Supercharger / Baja ?

jah310

Adventurer
So I've Always daydreamed of having a bit more power for my double cab 4x4 2010 v6 Tacoma. I've read a ton of good things about the Trd supercharger and if money wasn't a concern I think I'd pull the trigger. My only concern is the fact that they suggest you run higher octane gas - not so much for the extra cost but more for my trips down to baja mex where availability of premium fuel is somewhat unreliable. It would be a shame to outfit my Tacoma for "expedition travel" only to have it be limited to areas with reliable availability of premium gas.

That being said I was cruising the web and found an article stating that the trd supercharger can run on 87 if needed. " For safety’s sake, the engine map developed for the supercharger will allow the engine to run on 87 octane, but the power output will suffer as the ECU retards the ignition timing to prevent detonation." see this article http://www.toyotaracing.com/trd/features/package_4_0l_v6_supercharger.html

Has anybody (who has a Ted supercharger) run into a situation where they've had to use 87 octane? Does the engine still run okay? Would you knowingly go on a trip where premium gas might not be available (baja)???

Any feedback would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Loober

Adventurer
I have a S/C on mine and have taken it down to baja many times, yes there is definately nothing "premium" about the pemex premium gas, you notice a difference and have to chnage your driving style to keep it from pinging. You could make another map for it, which i would think is a pain in the ***, what i found is the best/safest solution, octane booster. I use the lucas oil brand, bring a couple bottles with me and it works great, it is even noticaebly better then usa 91, and i just use the red pemex with it. Just be sure to put it in BEFORE you fill up. I've run at least 10 bottles threw mine and have not seen any negative impacts.

Sempertoy

Explorer
^ good idea, that is a good way to think out of the box. I will second using an octane booster, I usally run a bottle of lucas through mine every few tanks. Great way to supercahrge your truck and be able to take it to baja!

jah310

Adventurer
Hmmm good idea...have you run your trucks on 87 octane. Does it work like the TRD article says it does? (see first post)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior