Vanilla Gorilla: 2017 Power Wagon build

Great looking truck you got there! I’ll have to keep an eye out for you when you pass through Bozeman. I’m sure it won’t be hard to spot you since your truck is pretty unique!

Dalko43

Explorer
Truck is looking great! How have you liked it so far? Any major (or minor) reliability issues?

Also, where do you plan on mounting the compressor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
Truck is looking great! How have you liked it so far? Any major (or minor) reliability issues?

Also, where do you plan on mounting the compressor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no reliability issues. it only has 27k on it, but otherwise its been great. I have a rattle in the drivers door, sounds like something has come loose and is sitting at the bottom of the door. I need to pull the card off and see what it is. i suspect it has something to do with me getting my windows tinted. otherwise everything is great.

Im going to be mounting the compressors inside one of my Leitner boxes. I need to remotely relocate the air filters, and then everything will be kosher. weekend project

Rubicon85

Observer
Truck is looking awesome..pretty much all the same mods I'd like to do to mine. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the compressor setup!

paroxysym

Adventurer
great build so far Marshal.. ive followed your Jeep build and I loved the T4R build- but this one, I'm really digging.

Oilbrnr

The truck looks great. Do you have any plans to add the AEV raised air intake?

Cheers
A Dorkel? :)

Unless he plans on being in dust a lot, there isn't much point. It is the only reason I put one on mine. It is kind of an expensive upgrade. Unlike on 80 series Land Cruisers, it is a tough install, not intended really for fording water, and while it does lower IAT, it has no noticeable effect on MPGs that I could tell. On a 80 you pick up about 1.

That said, I did get the optional sy-clone prefilter, and after a long trip on the Mojave Rd. and the AZ Strip with buddies a month ago, many times I was picking up the rear, I pulled the filter and it looked good. Plus, the old LC joke is, "chicks dig them."

Last edited:

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
we have updates!

so, here is how i have the compressor set up, as i did it

mounted:

IMG_5214 by Will Marshal, on Flickr

things were added

IMG_5217 by Will Marshal, on Flickr

wires were made

IMG_5228 by Will Marshal, on Flickr

andersen connectors were used

IMG_5230 by Will Marshal, on Flickr

wrapping this up

IMG_5261 by Will Marshal, on Flickr

mounted and ready to rock

IMG_5282 by Will Marshal, on Flickr

IMG_5285 by Will Marshal, on Flickr

then, in preparation for leaving - my daughter and i changed the oil. let me tell you guys - this truck is the WORST for changing oil because of the sway disconnect motor. there is hardly any room to get the filter off

IMG_5285 by Will Marshal, on Flickr

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
we set off on a friday afternoon. i was pretty excited to do this trip because i usually only get one opportunity a year to take a vacation, further - my dad never did vacations with us much when i was a kid because he was always traveling. So this was an opportunity for us to take a trip together and i thought it would be fun.

we left Louisville KY and highballed it to Peoria IL and holed up for the night. My dad is the kind of road tripper that pounds water and coffee so he needs to stop every two hours, and insists that we refill that quarter of a tank we just burned. So every 2 hours, we have to stop for 30 minutes - the greatest pain in my ass.

the next day we made a line for Sioux City and ended up pushing to Mitchell SD. pretty uneventful trip across the plains

IMG_5311 by Will Marshal, on Flickr

another 9 gallon fill up

IMG_5315 by Will Marshal, on Flickr

i love this truck

IMG_5320 by Will Marshal, on Flickr

the next day we left Mitchell and the weather started changing as we slowly, slowly gained elevation. the temperature dropped into the low 60's and overcast came in. going headfirst into a 20mph headwind, i had to notch back the speed to 70MPH to retain some semblance of fuel economy

IMG_5325 by Will Marshal, on Flickr

eventually we found our way to the Badlands, which was stellar

IMG_5349 by Will Marshal, on Flickr

IMG_5372 by Will Marshal, on Flickr

id like to point out that by the end of this trip i've rolled a total of 17,000 miles on these Falken Wildpeak MT's UNBALANCED, and they're great. they were perfect for this trip and have worn really really well

IMG_5377 by Will Marshal, on Flickr

IMG_5404 by Will Marshal, on Flickr

IMG_5394 by Will Marshal, on Flickr

IMG_5392 by Will Marshal, on Flickr

IMG_5390 by Will Marshal, on Flickr

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94