Super Single Help.

CaptainBuilt

I have a 4WD van, and I'm looking to buy either a RAM 5500 or a Ford F-550 for a truck camper. I wanna do a super single conversion.

The truck I wanna buy will be a old flatbed or just cab / chassis. I know I can easily convert a F-550 from 2WD to 4WD. But I'm looking to buy already 4WD. I'd rather a Cummins, but I can deal with another 7.3L. Or if I can get a late model for a good deal, I'll do that too.

Here's my questions.

What front / rear axles are on those trucks? Dana 60/70/80?
Locker options?
Best super single company options?

I plan on a Northern Lite or Arctic Fox Camper.

Thanks!

Rcpone

Your best bet is to visit the Ford Truck forums. I know for a fact, the difference from a F350 to F550 was the final drive ratios ie 3.73 to 4.56 for the 550. Determine whether your off road use to highway use is a factor. Good luck with your project, but some use home work info is important.

OverlandFT

The Ram 5500s have a Magna Steyr 275MM front axle and DANA S-111 rear axle. They are massive, strong axles with limited options for traction aid upgrades. I believe most of the Rams come with limited slip from the factory in the S111. I don't own a Ford, but believe they use the same S111.

Super single options: Rickson, DBL, Buckstop, 1st Attack, Stazworks

I'm in the process of getting a super single conversion on my Ram. I got quoted around $867/each for buckstop steel wheels, $435/each for 1st attack steel wheels and $700/each for DBL aluminum wheels. The DBL wheels look really nice and are beadlocks. 1stattack has been in the business for a long time and seem like a good choice for the price, but don't compare directly to DBL because they're steel and non beadlock. Either way, throw in tires and it gets expensive quick. One of those two companies will get my business, but I have no hands on experience with any of the wheels yet.

Wildcat13

No dealings with the RAM but the F550 will most likely have a Dana 111 or Dana 135 rear end with the available rear limited slip. Factory ratios for the F550 are 4.88 and 5.13. Front axle is a beefed up Dana 60. Earlier models had leaf spring suspension up front. 05 and up had coil spring suspension up front.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

deaunovich

2017+ f350-f600 use the Dana m300 rear axle with the f450 up have the more hd version. In the front, the f450 uses the Dana 60 wide track.

danneskjold

Your best bet is to visit the Ford Truck forums. I know for a fact, the difference from a F350 to F550 was the final drive ratios ie 3.73 to 4.56 for the 550. Determine whether your off road use to highway use is a factor. Good luck with your project, but some use home work info is important.

There’s a lot more to it than just that - namely frame and axle.

HAF

I have a Buckstop kit for 2016 Ram 5500 that I will be selling. Includes bumper, fender flairs, lift kit and 5 set of wheels and tires (MPT80). Have about 4,000 miles on tires.

Powderturkey

I am looking at getting ram 5500 super single, bumpers and lift from buckstop. But it seem like they are a more of a Ford shop. There are way more options for the Ford then the ram. Anyone know of a comparable shop that specializes in the ram?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94