Surface mounting cable tie bases to RTT

fire_strom

Adventurer
I am going to install a 100 watt panel onto an Alu Cab RTT. The panel is easy to mount on the provided tracks but I want to run the cables to the front and then under the RTT so the cables aren't in the way when the tent hinges open. I need to surface mount some type of cable tie base to the aluminum tent to mange the cables. There are tons of offerings but I don't trust the foam tape that they come with. Has anyone done this sort of thing and have any usable experience to share, good or bad? Yes I could drill holes and mechanically attach cable holders but I'd prefer not to put holes in the tent if I can avoid it.
Thanks,
-G

fire_strom

Adventurer
Here is the best contender but they use PE foam tape. I'd be more optimistic if they used 3M VHB tape.

Many other options on amazon with unknown tape. There are two options offered specifically for bicycles one of which I've used with great results but they don't accept cable ties.

These are currently leading I think. The only way they could cost more though is if they were marketed for overloading.
Ideas?

Last edited:

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I have bought the outdoor rated ones, and just replaced the tape with 3M VHB. A little heat, and the original foam usually peels right up. Another option is to use sikaflex/urethane, and just bond them down. Remove the foam, for buy without adhesive.

fire_strom

Adventurer
Thanks all. I was having a hard time finding bases w/o adhesive. That wire care link has some that look like what I was after. I think I'll give them a try with some 1" 3M VHB tape.
-G

J!m

What if you run the cable(s) inside some split loom (or just hose) and glue that over the length?

My experience with the T&B sticky pads is they don’t hold up outdoors. Add vibration and abrasions from branches etc. and they don’t last. Sikka should work but having the entire length attached vs. a few points seems as if it would be more secure.

Yes, some variety of latch duct, Panduit LD6 or a Wiremold variant. Either with no adhesive or remove what came on it and replace with VHB. Have done this on my camper and very secure after a few years. Plas you can open the latch duct to add or replace cables

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Alloy

I'll take the saddle type cable tie mounts and bolt it to 2"x 2" pcs of aluminum with a countersink bolt then use VHB tape or 3M 5200 fast dry to hold the aluminum to the surface.

fire_strom

Adventurer
I ordered the ones linked above from wire care. They have a black UV resistant version. Thanks again for the tip. Great vender great product.
I used two sided Gorilla foam tape.
We’ll see how it holds up. About 1 month in.

shade

I ordered the ones linked above from wire care. They have a black UV resistant version. Thanks again for the tip. Great vender great product.
I used two sided Gorilla foam tape.
We’ll see how it holds up. About 1 month in.
Please post a photo when you have time. I've been thinking about a similar project with a GFC camper.

It sounds like you could anchor to the sides of the RTT once the wire makes it that far. If the adhesive mounts fail, maybe a short run of Liquidtight Flexible Non-metallic Conduit (LFNC) between the panel and RTT side would do the job. It's more than rugged enough, and could be run farther along the perimeter of the RTT, too.

jkam

nomadic man
I used those on my RV to secure wiring coming from the roof.
Mine are mounted on an aluminum window frame. After having some problems with the foam tape
I decided to hot glue them to the frame. Been a few years now and they are still in place. Have had to replace
the zip ties holding the wires a few times, but the holders are still good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles