Sure-Fire Ways to Improve Your Roof Top Tent

shoredreamer

Observer
Just read thru all 56 pages figuring I would have seen something for leveling accuracy. We have used these levels on two sides of our Tepui Autana and it's easily the simplest thing to do to set the truck level and sleep flat every time.image.jpg

Also, Thermarest Ridgerest Solite sleeping pads http://www.cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/trek-and-travel/ridge-rest-solite/product work really good under the mattress to give you added warmth, anti-condensation, and extra padding for comfy nights, all in a .6" thick, 2# package.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
bubble levels

I use two of the $1.99 magnetic 6" levels from Harbor Freight. One is positioned so that I can see it in my rear view mirror.

image_17213.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-level-with-magnetic-strip-37588.html

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Does anyone use a double sleeping bag in their tent? I have a Tepui Autana and am thinking about ordering this Teton sports mammoth queen size bag from amazon. Looks pretty comfy but bulky. I would want to store it in the tent. Any thought? Do you think it would be too big to leave folded up inside the tent?

I have a Mountain Hardwear double synthetic bag that I found NIB on Craigslist. I think it was the Mega-Lamina model. In warm weather it is used like a blanket and in cold weather it is zipped up and nice for two people. I have a large synthetic comforter to add to it in winter plus a Mr. Heater Buddy heater to warm up the air in the RTT.

Does anyone use a double sleeping bag in their tent? I have a Tepui Autana and am thinking about ordering this Teton sports mammoth queen size bag from amazon. Looks pretty comfy but bulky. I would want to store it in the tent. Any thought? Do you think it would be too big to leave folded up inside the tent?

That's what I'm using in mine (CVT Mt. Shasta) makes it a little harder to close fully, but it's doable.

hyperboarder

Adventurer
I'm hoping the Teton bag fits in my Mt. Bailey. Such a comfy sleeping bag, but it's a hoss, pretty sure it weighs more than my 4 year old.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Earlier I mentioned I added a small modification to the tent to help with very windy weather and finally took the pictures of the install. I've noticed that high winds can push up the tent's folding section where the ladder attaches. At each of two corners of the platform I've bolted in folding D-Rings for attaching lines to ground stakes or other anchors such as 5 gallon buckets full of rocks.

IMG_3471-1.jpg

IMG_3474-1.jpg

WillBeck

Adventurer
Earlier I mentioned I added a small modification to the tent to help with very windy weather and finally took the pictures of the install. I've noticed that high winds can push up the tent's folding section where the ladder attaches. At each of two corners of the platform I've bolted in folding D-Rings for attaching lines to ground stakes or other anchors such as 5 gallon buckets full of rocks.

IMG_3471-1.jpg

IMG_3474-1.jpg
The ruggedized Tepui's actually come with these. Two on each corner.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
The ruggedized Tepui's actually come with these. Two on each corner.

I've not seen a Tepui in person. I wonder when they started building them? My Camping Labs tent was installed on my trailer in late 2009. I bought the trailer in August of 2010 and in September took it up at almost 9,000 feet in the Inyos:

DV+Oct+07+036-1.jpg

We camped behind the tram structure and at night there were winds that kept lifting up the folding portion of the tent. When I got home that week I installed the anchors.

In my opinion all of the RTTs should have the anchors installed because every year there is at least one trip with high winds like this spot on the White Rim Trail where I filled a 5 gallon bucket with rocks and tied it to the anchor. You can see the tent bowing under the gusts of wind.

NKN_6844-1.JPG

Above Lake Powell in 2012 the anchor was a nice spot to hang the Coleman lantern :sombrero:

IMG_5549-1.JPG

cozmo2312

Observer
I've not seen a Tepui in person. I wonder when they started building them? My Camping Labs tent was installed on my trailer in late 2009. I bought the trailer in August of 2010 and in September took it up at almost 9,000 feet in the Inyos:

DV+Oct+07+036-1.jpg

We camped behind the tram structure and at night there were winds that kept lifting up the folding portion of the tent. When I got home that week I installed the anchors.

In my opinion all of the RTTs should have the anchors installed because every year there is at least one trip with high winds like this spot on the White Rim Trail where I filled a 5 gallon bucket with rocks and tied it to the anchor. You can see the tent bowing under the gusts of wind.

NKN_6844-1.JPG

Above Lake Powell in 2012 the anchor was a nice spot to hang the Coleman lantern :sombrero:

IMG_5549-1.JPG

great pics!

dcg141

Adventurer
I picked one of these up about 3 years back. Saved my *** on a camping trip with a pregnant wife. Such a good investment. Shopping for an RTT now, we'll be using it in there too so I'm hoping it'll fit when folded up.

You know for an mid priced bag it has alot of loft. The material they use for the liner is really comfortable. My wife and I share it without any problems. I would have to say its one of my better camping buys ever.

desert_forester

Great add on and a necessity if your tent does not already have them. First time I took my Tepui Ayer out into the desert the wind pickup up the afternoon and the tent started porpoising. With a short rope I quickly tied the tent down to the rear wheel on the Subaru and now I automatically do it each time I set up.

wvracer821

Observer
I picked up the air mattress linked below to stick in my tent after a few uncomfortable nights and one grumpy girlfriend at the end of the last camping trip lol. The measurements on it are perfect for my Tepui. Its good quality and its light years ahead of the last Walmart brand air mattress that i had. hopefully this will be much more comfortable for both of us. I figures I would share it here since I have had a hard time finding a mattress to fit the floor of the tent.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CWZE642/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior