Supplement Question: Aerobic and Anaerobic

93BLAZER

Explorer
Im still sold on muscletech. Im a big fan of Creatine ethyl ester. Just my .02.....

If I find myself in the gym again... I certainly give this white flood stuff a try.

I love opening an issue of Muscle and Fitness and seeing 80 percent of the mag devoted to advertisements of supplements. It boils down to what works for you I guess.

Again, I saw POSITIVE results on the supplements I took that I listed in my previous post.

Good luck in the gym!

When I was hitting the gym, I was all about putting on muscle mass.... legally... meaning no assistance from the anabolic crowd. So my focus was protein, creatine, protein, BCAA's and more protein.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
...I love opening an issue of Muscle and Fitness and seeing 80 percent of the mag devoted to advertisements of supplements. It boils down to what works for you I guess...
...When I was hitting the gym, I was all about putting on muscle mass.... legally... meaning no assistance from the anabolic crowd. So my focus was protein, creatine, protein, BCAA's and more protein.
I'll confess now; I'm a former supplement pimp. My picture was in over 65,000,000 copies of various sports-oriented magazines; it was also included in the kits that were sold.

In all honesty, while I was affiliated with them and got free product, I used it. The pro athletes I've trained with used free product. But most of them just ate right and took a multi-vitamin, got good rest, and juiced themselves silly.

It cost us $8 to put the $140 kit together; that's me under Joe Piscapo. No laughing please.
BillCybergenics.jpg

Scott Brady

Founder
I went all out with Cybergenics when I was 17-18 and playing football. You think the supplements are doing a lot of the work, but it was really those 1.5-2 hour workouts that did the trick.

Thanks again for the info guys.

My workouts are going well, and Jeremy and I are over three weeks into a consistent schedule at the gym. Good stuff.

Scott Brady

Founder
Here is my current line-up.

Pre-workout:
White Flood, simple energy bar to settle stomach
Workout:
Water (lots). My current workouts, both in the gym and on the bike last about 1.5-2 hours.
Post-workout:
Whey Protein (44g)
Glutamine (5g) added to shake
Omega 3 complex
Creatine (5g)
Multi-vitamin complex

My current work-out is 3-4 days in the gym at 1-1.5 hours. 2-3 day on the bike for 1-1.5 hours. The bike time is going to increase along with the goal of including 1-2 swim sessions per week.

latinoguy

Adventurer
Wow, there are some pretty knowledgeable fitness people on this forum. I've been hitting the gym 4-5 times a week for about a year now. Last summer I took a 2 month break from the gym to fight my second cancer battle, but was back at the gym a month later, (while my doc was working on me) at sub 130 pounds, very low energy, very weak bones (osteoporosis weak) it was scary. I was catabolic. thank God I am good again, in remission. Second battle won.

Anyways I say that because I was 150 and about 18% body fat when I started working out in the fall of 08, and today I am 142 at 11-12% body fat. I want a six pack again. My goal is to get to 145 at 8-10% of body fat. I am currently in a bulking stage trying to gain 1 pound a month by eating healthy and based on my activity level my daily caloric intake is 2300-2600 calories. I am not doing carb cycling or anything like that. Just watch what I eat.

Supplements: I only take Whey protein, along with a mix of vitamins consisting of: a multi, C, D, fish oil, E, Calcium, and Potassium. (I believe because of my on going health I need more help lol.)

Some advice:
Know your BMR, and your TDEE. Good metrics for what you need in terms of daily calories and to help you determine what and how much you need to eat to get to your goal. That is why I try to hit my daily calories based on these numbers and my goal.

I try to eat 6 meals a day. I do heavier complex carbs morning, lunch and after a work out. I lighten up on carbs in the eve. The 3 whey protein shakes assist my daily grams of protein goal and it is a convenient way to feed the body protein at opportune times: Once before bedtime, I mix the protein with milk (to prevent the muscles from going catabolic) in the morning (to stop the catabolic stage because your muscles haven't had food for a few hours) and a 2 scoop protein shake mixed with milled oats right after my work out to help with protein synthesis.

It is working out for me and I look better than I have looked since my mid twenties, my energy is right, and I am healthy, which is most important. Now If I can only have more time and $ to do more of my activities.....:victory:

I am not a freak about my training, I just want to look good, have good energy and be fit for doing the activities I enjoy doing: surfing, hiking, mt biking, rock climbing.

I do have a profile at a forum which I visit to solicit nutrition advice from more experience people. It is a great resource.

http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/bohemianjsr/

(you may click on my progress pics)

Cardio is great, but It will never beat a good old weight lifting program for most calories burned, and metabolism boosting benefits (muscle is an energy furnace that once developed speeds up your metabolism through out the day. Not to say that it is not necessary. It is, but for me and my weight gaining goal, I only do moderate amounts of it consisting of 20-30 minutes a couple of times a week. Doing too much would halter my muscle building goal.

Last edited:

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Second battle won.

Congrats from the heart!

My dad is currently battling pancreatic cancer. Experimental drugs/chemo at Stanford. He is in the same study that Patrick Swayze was in. When Swayze died the world mourned the loss of an actor. It reminded me to count every moment.

latinoguy

Adventurer
Thank you. I hope your father comes out a winner. This disease like all other serious diseases, affects the extended family just as much as the person battling it. I know you are there for your father, that means more to him than you can imagine.

Congrats from the heart!

My dad is currently battling pancreatic cancer. Experimental drugs/chemo at Stanford. He is in the same study that Patrick Swayze was in. When Swayze died the world mourned the loss of an actor. It reminded me to count every moment.

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
I have a question, what is the supposed benefit of taking arginine products? I know they are marketed with all the typical muscle building hype of every other product ever created, but I haven't seen much in the way of real research studies to back up any of these claims, or to warrant the high prices of these products. Have you guys come across any papers?

I have tried a few samples of NO-Xplode and Superpump, and both did give me a small energy buzz but I attributed that to the huge doses of B-vitimins,taurine, and caffine. I get the same kinda kick from a coffee. Are they just really pricy energy drinks or is there something more to these things?

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
I have a question, what is the supposed benefit of taking arginine products? I know they are marketed with all the typical muscle building hype of every other product ever created, but I haven't seen much in the way of real research studies to back up any of these claims, or to warrant the high prices of these products. Have you guys come across any papers?

I have tried a few samples of NO-Xplode and Superpump, and both did give me a small energy buzz but I attributed that to the huge doses of B-vitimins,taurine, and caffine. I get the same kinda kick from a coffee. Are they just really pricy energy drinks or is there something more to these things?

Arginine promotes the production of NO in the body. An increase in NO will cause your blood's delivery system to expand. That expansion means faster delivery of more nutrients to your vital organs. So the effect of increased NO in the body ultimately means you will get a bigger pump in the gym and your muscles will get the nutrients they need at a faster pace. Another "side effect" of NO is that is gives you harder erections - think blood delivery.

The best NO product I have ever tried is by Gaspari Nutrition.

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Arginine promotes the production of NO in the body. An increase in NO will cause your blood's delivery system to expand. That expansion means faster delivery of more nutrients to your vital organs. So the effect of increased NO in the body ultimately means you will get a bigger pump in the gym and your muscles will get the nutrients they need at a faster pace. Another "side effect" of NO is that is gives you harder erections - think blood delivery.

The best NO product I have ever tried is by Gaspari Nutrition.
Thanks Steve, but I asked the wrong question though as I do understand the theory. What I should have simply asked is if there is any solid research to back the claims that injesting arginine leads to increased N.O? I just hate blowing money on products created using puesdo science that don't work as claimed, especially when they ain't cheap. The only research papers I have been able to find deal with the biological activity of nitric oxide. I can't seem to find much with regards to it's how effective arginine supplementation is at increasing N.O though.

I really like Gaspari's stuff as well, and as I mentioned above, have tried Superpump. Didn't get much off it though, just a mild energy bump. Myofusion is by far the best tasting protein I've tried however, and it is what I currently use. Double Chocolate and Chocolate PB are both awesome in water. It's like a milk shake.

Last edited:

Whitey

Adventurer
The fact of the matter is that when it comes to supplements you can find plenty of studies that support their claims and just as many to debunk them. Similar to the inquiry I had about soy earlier in the thread. There was some info that vaguely supported statements that were made and plenty of other "studies" that proved previous claims were unsubstantiated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles