super singles, how many spares

trackadda

Observer
just trying to finalize my nps300 camper plans and i can't decide on room on the back for 1 or 2 spares. i know a lot of people have 2 spares but in reality how many have used both. in all my travels i have only carried one spare but that was in a landcruiser so tyres were easy to find although never required. Have always carried a tyre plug kit, new inner tube and several large patchs, tyre lvers ect and the know how to use them all. only ever used the plugs at times and mostly not for me. travels will be only in australia and if a remote area would be at least 1 other vehicle. i don't want to be a penny pincher, it is more the space on the back could be better used ,MAYBE?. almost forgot, the wheels will be atw alloys. So the question is, who has used or required 2 spares ? thanks Gary

Aussie Iron

Explorer
I carry 2 spares. Have had 2 flats in one day. Would I go remote with one spare even with other vehicles in the group - NO.

Maybe just me,
Dan.

unkamonkey

Explorer
We run in different areas and I have had to change the LF tire 3 times out along a busy highway. Not all on the same day mind you. I lost the tread on the inside dual one night. I limped home and fought with it the next day.
The POs did Baja with no spare at all so the first thing I did was to set up a spare tire. A plug kit would have done me no good once as the tire had done it's best to remove the inner fender.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Personally. I think that the decision on how many spares to carry should also take into consideration the type of tyre you are using.
If, like me, you are using the Toyo M608Z tyres, these are a light truck tyre with a pretty tough sidewall. The chance of damaging the sidewall in these tyres is probably less than other tyres that may bag out more with low pressures.
A plug will fix a puncture, but there is little you can do if you damage the sidewall.
So... how many spares? I have two because it makes me feel more comfortable.

DIPA

Super Singles how many

As Aussi Iron says definitely 2,in 2014 I destroyed 4 with irreparable wall damage on stakes and was fortunate to be travelling with 2 other like vehicles and borrowed a spare of each.
They had one puncture between them obviously after some 10 odd years with this vehicle travelling to remote areas without even a puncture I hadn't payed the correct toll for this trip..lol.

Cheers DIPA

steve66

Observer
Very good question, I thought the toyo's were fairly bullet proof as well but have met a
guy who tore out the sidewall of one after hitting a rock on the grr in his isuzu. Ive also seen 3 different SLR isuzu's with a shredded spare hanging off the rear.

personally, im starting out with one spare, will have the plug kit etc, the space were the 2nd spare would go is now a firewood box but ive designed the mount so I can replace the box with a 2nd spare in future if need be.

cheers steve

p.s trackadda, did u get my email on the springs?

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Since I switched to running the m608z tires I only carry one spare, with a comprehensive repair kit

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Dual spares also does allow for tire rotation without reversing the direction of the tires as when switched from side to side. Not clear if that matters that much though - some people think it does...

And Dual spares are also much better if the tires have directional treads...

Last edited:

trackadda

Observer
Very good question, I thought the toyo's were fairly bullet proof as well but have met a
guy who tore out the sidewall of one after hitting a rock on the grr in his isuzu. Ive also seen 3 different SLR isuzu's with a shredded spare hanging off the rear.

personally, im starting out with one spare, will have the plug kit etc, the space were the 2nd spare would go is now a firewood box but ive designed the mount so I can replace the box with a 2nd spare in future if need be.

cheers steve

p.s trackadda, did u get my email on the springs?

yes Steve i did get your email and i thank you for that, as for the springs i am still procrastinating over them. I dropped into a local body builder a week or so ago and they were up for a chat so was good. all the bodies they do that need spring mounting like water tankers ect they use a standard one spring fits all policy and add the appropriate amount of mounts depending on the length of body. as long as it can't move side ways or front to back and they suggest one fixed point on each side at middle or rear. their thoughts were the springs are not carrying the load , only acting as a stress absorber?. i bought one spring off them for $20 to have a play with

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
their thoughts were the springs are not carrying the load , only acting as a stress absorber?

That is absolutely correct.
The mount should take all the fore, aft and lateral loads and the spring allows for some chassis/subframe separation to reduce torsional stresses.
In my opinion, if the spring mounts are designed correctly there should be no need for a fixed mount.

Be mindful that the majority of body builders are manufacturing for the transport industry and their designs are primarily used on paved roads.
There are very few body builders that deal with 4x4 trucks, so looking at how companies that do is probably more beneficial. I know that ATW and Earthcruiser do not use fixed mounts, if that is anything to go by.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Suppose I should add that we do carry a comprehensive repair kit as well as tubes and sleeves for larger repairs. We also run directional tyres at times so 2 spares helps with that. No tyres is bullet proof as stakes know the right angle to do damage. I know because we use "wire armored" tractor tyres and they still get staked at times. The decision is what you are comfortable with and if you like to finish a trip with possibly no spare.

Dan.

Spent a lot of time in Africa with landcruisers and landrovers. My experience was always take a second spare when we went deep bush. I did need a second spare several times, actually needed a third and fourth, that's where time repair kit/ pump comes in handy. Learned hardest.. Road debris can cut any quality tire..you can also damage a rim, that's why I run metal, local shops can repair them. Running specialized tyres in remote areas you are a long way from a replacement. In reality it a combination of how many miles you actually drive, eventually you will need a second spare vrs simple bad luck.
Enjoy the bush and don't sweat overthinking.

trackadda

Observer
thanks for all your replies, looks like i will at least building in enough mounts for 2 spares even if one is only used for the remote trips. after reading all your thoughts mine are that once you have got your spare wheel on the vehicle the rest of the trip with no spare would be rather stressfull and life is too short for that. great to have a forum like this to bounce ideas off other like minded people. Gary

selfy

Observer
I carry 1 spare wheel a complete tyre repair kit (plugs tyre patches and tubes) and then carry a spare tyre casing as well as tyre levers and bead breakers
its just a weight saver not to carry a 2nd spare rim and tyres are not that hard to change when you have to

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior