Surge Brakes

Brianj5600

It has been a while since I pulled a trailer with surge brakes, but I did like the way they worked. The only thing I did not like was the need to pin the tongue to back it up. Now they are equipped with solenoids that disable trailer brakes in reverse. There does not seem to be a lot of love for surge brakes on the web. I am seriously considering surge disc brakes for an upcoming trailer build. Are there problems with surge brakes on trails?

RonL

Adventurer
I have used a TO-Extreme "High Country" with disc surge brakes with the solenoid valve, they worked great. Electric are not the best when you are trying to do "Stair Steeps" and ride the brakes down the "steeps"....Don't listen to the "WEB" if they hadn't used them, they shouldn't comment!

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
There's a reason high end boat trailers move from surge to electric over hydraulic. Electric actuation is superior in every way. I will never go back to surge brakes on anything. Clunky, jerky, zero independent control for sway situations or off road. On the dirt, I want to be able to turn my trailer brakes on and off from the truck when I want to. There is zero control with a surge setup.

Brianj5600

Bean counters likely had a hand in moving away from hydraulic disc surge brakes. Electric brakes probably cost at minimum $500 less than surge brakes. I doubt that savings was passed on to the consumer.

I have pulled trailers of every type and never had a sway problem with a properly loaded trailer. I hate the way electric brakes controllers need to be adjusted especially in parking lots or stop and go traffic. My experience with surge brakes are far different than Bayou Boy's. I don't really see a reason for "control" with surge brakes. They don't over brake or under brake. They self modulate.

john61ct

Adventurer
I hate the way electric brakes controllers need to be adjusted especially in parking lots or stop and go traffic.
Link to details on that?

And in most such cases isn't it easier to just switch the brakes off?

I have read and heard many complaints about surge brakes in off-road use cases.

RonL

Adventurer
For me, when offroading and doing "stair steps" surge brakes work well....As I am trying to slowly ride the brakes down/over the steps the "trailer brakes" don't fight me as much as "electric brakes"...

john61ct

Adventurer
But going that slowly, assuming a heavy / powerful enough TV, are brakes even needed?

I really like the idea of being able to just turn them off.

Brianj5600

I'm curious why you would want to turn the brakes off? Having a lifted Jeep TJ with such short wheelbase I would feel better with trailer brakes. I plan to take an extended vacation out west and plenty of time in the mountains. Driving on flat paved roads I doubt I would bother. I don't want to have the trailer pushing me down a steep gravel road with a big drop off.

Video demo about trailer weight distribution and trailer sway mentioned earlier.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I hate the way electric brakes controllers need to be adjusted especially in parking lots or stop and go traffic. .

Why are you having to adjust your brakes for slow speed use? I set mine once for each trailer and never touch them again. That comment just doesn't make sense. You use less pedal pressure at slow speed so the trailer brakes get less voltage from the controller. They self adjust to the pressure you put on the pedal.

I think you may be projecting some experience with a crappy brake controller used years ago onto all electronic braking systems. Current brake controllers are seamless in their operation and require zero adjustment after the initial setup.

Brianj5600

You are right about never experienced the newer proportional brake controllers. I bought a Suburban to pull a trailer and it already had a controller. I never researched like I would have if I needed to add one. I wish I have had that experience. I like the idea of having disc brakes available, there is are reasons the automotive industry moved away from drums. I also like that when using lower gears to control speed, surge brakes will help control speed. I don't think the proportional brake controllers do that unless you put your foot on the brake pedal? Maybe not if you are not slowing down?

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
You can always reach down and use the lever if you need to brake the trailer independently. Also you're definitely right about disks over drums. My Ameratrail boat trailer has Kodiak stainless disks with a Titan electric over hydraulic system and it is absolutely excellent in operation. Small drums on very light axles are almost worthless. There's just not enough shoe there to slow much down.

If you have the coin, I highly suggest the electric over hydraulic system as it is far superior to any other trailer brake setup available. Once you use one, it's really hard to adjust back to anything else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz