Superwinch Husky - disected, mods, why use a slow worm winch?

98 SNAKE EATER

Adventurer
You suck...
J/K Good find. I'm jealous.

LOL

I've had like ten people say the same thing since yesterday :eek:

Did a little mock up earlier today....

huskyrearwinchinstall1.JPG

huskyrearwinchinstall2.JPG

huskyrearwinchinstall3.JPG

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/579938-rear-winch-install.html

Should have it installed before the cable arrives :cool:

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
You lucked out on the price of the winch. Why not invest in a high-quality synthetic line for it? It's lighter, easier to handle, and safer. Call Thor at Viking; he'll get you exactly what that winch needs.

The Rover Shop

Explorer
I picked up mine ( a husky 8) off Craigslist for $150... I expected it to need a complete rebuild so I pulled it down and all it needed was a new engage/disengage handle, I installed new synthetic cord on and got 125 ft to fit on just fine... We have good deals on synthetic lines on our eBay site under.... the-rover-shop ...or just post here what you want... Plasma cord or synthetic line has come down LOTS since it first came out... Superwinch assistance here in the states is pretty much impossible as the husky was made in tavistock england and superwinch usa knows JACK about it and their part diagrams is incorrect on part numbers... AND you have to go through one of their distributors who know even less.. Nonimouse on here has been a wealth of knowledge and help on this winch... That boy knows his winch stuff..

98 SNAKE EATER

Adventurer
You lucked out on the price of the winch. Why not invest in a high-quality synthetic line for it? It's lighter, easier to handle, and safer. Call Thor at Viking; he'll get you exactly what that winch needs.

As much as I'd like to, synthetic is just beyond my budget at this time :(

I would also have to buy a new fair lead if i went with synthetic :eek:

I've already ordered a steel cable, but before it gets here, I'd like to change the oil.

What is the recommended grade?

ini88

Adventurer
Sorry for bringing up an older thread. I have two husky 10s I want to rebuild. Can I get a BowMotor in the US? I've only seem them for sale in the UK

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
The slow speed is due mostly to the worm gear.. the efficiency is about 37%. It just comes with the design. This causes the high amp draw as the motor is working harder than it would be if working through a more efficient box design.
I saw this thread 3 years ago, but never really read it.
There must be something else going on with the Husky design. The Ramsey worm drives draw a good deal less. RE8000 (370A) and RE12000 (380A) at full load. My RE10000 at 335A is way less than my 8274 and Ramsey Platinum 9000. Also a lot less than the Warn M8000, 9.5XP & XD9000i.
But 335A more than my Koenig PTO :sombrero:

The "working harder" part intuitively makes no sense. Your engine doesn't work as hard pulling a load in 1st gear as it does pulling the same load in 4th gear.
Obviously I'm not understanding something, but, at least with the Ramsey worm drives, it seems to be working less hard.

steelman

i know this is an old thread but is there anyway to "reboot" there seems to be a lot of good information in this thread and i would like to see the pictures. they currently donot load i assume because of the age of the post.

i have a few of these Husky winches and would like to rebuild and or improve its no load line speed with the Bowmotor.

thank you.
jim

67cj5

Man On a Mission
i know this is an old thread but is there anyway to "reboot" there seems to be a lot of good information in this thread and i would like to see the pictures. they currently donot load i assume because of the age of the post.

i have a few of these Husky winches and would like to rebuild and or improve its no load line speed with the Bowmotor.

thank you.
jim
The Husky's are a great winch and better than anything else out there, There is a couple of reasons I say that and that is because All the Camel Trophy Land Rovers were fitted with them and they did everything they could to kill them but even Drowning did not stop them and the other reason is that Husky Winches have been fitted to Government Land Rovers for decades as well as many Tow Truck operators also use them,

No Cheap but no where near the cost of a Warn and David Bowyer really knows his stuff when it comes to Winch's.

steelman

thank you, but i allready agree with your opinion. anyway to get the pics to load on this thread?
or any info on getting a Bowmotor here in the states?

67cj5

Man On a Mission
thank you, but i allready agree with your opinion. anyway to get the pics to load on this thread?
or any info on getting a Bowmotor here in the states?
Well if you want one that bad try contacting these people in this link and if they won't send it to you then If you still want one then I could order it and send it to you if that helps (y)

steelman

Well if you want one that bad try contacting these people in this link and if they won't send it to you then If you still want one then I could order it and send it to you if that helps (y)

thank you for the offer.
so if i convert the 229 pounds to the dollar im looking at $290 before shipping. hmmm.
i would like to see the curve on the amps with a 6,000 rpm motor at say 8,000 lbs single line load. im sure it would be over 400 amps. that would melt everything.
so what would the 5,000 rpm motors pull at full load?
also what would the feet per min. no load speed be with each of the 4,000 5,000 and 6,000 rpm motors? im sure the curve would not be linear. as in if its a 40% change in "motor" rpm that would not be a 40% increase in the no load line speed with the same motor.
i like others, would just like an acceptable no load line speed from the Husky. no need to increase the pulling power the winch has plenty of that. just to slow. constantly over running my rope when "helping" the winch when traction is there.

thanks for any help.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
constantly over running my rope when "helping" the winch when traction is there.

That is my biggest complaint with the worm drive winches.

I don't think many people need to do 'speed recoveries' but the worm drive winches are almost dangerously slow. I have been in a situation more than once with them where if you are trying to help with the vehicle it can lurch forward and slack the winch line creating a more precarious position.

I love how durable the Husky is. I love the no-brake needed with the worm drive.

I am in the Warn 8274 camp as far as winch speed and force requirements. They seem to pull FAST when needed but also HARD when needed.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
thank you for the offer.
so if i convert the 229 pounds to the dollar im looking at $290 before shipping. hmmm.
i would like to see the curve on the amps with a 6,000 rpm motor at say 8,000 lbs single line load. im sure it would be over 400 amps. that would melt everything.
so what would the 5,000 rpm motors pull at full load?
also what would the feet per min. no load speed be with each of the 4,000 5,000 and 6,000 rpm motors? im sure the curve would not be linear. as in if its a 40% change in "motor" rpm that would not be a 40% increase in the no load line speed with the same motor.
i like others, would just like an acceptable no load line speed from the Husky. no need to increase the pulling power the winch has plenty of that. just to slow. constantly over running my rope when "helping" the winch when traction is there.

thanks for any help.
Well you might want to check out the Bowmotor I which might have a lesser draw or you could contact David direct and see what he says regarding the power draw Vs Speed etc,

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
The Husky's are a great winch and better than anything else out there, There is a couple of reasons I say that and that is because All the Camel Trophy Land Rovers were fitted with them and they did everything they could to kill them but even Drowning did not stop them and the other reason is that Husky Winches have been fitted to Government Land Rovers for decades as well as many Tow Truck operators also use them,

No Cheap but no where near the cost of a Warn and David Bowyer really knows his stuff when it comes to Winch's.
I think you'll find that the 8274 and the X9 is fitted to Camel as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94