Superwinch Husky - disected, mods, why use a slow worm winch?

bjowett

Adventurer
I thought some of you would like to see what the Superwinch Husky is all about. This is a cut and paste of a posting I wrote nearly 5 years ago on www.ih8mud.com. Not all of it holds true today, many advancements have been made on the planetary winches, water proofing and such.... Slow it may be, but if you have the patience for the speed, it has the endurance....

Well, here I go again blabbing about another project for the 80.... This time, as the subject reads, is the winch. I will start by saying this - Without ever having run this winch, the Superwinch Husky series is probably the MOST durable electric winch built, end of story, kick your Warn to the weeds (unless it is an 8274).

Don't let the plastic cover fool you, the internals are that nice. Everything is very beefy. Case hardened nickel alloy steel spur gears in the first box with the same material worm gear driving a 5.5" diameter phosphor bronze wheel (very strong/low friction) in the main box. The only gear that does not run on a ball or needle bearing is the second gear in the first box. The rest run on German INA ball and needle bearings. The first box is packed with grease. The main box runs in .6 of a quart 90/140 gear lube, which can be changed easily.

All cases are cast from aluminum, are heat treated, and waterproof. We are talking real seals, the rubber type with spring. All bolts are metric cap screws of 12.9 grade.

So if I think this winch is soooooooo good, why am I modding it? A little more speed, a little more pull, and to add a little more ease of maintaining it. The short answer, increase the speed of the motor 30 - 40%, increase the power (Bowmotor), throw in some grease fittings for the first box and poly drum bearings.

The Husky 8 was chosen over the 10 because it has a little more speed - the gear ratio is 229:1 vs. 294:1. Also, the drum will hold 150 of 5/16 or 125' of 3/8 cable vs. 90' of 3/8 on the 10. The drum has a diameter of 2.76 on the 8 vs 3" on the 10. Most 9k pound winches use a 2.5" drum, so I am not worried about strength. The drum and gear ratio are the only differences between the two, if I need more power I can swap in the 294 gears, or use a snatch block. Esimates will place this winch at roughly a 12k lb pull and no load line speed should be in 40 ft/min range.

How about some pictures?
P1010001_0.JPG

Check out the motor armatures. Left to right Husky, X9, Bowmotor
P1010003_0.JPG

Bearings...
P1010006_0.JPG

Mods...

Painted texture black. 3 grease fittings were installed. The first is one on the side cover for the left drum bearing, next is on top of the worm gearbox which feeds down to the right drum bearing. The last can not be seen in the picture, it supplies fresh Redline moly grease to the spur gear box, which sits behind the worm box and motor. The worm gearbox is filled with Redline Synthetic 75W140NS gear oil. A gear oil that is safe for alloys with copper in them is important, the Redline lube is.

P1010011_0.JPG

Motor was disassembled, painted with a rattle can high temp silver ceramic paint, then baked for an hour to harden the paint. I figure black motors soak up the sun and get hot before you even use em'.

P1010010_0.JPG

Winch mock up on front of 80... needs to move up about 4".

P1010009_0.JPG

bjowett

Adventurer
Below is the post about the mount and contactor.

Here are the beginings of my winch mount and front bumper. Minor trimming of the valance allows the winch to tuck in a tad closer.

P1010016_0.JPG

P1010017_0.JPG

New pictures.... need to wire it, maybe throw on a plastic line.

P1010022_0.JPG

P1010021_0.JPG

The two Curtis/Albright 125 amp contactors along with the 1/0 wires are mounted above the #2 battery. The cover, which needs a bit more waterproofing, is sitting on the airbox behind. The contactor is a great fully rebuildable piece, all parts are available in the unlikely event of a part failing.

P1010049_0.JPG

The winch does indeed pull in at a very smooth no load line speed of roughly 45 ft/min. Soon enough the real pulling power will be seen... Should do 12k on a single line. :beer:

chuck45

Observer
Great info and I'm looking forward to the rest of your write-upon this winch. I love the worm gears in this winch as they are self locking. My company uses a gear setup like this to power our big triplex pumps (500 to 2300 HP at up to 15,000 psi) and they have proven to be bullet proof when used and abused.

Having said that I don't understand this winch. I realize it's slow because of the gear ratio. But how can it be so slow and have such a high amperage draw? Given the gear ratio it seems the draw should be less.

I have been looking at getting a Husky 10k. I was out with somebody who had used these and he said the factory rating where conservative. I spoke to somebody at Superwinch who tests winches and he said the 10k usually stalls out at about 15k. I didn't ask about the 8k but if the numbers where similar that would project to a 12k stall.

The Husky and he 8274 are the contenders to replace my Warn PowerPlant as soon as I get on board air. I know the 8274 is fast and can be modded. This is te first I've heard of modding a Husky.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Excellent photos - thanks for posting them. I'd like to hear more about the Bowmotor.

Not sure about a Husky 10 pulling 15,000 pounds. When we ran ours to 10,000 pounds during the winch test it was really crawling at that point. Frankly I don't believe it would have done 5,000 pounds more.

We too are unsure why the Husky pulls as many amps as it does, although the worm drive system is mechanically less efficient than either spur or planetary gears. But the Husky is an awesome winch, and would still be my own top choice if I wanted one winch to last the life of the vehicle.

bjowett

Adventurer
The slow speed is due mostly to the worm gear.. the efficiency is about 37%. It just comes with the design. This causes the high amp draw as the motor is working harder than it would be if working through a more efficient box design. The benefit is built in braking with nothing to overheat.... If needed, one could lower vehicles down dangerous slopes all day long, or even over a cliff with this bad boy. If the powering out benefits won't be used much, you may be better off with the 8274.

What would you like to know about the Bowmotor?

Any chance you still have your test equipment? I have a Toyota Aisin A-1 1000 planetary winch I'd let you test...:)

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
A Jowett Jupiter? :cool:

When I searched "Bowmotor" all that I found was a UK page and what I assume was your original write-up. And a lot of garbage, google isn't what it used to be......

Some years ago I bought a dead Warn M8 for $25. The motor was toast and I found a replacement on ebay. The US based supplier said that they offer upgrade motors for most winches. I wish that I could find them again.

chuck45

Observer
Not sure about a Husky 10 pulling 15,000 pounds. When we ran ours to 10,000 pounds during the winch test it was really crawling at that point. Frankly I don't believe it would have done 5,000 pounds more.

If you ever do a test like this again I think a pull to stall test would be good.

The slow speed is due mostly to the worm gear.. the efficiency is about 37%. It just comes with the design. This causes the high amp draw as the motor is working harder than it would be if working through a more efficient box design. The benefit is built in braking with nothing to overheat.... If needed, one could lower vehicles down dangerous slopes all day long, or even over a cliff with this bad boy. If the powering out benefits won't be used much, you may be better off with the 8274.

I was leaning towards the Husky but may end up withthe 8274. I like it's line speed and amount of line it carries. And of all the winches they seem to have the best and most aftermarket support.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Another disappointing aspect of the Husky is its one-year warranty, the shortest in our review (the 8274 has a limited lifetime warranty). I think Superwinch could afford to do a lot better on that, given the construction and the premium price.

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
A Bowmotor is unlike any other winch motor except the TDS/Kingone range which are direct copies. A 12 volt unit will run 36volts without issue and their pulling capability is second to none. I would expect a good husky 8 to run up to +12k but at a high draw (say 475 to 500amps)

The biggest strength of these units is reliability with durability. They just pull and pull.
Whereas you take an 8274 - upgrade with a Bowmotor to give it a decent high load pulling capacity and it will fall apart (unlike an 8074 or a Belle View). Hence the good parts availability!

Personally I like a decent waterproof winch, with an external brake, massive power, reasonable speed, good freespool, ampage draw max'ing at 375 and half the price of an XP :) So that's what I have!

chuck45

Observer
Personally I like a decent waterproof winch, with an external brake, massive power, reasonable speed, good freespool, ampage draw max'ing at 375 and half the price of an XP :) So that's what I have!

Ok, I know you want me to ask the question - what do you have that meets your above criteria?

flyingsuccess

hi

A Bowmotor is unlike any other winch motor except the TDS/Kingone range which are direct copies. A 12 volt unit will run 36volts without issue and their pulling capability is second to none. I would expect a good husky 8 to run up to +12k but at a high draw (say 475 to 500amps)

The biggest strength of these units is reliability with durability. They just pull and pull.
Whereas you take an 8274 - upgrade with a Bowmotor to give it a decent high load pulling capacity and it will fall apart (unlike an 8074 or a Belle View). Hence the good parts availability!

A Bowmotor is unlike any other winch motor except the TDS/Kingone range which are direct copies. TDS copies Bowmotor? I used to hear that Goodwinch is Kingone's distributor. What does this mean?
:Wow1:

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
When KingOne developed the TDS series they looked for the best VFM motor on the market. David Bowyer was involved in the development of the TDS; he offered up the Bowmotor 1 as an example; so they copied it. TDS now make the Bowmotor 2

flyingsuccess

hi

When KingOne developed the TDS series they looked for the best VFM motor on the market. David Bowyer was involved in the development of the TDS; he offered up the Bowmotor 1 as an example; so they copied it. TDS now make the Bowmotor 2

Is there any difference between Bowmotor and TDS motor, say, which one is better? If Kingone copied(improved?) Bowmotor 1, then TDS could be a good winch i think. I am looking for a powerful and fast electric winch with 12000lbs, wondering if i will go for a TDS-12.0

98 SNAKE EATER

Adventurer
I just picked up a Husky10 off CL for $300 beans earlier today :cool:

Works fine, but needs a cable.

Any suggestions for a decent cable under $100 bucks?

Rick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier