Vanilla Gorilla: 2017 Power Wagon build

TommyG

Adventurer
I thought they looked deep. Are the tires 12.50s or 13.50s? Thinking of those wheels for my Wagon.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
got the new Morimoto LED replacement housings in on Friday and installed them Saturday. i was immediately impressed with the quality of construction - they are easily on par if not exceeding OEM, and are totally sealed and IP69 rated. They use dual bi-kuria LED optics with osram chips, and they are BRIGHT. Easily one of the best upgrades i have done to this vehicle.

Untitled by Will Marshal, on Flickr

low beam

high beam

all in all, when i took them out to Aim them, i was totally blown away with the quality of the light. They totally outperform my HIR2 bulbs by a signficant magnitude.

Sigh. I was hoping these weren't any good so I wouldn't have to justify spending $1400 to upgrade my OE craplights.

The OE low beams are what I can't stand.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
Sigh. I was hoping these weren't any good so I wouldn't have to justify spending $1400 to upgrade my OE craplights.

the OEM projectors respond really well to HIR2 bulbs. The OEM quad beam reflectors respond really well to the Morimoto 2Stroke 2.0 drop in LED bulbs. These new housings though, are a knock out of the park. Im SO impressed.

ttengineer

Adventurer
I just wish they offered them in a chrome housing, other wise I would have bought them.

But I did just wrap up my full D2S 4.0 retro fit with 50w ballasts and I’m super happy with the result.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bayou Boy

Adventurer

I am extremely happy with my Morimoto HIDs in the OE Projector low beams. Serious upgrade from stock and I have never been flashed once in 12 months of having them installed.

marshal - HIR2 bulbs are really cheap, if they are a nice upgrade over OE lows that would be hard to argue with. Where do the Profile LEDs that you ran belong in the relative performance rating vs. HIR2, Mori HIDs, and your shiny new toys?

Bayou - $215 on TRS website, seems like a reasonable price if the performance is there. Which bulb did you choose?

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
marshal - HIR2 bulbs are really cheap, if they are a nice upgrade over OE lows that would be hard to argue with. Where do the Profile LEDs that you ran belong in the relative performance rating vs. HIR2, Mori HIDs, and your shiny new toys?

Bayou - $215 on TRS website, seems like a reasonable price if the performance is there. Which bulb did you choose?

I bought from Retroshop. $150/pair. I got the 4500K 35w. I like useable light and didn't want blue tint at all.
http://shop.retroshop.us/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=4G.13.HIDs
That link is for 2013-14 kits. I did not have to get the additional harness and have zero flicker nor warning messages on my 2014.

Here is a review I did.
https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...jector-hid-upgrade-install-and-review.190643/

I highly recommend Retroshop. I had a connector gasket leak and it shorted a ballast. I sent an email to them asking how to buy another and he dropped one in the mail to me no-charge after I sent pics. I had owned them for almost a year at that point.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
I just wish they offered them in a chrome housing, other wise I would have bought them.

But I did just wrap up my full D2S 4.0 retro fit with 50w ballasts and I’m super happy with the result.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

they had originally shown them off with chrome shrouds on the projectors, but ultimately decided to do everything piano black. I had also considered going with the HID's, but was tired of dealing with ballasts

Is there any other components required to make them co-exist happily with the canbus on the truck?

no, they hook right up just fine. vehicles that did not come with LED's from the factory need to run resistors for the turn signals, or go to the dealership and have your VIN changed and the LED indicators added and the CANBUS updated in the truck.

they are a pretty solid upgrade (the HIR2s). I think they're somewhere near 2000lm, but again, the downside is their short life - they burn quite hot and they are still yellow in color. both the low and the high beams on the projector housings use the same bulb. I will say the HIR2 high beam out performs these Morimoto housings' high beam slightly.

the Profile LED's while actually brighter than the stock bulbs and HIR2's, perform poorly in the stock projectors. From what I can make out from people who have done the science and actually tested the lux output of the projector housings, the LED's suffer because of the internal shroud on the projectors not working well with the LED beam pattern. The profiles orientation can be adjusted inside the housing with their adjustable base, but you can't beat the housing apparently. that said, when the shutter is opened up they are miles better than stock or the HIR2. you could in theory, rig the projector's shutter to be open all the time and get the full benefit of the 3000lm Profile peak's and no one would be the wiser.

I would rank performance for low beam worst to best as Profile Peak LED, stock 9005, HIR2, Morimoto housing. high beam would be stock 9005, and a toss up between the morimoto housing, the profile peak and the HIR2's. they're all quite good when they're not being held back.

here is another shot of the cut offs of the morimotos after I aimed them, against my garage door:

also, dropped the truck off today at Moab Offroad here in town for the re-gear. Very excited for my 5.13's

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
@marshal, do you have a link to the HIR2 bulbs you swapped the highs to? Now that I'm running the yellow wide cornering BD Squadron Sports and the Spot BD Squadrom Pros that's my only weak link in the lighting.

BTW, that combo of BD lights for the fog pockets works excellently.

Explorerinil

Observer
Nice headlights, I take it they are finally shipping out after the long wait? Did you have to wire in the DRL? I thought they were plug in play, why do you need a resistor for turn signals on non led equipped trucks if they are truly plug in play.

I like the allot... but not enough to spend that kind of cash on them.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
@marshal, do you have a link to the HIR2 bulbs you swapped the highs to? Now that I'm running the yellow wide cornering BD Squadron Sports and the Spot BD Squadrom Pros that's my only weak link in the lighting.

BTW, that combo of BD lights for the fog pockets works excellently.

here you go!

Nice headlights, I take it they are finally shipping out after the long wait? Did you have to wire in the DRL? I thought they were plug in play, why do you need a resistor for turn signals on non led equipped trucks if they are truly plug in play.

I like the allot... but not enough to spend that kind of cash on them.

the DRL needs to be tapped to the high beam circuit on non-projector equipped trucks, or go to the dealer and have your VIN updated to change the setting for the headlights over to Projectors.

The issue stems from that the CANBUS not understanding that there are LED's connected and will fast flash. You can either run a inline resistor to the signal, or you can go to the dealer and have the CANBUS updated. So they're plug in play for people who already have LED indicators.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles