Survival Sack: When things go bad...

seriessearcher

Adventurer
One Item not mentioned

When i was in boy scouts we would make a miny blade / saw out of a hack saw blade. You can cut it down to 2/3 length. Sharper one side with a grinder to have an edge, the blade side remains untouched. Wrap a handle with duct tape and you have a cheap solution to a saw / blade. Most multi tools have a blade / saw, but this insures you keep it with the kit and do not use it / misplace it. These can be had for pennies, so easy to replace and experiment with.

Other than that great thread with great advice and resources.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
alpha_nett said:
you can carry a rifle or shotgun in your vehicle in California if they are not loaded. and a pistol if its in a closed case. i put the ammo in the bottom center compartment. when i go up in the sticks the pistol comes out of the case though.
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/travel.php
go to this site and print this page and keep it with your truck. it says nothing about where the ammo must be. so i keep my ammo loaded it the magazine and in easy reach.

Pretty sure that here in California that a loaded magazine is considered tantamount to a loaded weapon even when out of the weapon, despite what the law actually says

California Penal Code Section 626.9 excerpted

For purposes of this section, a firearm shall be deemed to be loaded when there is an unexpended cartridge or shell, consisting of a case that holds a charge of powder and a bullet or shot, in, or attached in any manner to, the firearm, including, but not limited to, in the firing chamber, magazine, or clip thereof attached to the firearm. A muzzle-loader firearm shall be deemed to be loaded when it is capped or primed and has a powder charge and ball or shot in the barrel or cylinder

I know it says ".... attached to the firearm" but maybe leave an empty one in the weapon and keep the loaded one far away?

From the CHP website

I will be traveling to California and want to carry my weapon. I currently have a concealed weapon permit. How can I legally transport my weapon while driving through the state?

California law does not recognize concealed weapon permits from other states; therefore, they would not be held valid. If you wish to transport a handgun during your California visit, it should be carried unloaded in a locked container. In the absence of a suitable container, you may secure the unloaded handgun in the locked trunk of a passenger car. Ammunition may be kept in the same container or trunk, but the handgun must remain unloaded with no rounds in the cylinder and no loaded magazines in the magazine well.

If you have additional questions, contact the California Department of Justice at 916-227-3703.

alpha_nett

teotwaki said:
Pretty sure that here in California that a loaded magazine is considered tantamount to a loaded weapon even when out of the weapon, despite what the law actually says

California Penal Code Section 626.9 excerpted

For purposes of this section, a firearm shall be deemed to be loaded when there is an unexpended cartridge or shell, consisting of a case that holds a charge of powder and a bullet or shot, in, or attached in any manner to, the firearm, including, but not limited to, in the firing chamber, magazine, or clip thereof attached to the firearm. A muzzle-loader firearm shall be deemed to be loaded when it is capped or primed and has a powder charge and ball or shot in the barrel or cylinder

I know it says ".... attached to the firearm" but maybe leave an empty one in the weapon and keep the loaded one far away?

From the CHP website

I will be traveling to California and want to carry my weapon. I currently have a concealed weapon permit. How can I legally transport my weapon while driving through the state?

California law does not recognize concealed weapon permits from other states; therefore, they would not be held valid. If you wish to transport a handgun during your California visit, it should be carried unloaded in a locked container. In the absence of a suitable container, you may secure the unloaded handgun in the locked trunk of a passenger car. Ammunition may be kept in the same container or trunk, but the handgun must remain unloaded with no rounds in the cylinder and no loaded magazines in the magazine well.

If you have additional questions, contact the California Department of Justice at 916-227-3703.

this seems pretty clear, piston to be in a locked container, unloaded, both the chamber and the magazine. no real laws on ammunition storage. but i have always heard to keep them stored separate. i think it is a good rule of thumb.

i would think to keep a weapon "visually" unloaded, having the slide locked to the rear and no magazine in it would be best. having the piston like this and in a locked container, with the ammo stored separately, i would imagine be legal in all 50 states.

JeepinBear

Explorer
My Outdoor Survival Checklist

Hello all,

I'm very new to the forum and I have to say, I really like what I've seen so far. I'm simply amazed at the level of information, camaraderie, and dedication everyone is showing.

I'm an ex USAF aircrew member who was lucky enough to attend survival training in WA. Some things just stuck with me. I'm also a gadget nut and my wife calls me "Mr. Spreadsheet" as I tend to be way overly organized.

I've attached a list (.pdf) :coffee: that I use as a generic survival equipment list. I also plan on joining a local SAR outfit and most of this stuff is "required" by NASAR.

I also maintain a list for my Jeep that includes recovery gear, etc but that is probably for another thread.

Keep up the great work everyone! The is a VERY valuable source of information!
View attachment Gadget List.pdf

Last edited:

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
That's a pretty extensive list. Thanks for posting that up.

Now, I want to see the size of the bag that holds all of that stuff. Any photos?

JeepinBear said:
Hello all,

I'm very new to the forum and I have to say, I really like what I've seen so far. I'm simply amazed at the level of information, camaraderie, and dedication everyone is showing.

