Superwinch closes business

Box Rocket

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
"IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

Effective February 22, 2019, Superwinch Group, Inc. ceased operations in Portland, OR. However, this is not the end of the Superwinch brand. Westin Automotive Products, Inc., headquartered in San Dimas, CA, is in the process of acquiring specific assets, IP rights, and branding of SUPERWINCH. Westin looks forward to re-establishing the Superwinch brand’s business relationships with our automotive and industrial partners and is eager to integrate SUPERWINCH with the Westin family of products.

During the transition process, SUPERWINCH will be unable to accept new orders, process warranty claims, or make inventory transactions of any kind. Customer service coverage may be limited as well, but we will do our best to respond to customer inquiries in a timely manner. We would like to thank our loyal customers for standing by us through this process and hope to one day meet and exceed your expectations for the standards our brand has established over its many years."

DCH109

Adventurer
I have a X9 on the front of my Land Cruiser I bought from them 1.5 years ago.....When it breaks I guess it is Warn or Ramsey time. I have used Superwinches for years this is a shame.

Box Rocket

I have a X9 on the front of my Land Cruiser I bought from them 1.5 years ago.....When it breaks I guess it is Warn or Ramsey time. I have used Superwinches for years this is a shame.
You should look at ComeUp Winches if you haven't already.

Box Rocket

I have but something about where they are made bothers me, always has.
You know where most Ramsey and many of the Warns are made don't you? So were Superwinches. ;) It's a global market now for all brands. Doesn't really matter where something is made anymore. It all comes down to what materials and quality the manufacturer chooses.

In any case, Comeup has been around for more than 70 years. I figure if the guys crossing Antarctica, Greenland and other locations where having a reliable winch can mean the difference between life or death (literally), if those guys choose ComeUp when they could choose anything, that's good enough for me.

Of course, it's your money and I'm not trying to tell you how to spend it. I just think they are worth a look. Personally, I definitely wouldn't run a Ramsey over a ComeUp, but that's me.

DCH109

Adventurer
You know where most Ramsey and many of the Warns are made don't you? So were Superwinches. ;) It's a global market now for all brands. Doesn't really matter where something is made anymore. It all comes down to what materials and quality the manufacturer chooses.

In any case, Comeup has been around for more than 70 years. I figure if the guys crossing Antarctica, Greenland and other locations where having a reliable winch can mean the difference between life or death (literally), if those guys choose ComeUp when they could choose anything, that's good enough for me.

Of course, it's your money and I'm not trying to tell you how to spend it. I just think they are worth a look. Personally, I definitely wouldn't run a Ramsey over a ComeUp, but that's me.

I think you meant to say since the 70's Based on the information I have found about them.
Yes some Warn, Ramsey and Superwinches are made overseas. However some are not (well no Superwinches any more, I think the X9 was the last one still made mainly in the US, My motor is from eastern Europe).

Just depends on what you buy. I know the brand has a good name and is newer in the US. I just am not a fan of any winches from Asia in general. That is me though. Maybe I will change my mind one day.
For me I will save my $ and get an 8274, my last one was built like a tank and it seems my bumper will take it.

Box Rocket

I think you meant to say since the 70's Based on the information I have found about them.
Yes some Warn, Ramsey and Superwinches are made overseas. However some are not (well no Superwinches any more, I think the X9 was the last one still made mainly in the US, My motor is from eastern Europe).

Just depends on what you buy. I know the brand has a good name and is newer in the US. I just am not a fan of any winches from Asia in general. That is me though. Maybe I will change my mind one day.
For me I will save my $ and get an 8274, my last one was built like a tank and it seems my bumper will take it.
Comeup's been around since before the 70's ;)
Neither here nor there, but the location that something is manufactured these days in pretty irrelevant. Everyone is able to decide how to spend their money however they choose and if that means you don't like something, then you don't like something. The 8274 is an awesome winch. I've owned one on a previous vehicle so I can't disagree with that choice. As for ComeUp, I think it's worth your time to get some experience with one before writing them off completely. You might change your mind. Cheers

jadmt

ignore button user
The regional Warn warranty repair shop told me they have seen less VR series winches needing warranty work than the others.

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
Just to clear some things up about our products:
  • All but one of our truck winch models has a final point of assembly of Clackamas, Oregon. They are made with parts from the USA and around the world. Some parts, including our gears, come into our building as raw steel, and leave inside our winches. In addition, nearly all of our mounting systems are made in the USA. We employ 400 workers at our headquarters/factory in Oregon.
  • Our VR line is made in China. However, it is designed, engineered, and tested extensively by us, and carries the same limited lifetime warranty on mechanical components and seven year warranty on electrical parts. We also have an in-house staff of customer service folks with an average tenure of 14 years.
  • FYI, our powersports winches all leave our factory in Oregon, too.
  • Warn Industries was founded in 1948 and has been in business over 70 years.
If anyone ever has any questions about our products or services, don't hesitate to reach out to me directly; happy to help!

- Andy

Westy

Adventurer
Just to clear some things up about our products:
  • All but one of our truck winch models has a final point of assembly of Clackamas, Oregon. They are made with parts from the USA and around the world. Some parts, including our gears, come into our building as raw steel, and leave inside our winches. In addition, nearly all of our mounting systems are made in the USA. We employ 400 workers at our headquarters/factory in Oregon.
  • Our VR line is made in China. However, it is designed, engineered, and tested extensively by us, and carries the same limited lifetime warranty on mechanical components and seven year warranty on electrical parts. We also have an in-house staff of customer service folks with an average tenure of 14 years.
  • FYI, our powersports winches all leave our factory in Oregon, too.
  • Warn Industries was founded in 1948 and has been in business over 70 years.
If anyone ever has any questions about our products or services, don't hesitate to reach out to me directly; happy to help!

- Andy

Good info, thanks for sharing Andy. Always had excellent customer service interaction with Warn reps. Very knowledgeable and helpful.

dcg141

Adventurer
I'm a big fan of Warn M series winches. I have owned several and my current rig is also going to have one when I purchase a bumper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior