Supercharged 5VZFE and cooling

Arclight

SAR guy
I think you misread my post. It's easy to know when the O/D is off... there's a light in the dash, conveniently labelled "O/D OFF".

"If you don't turn off overdrive on that auto while pulling grades, that's part of where the heat is coming from. The overdrive function doesn't allow torque converter lockup and creates a HUGE amount of heat when it's working. Turn if off every time you pull a grade, or you'll be rebuilding or replacing that transmission in short order."

This is a reasonable theory. I'll see about installing a temperature measurement device on the pressure line from the transmission.

Mr. Optimist

While this may not be helpful, it is more data...

I had a 96 tacoma with a 3.4(5 speed) that had a past time of overheating. Replaced everything, koyorad, fan, fan clutch, tstat, hoses and fluid many times. Any sort of incline the thing would climb to 230* like it was designed to do that. Idiot gauge went up quick. No exhaust in the coolant and never burned a drop of anything. After putting many thousands of dollars into that truck I eventually sold out of frustration for...

I currently have a 98 4runner with a 3.4(5 speed) with a supercharger(2nd gen). I run between 203-208* and the idiot gauge always reads dead center, if not a little in the cold side. I am going to put a 170* tstat in it this winter plus a 2 core radiator in prep for a smaller pulley and 7th injector. I would say that the supercharger raised the coolant temp 5-10 degrees.

If I were in your position the first thing I would do in not run the tranny cooler in the radiator. Temporarily run through your external and see what happens. Can't hurt right?

ToyotaRoamer86

Adventurer
Any and all coolers would be a great idea. A lower thermostat and a possible electronic twin fan set up. Is anybody running the URD 7th injector at all?

ToyotaRoamer86

Adventurer
Check out the snow methanol kits as well! Out of Colorado and a great way to get temps down while increasing horses while on steep grades.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
In your instructions you told him to turn off the o/d so as to make sure it slips... This will increase heat, not decrease... But that is hypothetical... He may not have the power, and I doubt he does, to pull grades loaded with the convertor locked..

Perhaps you meant the opposite?

My Tundra had basically the same powertrain- when you poke the OD Off button, the converter will stay locked, even standing on the skinny pedal, until you drop into 2nd. No heat, and the engine is right in the meaty part of the torque curve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94