Survival Sack: When things go bad...

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Having a HAM radio, like the Yaesu FT-7800, modified to transmit on LE, marine, or aviation freq's is part of my equipment. As the old saying goes, it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Mark

toyota_jon

Adventurer
Absolutely wonderful thread! great ideas. i had a question while reading all of this from a survival standpoint would a dog be considered an asset or liability? when i go out my gf sometimes comes with me, if she doesn't maybe 1/2 the time i'll have someone riding shotgun. but my dog ALWAYS comes.

I tend to think of him as an asset while i'm out. he does require food and water as do i which does use up valuable resources, and i do have to keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't get into trouble, such as a porcupine or other animal. but he adds a lot to the situation. if anything comes near, either 2 or 4 legged he'll know long before i do and let me know, so i can be ready. if i'm incapacitated, his barking or movement is something for others to see and hear. He's another body to keep warm with. and as someone else mentioned when in a stressful situation having a little reassurance can go a long way towards your state of mind. and if things go REALLY bad he is a source of food. man i'd be shook up if i ever had to but it is a reality.

what do you guys think?

cruisertoy

Explorer
haven said:
Costco.com has an emergency food supply for sale. It's a 10 gallon bucket packed with 275 dehydrated vegetarian meals (lots of soy powder protein, no doubt). The regular cost is $85, but now it's only $75, shipping included.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...11219554&ec=BC-EC877-CatHome&pos=9&lang=en-US

Here's the description of the contents

275 Servings
All Meals 100% Vegetarian and Vitamin Fortified
Sealed in convenient Weather-Proof bucket for easy transport

30 Servings - Potato w/ Bacon
25 Servings - Corn Chowder
25 Servings - Ala King
25 Servings - Cacciatore
25 Servings - Western Stew
25 Servings - Country Noodle
25 Servings - Rice Lentil
45 Servings - Whey Milk
25 Servings - Blueberry Pancakes
25 Servings - Barley Vegetable

Total Weight: 23 lbs.

The product has a 20 year shelf life if stored in a cool location. I suppose the shelf life is a lot less if you keep the bucket in your truck.

I own a few of the costco kits, but don't see them as a viable "truck kit". They are dehydrated not freeze dried so you have to boil them for a long time before they are soft and palletable. The problem I see with them is the fuel to cook them. In my home preparedness stuff I have enough fuel (white gas and propane) to cook everything I have stored. 275 servings being boiled for 20 minutes each might take a ton of fuel. I'm not discouraging anyone from this type of food, just make sure you can prepare it in an emergency.

JeepinBear

Explorer
I need to reload my spreadsheets (pdf's) from before the attachments started disappearing, but I finally got around to taking some pics of the gear.

DSC00819.JPG

DSC00804.JPG

You can see them here...
http://picasaweb.google.com/Patrick.Behrendt/SurvivalGear?feat=directlink

Last edited:

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Forgive my ignorance...
In a survival situation, what purpose do bolt cutters serve?
It seems like the weight and size alone would ensure they wouldn't make it into my ditch bag...

teotwaki

Excelsior!
When the zombies have you cornered at a padalocked door you'll be wishing for those bolt cutters... :smilies27 :eek:

jesusgatos

Explorer
I don't know why, but I freakin' LOVE this.
One Item I would never go with out on any adventure trip is a .45 acp sidearm. with which I can... clip fruit out of trees...

Regarding the bolt-cutters, what kind of emergencies are you guys preparing for? If we're talking about ADV-type adventure preparedness, that's kind of a different scenario than a zombie uprising or natural disaster or whatever. Maybe just think about where you/we spend the majority of your/our time.

I put together a pack for riding dirt bikes a while ago, after reading this toolkit thread on ADV. I had always had bags of useful MMMM around, for riding mountain bikes and whatever, but the amount of ground that we can cover on dirt bikes is amazing, and we end up a lot further out there than when we're traveling by other means. So I gave a little bit of thought to emergency-type stuff, but it's basically a tool-pack. I've ended up carrying this bag with me a lot even when I'm not riding, and almost always when I'm traveling. Substitute a few of the basic hand-tools, upsize the ratchets to 3/8" drive stuff and it makes great bag to throw in your car/truck (as a break-down bag).

That's usually the biggest emergency that I plan for/expect, and with this bag I don't need anything more than a few specialty vehicle-specific tools to service any part of my Tacoma (that I could repair on the road). So what I've started doing is just keeping a separate bag of those tools/parts in each vehicle, whether that's a spark plug for each dirt bike or tools for my truck or whatever. I've made some more recent changes with the bag/gear that I'm carrying, and I made a few later posts in that thread about what and why. But mostly, I wanted to provide a link to that thread because I found a lot of that info of useful stuff and for me... tools equals survival WAY more often than anything else.

jesusgatos said:
Reading this thread got me motivated to put together a nice little toolkit.

jesusgatos_tools_02.jpg

from left-to-right:
L-shaped handle with assorted allen bits & screwdriver bits
sparkplug socket (from a KTM toolkit? don't remember)
6, 8, 10, 12, 14mm sockets, stored on a carb needle puller tool
hex-drive 1/4" socket adapter
1/4" wobble extension
short 1/4" extension
Husky 1/4" and hex driver
8/10 & 12/14 open-end combo wrenches (looking for better quality replacements for the ones I'm carrying)
spoke wrench (need to buy a smaller/lighter one)
locking surgical scissors
Craftsman duckbill adjustable wrench (just big enough for the axle nuts on my bikes)
Irwin 6LN needle-nose locking vise-grips
small combo pliers
hacksaw blade (cut to same length as tire levers)
shop towel (paper)
shop towel (cotton)
nitril gloves
1qt oil containers (I keep all my tools in these)

Wachs showed me this trick a while ago and I think it's a great way to carry tools.

jesusgatos_tools_03.jpg

Roll 'em up.

jesusgatos_tools_04.jpg

Stuff everything into one of the containers.

jesusgatos_tools_05.jpg

Then slide one over other container to create a really compact little toolcase and you don't have to worry about sharp tools poking through fabric, tubes, water bladders, kidneys, etc. Plus, the containers are pretty handy for transferring fuel, or oil or whatever.

jesusgatos_tools_06.jpg

from bottom-right counterclockwise:
21" tube (carry a rear too on longer trips)
two Motion-Pro tire-levers
hacksaw blade (also shown in previous pictures, I store it with the tire-levers)
Blackburn mtb pump w/ 550 paracord wrapped around handle (because a length of rope is always handy to have)
patch kit
spare valve core (stored in a valve stem I cut out of an old tube)
valve-core tool
small amount of radiator stop-leak
spare spark plug (for whatever bike I'm riding)
liquid-steel (or equivalent) two-part epoxy, wrapped with electrical & duct tape (post-it notes stored inside tube w/ epoxy)
surgical tubing (for transferring fuel)
assorted zip-ties
master-links (for whatever bike I'm riding)
misc. hardware
electrical stuff - spare fuses, butt-splice connectors, bullet-connectors, assorted electrical terminal-ends, shrink-tube, etc.
length of 16ga hi-temp electrical wire
bicycle derailleur cable (to use as emergency replacement for any broken cables)
butt-splice connector for fuel-line
*I've been meaning to go buy some hose-clamps

jesusgatos_tools_07.jpg

from bottom-right counterclockwise:
emergency water-filter straw (carry a better one on longer rides)
lighter
flashlight (would like to replace that Mag-lite with a little LED headlamp)
pocket knife (CRKT M16T)
mini-compass (carry GPS & paper maps most of the time)
tinder / fire-starters (in that little red headlamp container)
space-pen
Fox40 whistle & magnesium flint
chapstick
pipe & smoke
earplugs
Krazy Glue (for glueing skin back together)
Visene
sanitary wipes & toilet paper
mini-saw
emergency space-blanket
assorted first-aid stuff & container (old glasses case) for first-aid stuff

jesusgatos_tools_08.jpg

Bag-of-choice to haul all this crap. I really like these DaKine packs. Pictured is the Apex. The Nomad and Drafter are both nice packs too (I have one of each of them). Feature-for-feature, I think they're WAY nicer than Camelbak's packs. But the Nalgene bladders they come with SUCK (I use Camelbak bladders).

jesusgatos_tools_01.jpg

I used almost every tool, spare part and piece of survival gear that I was carrying while we were riding up in Gifford Pinchot last weekend.

TOTJ

Adventurer
I have read this whole thread and there are some great kits
that I have seen but I would like to make apoint about food.
I work for a disaster preparedness company and have some insight.
1st you should not count on MRE's specialy if you dont know how
they were stored befor you got them. Here is a chart on it shelf
life depending on temp. Because there is liquide in MRE's they can go bad
earlier then the experation date.
mre_storage_chart.gif

Since your food is only for emergiancy you should buy a food for that
purpose. Something that is not thurst provoking, No nuts or tropical
oils. You maybe able to eat nuts but what if there is some one with you
that has a reaction to the nuts like a child.
Not affected by temp or moisture. does not need to be cooked
has a long shelf life is compact but high in carbs.
The food bars are a baked food that has no transfats but has 2400cal
and only weighs 1.3lbs. You only need 800 cal per day per the\coastguard
for survival.
We manufacture these bars but regardless of brand they are all
about the same.
1A_det_emergency_food.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94