I'm an ex USAF aircrew member who was lucky enough to attend survival training in WA. Some things just stuck with me. I'm also a gadget nut and my wife calls me "Mr. Spreadsheet" as I tend to be way overly organized.

I've attached a list (.pdf) :coffee: that I use as a generic survival equipment list. I also plan on joining a local SAR outfit and most of this stuff is "required" by NASAR.

I also maintain a list for my Jeep that includes recovery gear, etc but that is probably for another thread.

JeepinBear

Explorer
I'll have to make sure I read the article Scott. (I'm still learning about all the resources as I'm still new to all of this).

tdesanto: With the exception of the items listed in their own bags (supplemental gear, Special packs, etc) all of it fits in one Tactical Vest with a small (1900cu in) backpack attached to the back.

No pics yet...I'll have to get some and post them. I can grab it quick and throw it in the back of the jeep before I go, in an emergency I can be in "survival mode" in a flash.

I've attached my Jeep list as well that shows the other "survival" type items I keep in the back (they are at the bottom of the list).
View attachment More gadgets.pdf

It never hurts to be prepared, but it can hurt when you're not!

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
JeepinBear said:
Hello all,

The green laser "flare" is on my wish list too!!! :D

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i had a big ditch bag, but saw the rediculousness of it all. as it sits now all my ditch stuff fits in a small travel shaving kit bag. it goes in a camelback day pack with a military poncho, large knife, headlamp and water purifyer.

its all the same stuff i carry on a multi night backpack trip less the food, cooking stuff, clothes, sleeping bag and tent.

my needs may differ from someone in a different climate, or a different country. i figure i will be at or near my truck so this stuff wont even really come into play, if something happens while on a day hike i wont be more than that far from the truck either, so even the worst case scenario in my world i'll only be away from the truck for one nite.

but what if i loose the truck? what if i get injured and cant walk back to the truck? well thats what my wife is for, she knows where i went and when i'll be back,,, the basics i keep in the bag will keep me fine till help arrives. when the truck is found there is a very basic note with direction of travel and approximate route inside to be found. i dont need to eat everyday or change my clothes, just need to stay out of the elements, dry and hydrated.

just to make sure i could do it i spend a w/e on this bag once. i spent a 4 day w/e on the box in the truck. i feel confident in my abilities to stay ok should something happen.

i think if you practice this situation in mock, even overnite in your backyard, you'll have a much better understanding of what you really need.

JeepinBear

Explorer
Hey Rhino...

Trust me, I know this is overkill but that's where the gadget geek side of me kicks in. Almost all of this could be replaced with an EPIRB like the MicroFix which would direct SAR forces right to me within a matter of a few hours.

For my personality, half the fun is collecting the items and "coon-fingering" the gadgets from time to time. I do the same things with my firearms...I DEFINITELY don't need hem all, but they'e nice to have and shoot from time to time.

P.S. "Coon-fingering" if you haven't heard of it is not a perverted term. It simply means handling something like an interested raccoon might :ylsmoke: you get the image in your mind?

RHINO

Expedition Leader
hey patrick,, yeah i know excactly where your commin from. i like coon fingering stuff too, especially gadgets and tools. so i understand, and believe me i have a whole mess of stuff that i keep in the truck, i just came to the conclusion that i'm never too far from the truck unless i'm backpacking, and when i'm doing that i have everything i need to be comfy for a fairly long term stay, providing i can find or catch food when mine runs out.
the ditch bag is just a small assortment of must have items that could help me stay comfy for a night if needed, ya know, shelter, fire, and water. honestly if i were really taking an excursion to a place far away form anyone else i would be prepared, but, with a few exceptions its pretty hard to do that in the USA anymore.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
"The explorer would do well always to have on his person a compass, a light waterproof bag containing matches, a waterproof box of salt, and a strong, light, linen or silk fish-line with several hooks, a knife, and an automatic at his belt, with several loaded magazines for the latter in his pocket. Thus provided, if accidentally lost for several days in the forest, he will be provided with the possibility of getting game and making himself shelter and fire at night."

-Theodore Roosevelt

From "Through the Brazilian Wilderness" 1914

BiG BoB

Adventurer
I'm from a slightly different climate, so there'll be some notable exceptions here....

First of all some background.. I spend a good portion of my life exploring for one thing or another (uranium, iron, gold, nickel, lead, zinc) and I often travel / work alone.

I have a bunch of things that live in my backpack, which is always with me, they are:

Water, atleast 2L
Basic 1st aid kit with a few extras (superglue stuff, imodium, water purifying tablets, emergency blanket, paracetamol, ventolin)
Swiss army knife
lighter, electrical tape to waterproof it
electrical and duct tape
Chocolate

That's all I really need... the blanket is more for signaling, and maybe as rain protection as it's doesn't get too cold in northern Aus. There's no reason to ever leave a stranded vehicle.

When I'm not travelling for work I also carry an Epirb, we have a very strict SAR policy/procedure at work and an epirb is not neccessary

Sean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz