Survival Sack: When things go bad...

NvCruiser

This is a great thread. A quick word about the emergency blankets, they suck. They are the small compact ones that feel like tin foil. They are not durable enough and tear in the wind very easy. I still carry two in my bag just to stuff inside clothes if need be, but keep them out of weather. I have been in a situation out snowmobiling and needed something for warmth and those are not it. I also carry a set of 100% waterproof rain gear, pants and jacket. I snowmobile and winter tour so if I fall in some water then I can use that for a shell. I also carry a nice fleece top and bottom. If I get wet I can change into that and then the waterproof shell and I'm cozy again. I also carry tampons. So when someone is complaining I toss them one. Just kidding, sort of. Humor has is place in survival too. I do carry them though. Great fire starters. Dip them in a gas can if you have one and they swell up and make a great fire starter. And they have a string attached to aid in this. Should be in every car bag. I will add more later....

Lynn

Expedition Leader
NvCruiser said:
...I also carry tampons. So when someone is complaining I toss them one. Just kidding, sort of. Humor has is place in survival too. I do carry them though. Great fire starters. Dip them in a gas can if you have one and they swell up and make a great fire starter. And they have a string attached to aid in this. Should be in every car bag. I will add more later....

Great point. I carry maxi pads in my first aid kits. Think about it: cheap, super absorbent, steril, and designed to soak up blood...

After a bike accident I offered one to my buddy, but he decided he'd rather have blood streaming down his face ;)

A great thread thanks, Just had one comment. about every 2 years go through and make sure that everything works and all the medication/First aid stuff you have is in date. I was just revamping 3 of my first aid kits and discovered that ALL the iodine prep pads, medicated wipes etc. were dry and cracked as well as being 3 years out of date. it cost me 20$ to replace the miscelanious parts and swabs that I needed. on a side note I have had some glow sticks since about 1995 I think, I had an extra one so I popped it and it lighted right up so I added one to each kit. sometime the shelf life extends past what is on the package.
PS I moved my mother out of her house to another about 2 years ago she had some things that expired in 1983...:oops:
CHECK THE DATES ON YOUR STUFF

MaddBaggins

Explorer
My bag that I carry everytime I go out to the boonies contains
Rain jacket and pants
garbage bag type rain poncho
solar blanket
first aid kit
duct tape wrapped around a pen
full Zippo
compass with mirror
Swiss army knife
small binocs
some 6' lengths of rope
drugs (over the counter kind not illegal)
snake bite kit
2 qts water
Sweetwater filter
4-5 granola bars
bag of nuts
bag of dried fruit
can of sardines or smoked oysters
flashlight
bandana
.45 auto and extra clip or the .357 and a handful of extra bullets

All of that fits well into my Jansport daypack with room to spare. I always wear my Danner boots when I'm out also. Not flip flops or tennis shoes. My hat is either on my head or on the dashboard.

MaddBaggins

Explorer
I'd like to add that I've used my old school Zippo at altitudes approaching 11k and it worked just as well as it does at 2k. Yes they do dry up, but if you have a bug out bag you should regularly check it out anyway and make sure all your junk is in it and working. Or just get a small bottle of Ronsonal and toss it in the pack.

If your'e in a pine forest, the best fire wood is the knotted branch ends and the gnarly roots of Ponderosa pine trees. Especially if you can get the stinky, reddish pink root wood. That stuff will light up like you wouldn't believe and burn hot. It also throws a lot of black smoke. Get some of that wood, shave it into splinters and shavings and use that for your fire starter, then put larger chunks of it on and watch it burn.

Lynn said:
Great point. I carry maxi pads in my first aid kits. Think about it: cheap, super absorbent, steril, and designed to soak up blood...

After a bike accident I offered one to my buddy, but he decided he'd rather have blood streaming down his face ;)

I carry maxi pads too. But for my fiance. It's hard enough to deal with her when it's that time of month. I could not imagine being stuck someplace at that time of month. I carry enough for 4 months.

offroad_nomad

Adventurer
Just remember, don't put the sticky side on the wound, use the other side.

We were doing some first aid/trauma training and one of our "victims" had a head wound. A teammate dug out one of his feminine hygene pads and stuck it to the head wound. Satisfied with his quick handy work, he moved on to triage another. I've got a picture somewhere of our "victim" walking around after with the pad stuck to his forehead and a dumb look on his face. :xxrotflma

Lynn said:

alpha_nett

this is my post-military civilian survival bag. i keep this stuff in my pack plus food and clothes on any kind of trip. the aid bag i wouldnt carry on a hike, just pack a few more medical things in the main pack. i am trying to be more organized with my truck packed stuff. i will be making a few bags that just stay in the truck, with all of my crap in them.
house001-1.jpg

sorry about the small text. bad planing on my part. if you really want to see the labeling, save the picture and you can zoom in. it will come in clear. i tired it.
house005-1.jpg

i think some important survival items are:
Navigation(compass{3 in my pack},map, GPS)
Medical(even if its just band-aids)
Protection(gun,mace, condom) at one of them
Communication(i will have a handheld CB soon)
A good plan
and some kind of blade

alpha_nett said:
this is my post-military civilian survival bag. i keep this stuff in my pack plus food and clothes on any kind of trip. the aid bag i wouldnt carry on a hike, just pack a few more medical things in the main pack. i am trying to be more organized with my truck packed stuff. i will be making a few bags that just stay in the truck, with all of my crap in them.

Wow!:Wow1:

You just got my wheels spinning. Going to start adding to my stuff.
The pics work great. Thanks.

Oh what are those two things next to the pistol?

Last edited:

alpha_nett

Streakerfreak said:
Wow!:Wow1:

You just got my wheels spinning. Going to start adding to my stuff.
The pics work great. Thanks.

Oh what are those two things next to the pistol?

i think that you are talking about the red and black square things?? well, they are the same, one is just turned over. they are clip on red safety lights. with like 5 different blinking options and a fulltime on mode. good for the dogs collar, or night hiking(for you or the camp)

can anyone read my little text on the pictures. if not i will make a list of it all.

alpha_nett said:
i think that you are talking about the red and black square things?? well, they are the same, one is just turned over. they are clip on red safety lights. with like 5 different blinking options and a fulltime on mode. good for the dogs collar, or night hiking(for you or the camp)

can anyone read my little text on the pictures. if not i will make a list of it all.

Ah okay. I have stuff like that. Yeah I tried zooming in and it was too blurry. Most of the stuff there you just need a little common sense to know what you are looking at though. So no biggie.

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
Great thread. Lots off good information and ideas. Living here in Southern California I always keep an earthquake kit in my truck. Contains most all of the above mentioned items in a pack. Can beat feet if need be, but would rather stay with the truck. Transportation and shelter all in one. The 'BIG ONE' is coming. Would hate to be in West L.A. wearing loafers when it hits.
BTW, What's it like to live in a state where you can legally carry a weapon (in your vehicle) to protect yourself.

alpha_nett

Mc Taco said:
Great thread. Lots off good information and ideas. Living here in Southern California I always keep an earthquake kit in my truck. Contains most all of the above mentioned items in a pack. Can beat feet if need be, but would rather stay with the truck. Transportation and shelter all in one. The 'BIG ONE' is coming. Would hate to be in West L.A. wearing loafers when it hits.
BTW, What's it like to live in a state where you can legally carry a weapon (in your vehicle) to protect yourself.

you can carry a rifle or shotgun in your vehicle in California if they are not loaded. and a pistol if its in a closed case. i put the ammo in the bottom center compartment. when i go up in the sticks the pistol comes out of the case though.
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/travel.php
go to this site and print this page and keep it with your truck. it says nothing about where the ammo must be. so i keep my ammo loaded it the magazine and in easy reach.

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
alpha_nett,
Thanks for the link. I've got to get a locked case for the Sig. Don't want to have to pick up trash along side the freeway.
:gunt:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier