Super Strong fabric adhesive suggestions please....

tlin

Adventurer
I want to put a handle, similar to the one on my wife's Yeti, on my Ozark cooler (pic below). I have a similar handle I can use but have no idea what would be the right adhesive.....thanks in advance for any useful suggestions.

1646851270070.png

dstefan

+1 on VHB. Clean the fabric and mating surface really well with alcohol, let it dry. Rough the non fabric surface lightly with some 80 grit sandpaper, clean again with alcohol. Use a couple of coats of 3M's VHB primer on both surfaces. Apply tape to the fabric, use a roller or other strong pressure (I sometimes use a vise, without getting too crazy) on the fabric and VHB. Then apply the fabric and VHB to the other surface. Use the roller or other pressure. Don't do it when it's cold and try to let it sit for a day before using.

dstefan

@The Artisan & @dstefan - Specifics on which VHB is being recommend? Lots of options and I don’t think the big box store version is going to cut it.
I have been using 5952 3M VHB with good results. It’s very high temperature resistant, which is my main need, but I found it sticks incredibly well to many things as long as I’m doing the correct prep and using the primer. After some research I found out I could even use it on UHMW and I’ve used on neoprene rubber as well as some heavy duty Cordura type fabric as well.

You can buy 15 foot rolls on Amazon. Be aware that 3M only sells this in a 35 yard roll, and the Amazon products are re-rolled off of a 3M produced roll. It’s not a problem. I’ve used both and they’re identical.

I‘ve bought from this vendor and it was genuine:

This is the primer, but it's likely more than you’ll ever use, unless you have a lot of projects you’re using the VHB for. There are also individual wipe type packages of 3M Adhesion promoter that you can find if you look around on Amazon. They may be better for a low volume use. I think it’s the same stuff, but you might need to check that.

Last edited:

tlin

Adventurer
I have been using 5952 3M VHB with good results. It’s very high temperature resistant, which is my main need, but I found it sticks incredibly well to many things as long as I’m doing the correct prep and using the primer. After some research I found out I could even use it on UHMW and I’ve used on neoprene rubber as well as some heavy duty Cordura type fabric as well.

You can buy 15 foot rolls on Amazon. Be aware that 3M only sells this in a 35 yard roll, and the Amazon products are re-rolled off of a 3M produced roll. It’s not a problem. I’ve used both and they’re identical.

I‘ve bought from this vendor and it was genuine:

This is the primer, but it's likely more than you’ll ever use, unless you have a lot of projects you’re using the VHB for. There are also individual wipe type packages of 3M Adhesion promoter that you can find if you look around on Amazon. They may be better for a low volume use. I think it’s the same stuff, but you might need to check that.

I've used VHB from Home Depot before.......I know it was 3M, it was the strongest one they had at the time (maybe 20#'s???). It's in my engine bay right now holding my winch's control module and holding just fine but that piece is.......maybe 4 #'s (give or take).

You're telling me you'd trust VHB tape (prepared/applied as noted above) to a small-ish cooler lid in the manner I'm seeking and loaded to say.....20 #'s and walk around with it, lightly toss it in/out of my GX, and believe it'll last for a long, long time? Seems crazy to me (I just didn't realize VHB was actually THAT reliable and strong).

I appreciate your input - thx!!!

Edit - just watched this and have also been doing some reading. Interesting!

@The Artisan - also a thanks for the recommendation!!!

Last edited:

dstefan

You're telling me you'd trust VHB tape (prepared/applied as noted above) to a small-ish cooler lid in the manner I'm seeking and loaded to say.....20 #'s and walk around with it, lightly toss it in/out of my GX, and believe it'll last for a long, long time? Seems crazy to me (I just didn't realize VHB was actually THAT reliable and strong).
Nope! Not on fabric joined to vinyl/plastic and not with that weight and usage given what looks like maybe 2 sq inches. I would trust it as the open/close aux handle, which is how I thought you would be using it. If you had metal to metal contact then yes. Maybe if you attach the handle mechanically to an aluminum square, then VHB the square to the cooler lid? Or maybe with a much bigger fabric contact patch, say 2 square inches each each side. You can try and see.

Do a test with the fabric and some similar material to the cooler top. I often try a test if Im using it in some non standard way. There are also specific VHB types for ”low energy“ surfaces. 3m has some good materials on their website to help you pick.

Last edited:

The Artisan

Adventurer
I just read your post, sorry did not realize you were going to carry the cooler by the handle I thought you were using it to lift the lid as well. You could vhb the handle to a piece of alum or abs plastic, then use another piece under the lid and rivet the 2. Is the lid hard plastic? if so no need for the piece under it, just rivet to it
Most of these handles are heat seam sealed or sewn.
Kevin

Last edited:

tlin

Adventurer
Why go tho all that hassle? Use the molle to attach handle.

Leveraging the molle doesn't improve over what's currently there (there's both some grab handles on the side and a shoulder strap not visible in my pic above).

I know this sounds stupid but I have to stoop over every time I go pick this cooler up (to get either the side grab handles or use the shoulder strap) and it drives me frikkin' nuts. My wife's Yeti - you just grab that top handle and off you go.

I'll go with a mechanical/bolt-thru system. I was trying to avoid drilling through the lid but a tight hole with some sealant and rubber isolation washers top/bottom should keep it clean. It is what it is.....thanks for entertaining my OCD this week, take care guys!

tacomabill

VHB tape by itself will be adequate. I used it to secure a 22# solar panel to the roof of my truck camper with nothing else, no screws, rivets etc. the panel came with a one square inch leg on each corner and that is what the tape is attached to. I have driven it over 40k miles up to 80mph and it is as snug as the day I installed it. I couldnt pull it free after it had cured for a couple days. I am actually concerned about how to remove the panel should I need to replace it, but I think 3M sells a solvent to do that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles