Alex M

Observer
That's what I thought. I was hoping maybe there was only a few possibilities. Unfortunately, I don't have a diagnostic tool. Guess im off to the mechanic.

Ray_G

Explorer
This is why a lot of us advise the IID tool, if you grab one on sale it pays for itself in 1-2 trips to a mechanic depending on shop hour rates.

As far as why the suspension is doing this, lots of reasons why it could be happening-to a degree it really matters when/how it's happening. (only at startup, while driving, etc).

Could be a dying battery, could be a brake light, a brake switch, a height sensor (prob not if you are static), etc. What messages are you getting?

Alex M

Observer
I only get a yellow light for the suspension and it says that i am limited to riding at normal height and that i cannot use the different terrain settings.

Mx468

Observer
Stays yellow

Do you have the navigation screen? if so go into the 4x4 screen and see if any of your wheels are jumping all over the screen. Could be a suspension height sensor problem. I've been dealing with all sorts of suspension problems the last 2 years but I think I finally solved them. Knock on wood. I feel like a suspension guru now. :) Oh did you get the new amk compressor or replaced it with another hitachi or a aftermarket dunlop compressor, if so, you need to update the software if it's the AMK. Not sure about the Dunlop ones.
Here's what I would do:
1. Check Nav screen like stated above
2. Change out brake switch
3. Check brake lights
4. battery
5. Wires under driver & passenger sills for corrosion
6. Wires in the front drivers wheel arch and back driver side wheel arch, there's wires there which are proned to the elements and sometime corrode.

Last edited:

A.J.M

Explorer
Does the IID tool have any functionality for use on a non-registered VIN?

Yes. While mine is locked to my D3.

I can check, and clear fault codes on any D3/4, RRS, L322,L405 etc.

It can check everything from injector flow rates, to the pressure output and temperature of the compressor.
I used it on 2 cars last night, both to trace suspension light issues.
One is a front valve block, the other is a dead compressor, he got 11 years out of the Hitachi model which is good going.

You will need to get the codes read, they will point out what's up and where to go to check/replace.

Alex M

Observer
I have an appointment this morning to get it checked out. Its worse today. Yesterday it was at normal ride height and drove fine. Today it is riding low (per my nav screen 4x4 info) and you feel every bump.

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
I have an appointment this morning to get it checked out. Its worse today. Yesterday it was at normal ride height and drove fine. Today it is riding low (per my nav screen 4x4 info) and you feel every bump.

Hope it's nothing too major. Keep us updated!

Alex M

Observer
Well ********

Here is what the mechanic said needs to be replaced. I am new to the Minneapolis area so this is the first time I have used this mechanic, but they have really good reviews. The grand total to fix everything is quoted at $7700, which nearly totals the vehicle. They have found issues with the radiator (said its leaking) in addition to the suspension issues. I am not the most mechanically inclined. I do have family who know a good bit, but I don't think they have ever seen a Land Rover up close until mine.

I am open to your guys opinions and input on whether or not these are things that I should try and do. I have a hard time putting $7700 into something that is worth $10,000 on a good day. Below is what the mechanic has quoted which is $2200 labor and $5300 in parts plus tax:

The suspension pump & relay have failed, (the leak in the rear struts caused the pump and relay to fail). Need to replace pump, relay, and both rear struts to
restore proper suspension function.
Labor: 657.45 Parts: Shock Absorber Rear $1960, Pump w/ Relay $1300, Programming Pump $175

Alignment: $139

Both front wheel bearings & drivers rear wheel bearing are loose - recommend replacing wheel bearings to maintain vehicle safety.
Labor: $806 Parts: Wheel Hub Assembly Front $411, Wheel Bearing Kit RE $171

Both front wheel bearings & drivers rear wheel bearing are loose - recommend replacing wheel bearings to maintain vehicle safety.
Labor: $418 Parts: Radiator - Plastic T $777, Thermostat Assembly $229

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-04 at 4.09.59 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-01-04 at 4.09.59 PM.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles