Surly Big Dummy

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
I really think a Surly Big Dummy will be my next bike. Finding one used is proving to be relatively difficult though, which drives the awesome opportunity to BUILD one. I'm probably kidding myself on the actual knowledge it will take to put one together, however the idea of being able to tweak all the little pieces to make a super cool kid hauling, grocery getting beer carrying adventure bike has captivated my imagination.

Build details I'm considering:

FAT BIKE wheels! (not practical or very road worthy, but they are COOL for sure)

DYNAMO hub (don't know why, but powering things with my wheel seems like an awesome idea)

Jones Loop Bar (has anybody ridden these? They look awesome)

Xtra cycle makes for ENDLESS possibilities of customization...

http://surlybikes.com/bikes/big_dummy

Now I'm going to start adding up the cost of all this stuff, I'm sure the cost will be significantly more than just purchasing one already built....

Who has one? Post up pics!!!!

Butch

Flagster

Expedition Leader
They are great bikes...I always wanted one when I lived in Seattle which was a bit more bike friendly than where I live now.

edit I should say bike commuter friendly...the big dummy would be great for shopping/home depot runs

I just dug out an old steel shogun prairie breaker frame that I picked up a few years ago. I was thinking of stretching the bike with the xtra cycle...thing is the frame is already a long wheelbase...would be like a limo

Attachments

• IMG_20131214_173213_102.jpg
    IMG_20131214_173213_102.jpg
    427 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
Anybody have experience transporting a big dummy on a bike rack? The major reason our tandem doesn't get ridden much is because of the difficulty of transporting it.

p nut

butter
I have one. Definitely cool. I use it to haul kids and groceries and just regular cruising around. I built it up myself and it's really not any more difficult than building up a regular hardtail. Just use 2 chains and tandem length housing/cables. I set mine up with a jones loop bar and I love it. Something like a Surly Open Bar or Albatross would do fine as well. I eventually want to set mine up with Dirt Wizards (2.75") for some off roading fun.

In my opinion, the BD makes a super nice overlanding rig.

If you're up for building one up, I would buy from bicycleoutfittersindy and use the coupon code "holiday25" for 25% off. Good through Jan 3, I believe.

Edit: For transport, I have heard of people sitting the seat tube on the rack bars and strapping it upright. Since you have a Sprinter, you could utilize a roof rack.

Last edited:

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
Great info. Problem with transporting on top of van is the height.... It would be almost 11ft tall, plus I would have to add a rack.

Would really like to be able to haul on a hitch rack if possible.

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
Looks like MSRP for 2014 is going to be $2400; any chance i can build one for close to the same price?

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I think it would be tough...How many spare parts you got laying around...I personally like building up my bikes from frames...not only do you put on exactly what you want but often it is cheaper if you like shopping around for parts...
Although the last two bikes I bought were specd from the bike shop...I have slowly been liquidating my parts surplus with the help of ebay so I am running thin on parts to build with...

p nut

butter
Looks like MSRP for 2014 is going to be $2400; any chance i can build one for close to the same price?

Here's my tally (est):

Frame + Xtracycle kit (I don't think available anymore): $1k ($1,250 originally, but used the deal above)
Wheels-36h Deore hubs with Sun rims: $130 on ebay (new)
Shifter/Derailleur kit (XT): $100 (used)
Brakes: BB7 $100 (already had)
Levers: XTR $50 (used)
SLX cranks/bb: $100 (used)
Chains: Sram 950 ($20 each)
Cassette: Deore 11-36 $30 (new)
Tires: Town & Country $15 each (New @ Perf Bike)
Handlebar: Jones Loop $120 (New)
Grips: ESI Chunky ($20 already had)
Seat post: Kalloy ($10 new)
Saddle: WTB Speed V ($40 new)
Headset: Cane Creek S3 ($30 new)

So about $1,800 for me.

I enjoy building. Even if the cost ends up being the same, I would rather build.

Edit: Another thing to consider. For 2014, Surly started to manufacture their own cargo kit. Only bad thing is, if you want to mount child carriers, Surly specifically says their decks are not meant for human transport. This is why I went with Xtracycle. Plus their new Flight Decks don't even need adapters to mount the Yepp seats.

Last edited:

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
P nut

Thanks for the time spent tallying that up.

Rolled down to Carytown Bicycles and ordered a built Surly Big Dummy. They offered me a good deal, so i took the bike already built. There are a bunch of little things I want to tweak, but I was happy with the build layout overall.

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
Bike is home and the mods begin! This is definitely a bike you could change a bunch of things on depending on objectives.

First question... Has anybody attached a Yepp kid seat to the back of a Big Dummy with the "newer" rear deck? What kind of adapter is needed or is the seat enough?

See picture of the build I have.

BK3246-06.jpg

p nut

butter
I don't believe the Surly decks are compatible with Yepp seat adapters. You may have to either buy a new Xtracycle deck or if you're handy, fab it yourself. New Xtracycle decks don't need adapters and also keep the seat (COG) lower.

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
Big dummy updates

Some pics of the Dummy updates

Jones Loop bars
Brooks saddle
Yepp seat for the little one

Bike is awesome!

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg