Suspension Fault C1130-66

tmrws

2006 Land Rover Discovery 3 SE w 157k miles

I started receiving this Suspension fault a few months ago.

C1130-66 (68) or (2C)
Air Spring Air Supply
Algorithm based failure
signal has too many transitions / events

I believe there is a tear in the Front Passenger side air bag because I can hear a noticeable air leak at low speeds when hitting bumps or making turns. The sound is not constant, only comes in short bursts. I don't notice it at higher speeds or when the car is parked. It seems to leak more when I put it in Off Road mode.

If I put it in Off Road mode with the engine running, I can get out and shake the truck and get it to make the sound. So if it's rocking side to side, it only makes the sound when it's going in one direction.

I'm at the point where I plan to order a new OEM air spring and front strut assembly off of Amazon for $250. Is there any other considerations or troubleshooting I should attempt before making this purchase? Does it sound like it could be any other culprit, height sensors, etc?

Is there a code lookup that is more specific for troubleshooting that exact code I received above?

Thanks for any and all help!

*EXTRA INFO

I sprayed with soapy water around the air suspension components, no bubbles anywhere. I removed the fuse for the suspension and measured wheel well heights, car remained fairly level after 24hrs.

The truck is only driven a couple times a week while in the city and gets taken off roading several times a year.

A year ago I had a tire patched and the mechanic placed the jack under the compressor and damaged the lower cover. After buying a new lower cover and checking the electrical, the compressor has seemed to run a bit longer than it used to but I don't know or think this is necessarily related.

Blaise

If the truck isn't sinking overnight, you don't have a leak. Have you tried giving it more time to sink? Throwing parts at the truck isn't going to solve the issue, I think it's best to spend a little more time figuring it out.

I haven't had this error but if it's specific to a corner, I'd be looking hard at the height sensor.

amcjen

A year ago I had a tire patched and the mechanic placed the jack under the compressor and damaged the lower cover. After buying a new lower cover and checking the electrical, the compressor has seemed to run a bit longer than it used to but I don't know or think this is necessarily related.

I did this exact thing changing a flat tire in the rain one night—the hole in the frame that the jack inserts into looks almost identical to the drain hole in the plastic cover of the compressor. Mine runs longer now too and more often—I plan to do a full rebuild of the compressor come winter.

Something else to look at—there are three valve blocks—maybe you’re hearing the noise from that? The front one is just in front of the front right hand wheel. If so, you can rebuild all three valve blocks for ~$30 and a few hours on a weekend. I rebuilt mine and it levels and holds level much better now. Compressor is next on my list though.

tmrws

Thanks for the replies.

Based on other threads I've read through, the air bags can make it hard to detect a leak when the bags are overlapping and in a lower position. Just depends where the tear is located. I can very specifically hear and feel air coming from near the air bag, but since it's behind that aluminum shield, it's hard to see exactly from which part.

Would a faulty height sensor produce these same results? Since there's a few codes specific to height sensors, wouldn't the ECU throw a different fault?

Looking for a specific troubleshooting method that would narrow this down.

TOUGE

My LR3 had this code the whole time I owned it. It would only happen after about 20 min of dirt roads but never on even the worst streets. I know my front valve block was leaking as the front sank equally over night and the rear stayed level and pulling the fuses the front still sank. I bought a new valve block but never got around to installing it.

I also changed all 4 height sensors while I owned the car and that fixed another code but not that one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles