Vanilla Gorilla: 2017 Power Wagon build

Littlehouse

Adventurer
Marshall, what's the advantage of a rack vs. a reinforced shell? They seem popular in this community, but it seems like there is more versatility with a shell.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
Marshall, what's the advantage of a rack vs. a reinforced shell? They seem popular in this community, but it seems like there is more versatility with a shell.

shells are really prone to cracking in high stress environments, and they're not particularly useful for storing things for easy access like maxtrax, fuel canisters and other accessories. As well, this Leitner rack allows the top rails to be slid all the way forward so that you can still put in a dirt bike or a 4wheeler and not loose any of your accessory space.

the reinforced and aluminum shells are also a lot more expensive generally as well. The Leitner rack weighs in at 120lbs

Trikebubble

Adventurer
Congrats, and great looking truck. I too, went from a mid-size suv (Xterra) to a full size truck (Tundra) this past summer. I had been looking around quite a bit and had my choices down to two specific trucks, one was a Power Wagon and the other a Tundra. In my case, the particular Tundra just happened to be in better condition and a better value than the Power Wagon. (I sure liked the idea of those dual lockers.......that will have to be on my wish list for the Tundra).
I'm really liking having a full size rig, so far I'm finding the benefits of the added power and interior roominess far outweighing the increase in physical size. I've gone kind of gonzo replacing all the suspension on the truck so far, and added larger wheels are tires too. Have a Four Wheel Camper on order to round out the package.
I was unsure at first if I was going to think I made the wrong decision going up to a full size rig, but it's looking like it was a great idea. Did I mention the increase in power yet?

RoyJ

Adventurer
Now, the High and Low beams on the projector equipped RAM's use 9005 bulbs for both the high and low beams. While this is already a good 65 watt setup, we can do better.

I was scratching my head at this because I SWEAR my 2014 1500 came stock with HIR in the projectors. A bit of research:

http://www.lightbulbs4cars.com/ram%20bulb%20guide

Seems like RAM cheaped out after 2015 and put 9005s into the projectors. To save what, $10 per truck?

I'll keep the 9012s in my lows, and one day upgrade the highs to 9011s.

Bushmaster5K

There is a flash code for LED tail lights that the dealer can do. It's an option for cab chassis orders. An authorized dealer has to add sales code LB6 to your "Vehicle Option Updates". Of course the shop rate per hour will apply. I forget where this was downloaded from but the document instructions are dddpextlitmod.pdf Good luck with your local service department. Safe travels

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
Makes sense. Throwing on a RTT?

yeah!

There is a flash code for LED tail lights that the dealer can do. It's an option for cab chassis orders. An authorized dealer has to add sales code LB6 to your "Vehicle Option Updates". Of course the shop rate per hour will apply. I forget where this was downloaded from but the document instructions are dddpextlitmod.pdf Good luck with your local service department. Safe travels

thanks! i'll have to try that out. i have a good friend at the jeep dealership with a star scanner

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Congrats, and great looking truck. I too, went from a mid-size suv (Xterra) to a full size truck (Tundra) this past summer. I had been looking around quite a bit and had my choices down to two specific trucks, one was a Power Wagon and the other a Tundra. In my case, the particular Tundra just happened to be in better condition and a better value than the Power Wagon. (I sure liked the idea of those dual lockers.......that will have to be on my wish list for the Tundra).
I'm really liking having a full size rig, so far I'm finding the benefits of the added power and interior roominess far outweighing the increase in physical size. I've gone kind of gonzo replacing all the suspension on the truck so far, and added larger wheels are tires too. Have a Four Wheel Camper on order to round out the package.
I was unsure at first if I was going to think I made the wrong decision going up to a full size rig, but it's looking like it was a great idea. Did I mention the increase in power yet?

There are a lot of "haters" if you will when it comes to the full-size crowd it appears. I get it, most of your overlanding vehicles are what we consider mid-size vehicles, they fit down trails better and tend to be a lot lighter. Their drawbacks in comparison are lower payload's and GVRW's, small fuel tanks and fuel range, and less powerful motors, as well as less room. For the type of wheeling and/or overloading I do, a full size truck is not at a disadvantage. If I want to go play in the rocks or on tight, technical trails, well I have a Polaris RZR Turbo for that. I appreciate the size and the power a full-size HD truck affords you and short of adding a third vehicle, I can't see myself going back down in size anytime soon.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
My whole thing was my 4runner was not cutting it. It was low on power, it was loud, got awful fuel milage and lacked technologically in some major areas.

I see a lot of people building up Tacoma’s and every time I see one all I can say to myself is that it has a C channel frame, and drum brakes. You can put 4 fat *** American guys in the cab of the truck and be right at the GVWR. in fact, my 4runner had a higher GVWR and tow rating than a Tacoma.

Now, I’m not going to tow. Having a hitch is nice for the one or two times a yea I need to borrow my dads utility trailer to move something. But that’s it. I’m not going to own a boat, and I’m not going to get a camper or an off-roading trailer. And to be totally honest, the bed will never be used to it’s full potential or capacity either.

I saw the Power Wagon as the perfect platform for what I wanted to do. The stock suspension spanks my 4runner Offroad and it’s not really that much bigger than a crew cab Tacoma. I mean it is physically bigger significantly when you look at it, but on paper it’s not.

TFL trucks took both a stock power wagon and a stock TRD PRO Tacoma to Moab and did all the trails with them and literally the only things the PW was bested by the TRD pro taco was Fuel milage and visibility. The PW kicked it’s *** in everything else. The same test the did with the raptor too and unless it was high speed desert running or drag racing, it beat the raptor too

All that said I’d rather have a raptor but the PW fits the bill a little neater.

Now, if you compete a built PW to a built Tacoma, the same results are going to come through, and the PW isn’t going to be over it’s GVWR, and if it is it’s entirely based on spring selection, not the ability of the truck (GVWR on the PW is lower than a normal RAM 2500 because of the softer rear coils) AND it’s going to get similar fuel milage if not worse.

JonBurtt, who is an *******, but owns a really sweet Tacoma - has told me before he nets 11mpg out of his Tacoma. Weight doesn’t effect my milage

Dalko43

Explorer
My whole thing was my 4runner was not cutting it. It was low on power, it was loud, got awful fuel milage and lacked technologically in some major areas.

I see a lot of people building up Tacoma's and every time I see one all I can say to myself is that it has a C channel frame, and drum brakes. You can put 4 fat *** American guys in the cab of the truck and be right at the GVWR. in fact, my 4runner had a higher GVWR and tow rating than a Tacoma.

Now, I'm not going to tow. Having a hitch is nice for the one or two times a yea I need to borrow my dads utility trailer to move something. But that's it. I'm not going to own a boat, and I'm not going to get a camper or an off-roading trailer. And to be totally honest, the bed will never be used to it's full potential or capacity either.

I saw the Power Wagon as the perfect platform for what I wanted to do. The stock suspension spanks my 4runner Offroad and it's not really that much bigger than a crew cab Tacoma. I mean it is physically bigger significantly when you look at it, but on paper it's not.

TFL trucks took both a stock power wagon and a stock TRD PRO Tacoma to Moab and did all the trails with them and literally the only things the PW was bested by the TRD pro taco was Fuel milage and visibility. The PW kicked it's *** in everything else. The same test the did with the raptor too and unless it was high speed desert running or drag racing, it beat the raptor too

All that said I'd rather have a raptor but the PW fits the bill a little neater.

Now, if you compete a built PW to a built Tacoma, the same results are going to come through, and the PW isn't going to be over it's GVWR, and if it is it's entirely based on spring selection, not the ability of the truck (GVWR on the PW is lower than a normal RAM 2500 because of the softer rear coils) AND it's going to get similar fuel milage if not worse.

JonBurtt, who is an *******, but owns a really sweet Tacoma - has told me before he nets 11mpg out of his Tacoma. Weight doesn't effect my milage

Lol. I see this comment and it is nearly word-for-word the same reason why I am looking to get out of my current 4runner. Very reliable vehicle, with good offroad capabilities. MPG is just plain abysmal; I'm fairly certain the newer full-sized pickup's are getting as good mpg's or better. Engine performance is not all that great, especially when heavy. And I sorely need a pickup bed to carry dogs, hunting gear and game meat.

I'm looking at the newer Ram 2500's as well as some of the newer midized pickup's (Colorado, upcoming Ranger).

BTW, for OP, Marshall or anyone else, has anyone here had an issue with water leaking through the roof the Ram 2500 (through the seal of the radio/gps antenna)? I saw a post on another forum about this being a common issue.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Lol. I see this comment and it is nearly word-for-word the same reason why I am looking to get out of my current 4runner. Very reliable vehicle, with good offroad capabilities. MPG is just plain abysmal; I'm fairly certain the newer full-sized pickup's are getting as good mpg's or better. Engine performance is not all that great, especially when heavy. And I sorely need a pickup bed to carry dogs, hunting gear and game meat.

I'm looking at the newer Ram 2500's as well as some of the newer midized pickup's (Colorado, upcoming Ranger).

BTW, for OP, Marshall or anyone else, has anyone here had an issue with water leaking through the roof the Ram 2500 (through the seal of the radio/gps antenna)? I saw a post on another forum about this being a common issue.

I have a 2017 F-250 4wd diesel and it gets 18-20mpg on the highway, we had a 2015 and 2016 4Runner, I know those numbers flat out destroy the 4Runner and all while getting more room, power, size, etc. There's one thing Toyota is not and that's efficient or powerful lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles