Super Rare 1992 Toyota Coaster looking for builder

Machu

Please dont get super upset if I'm posting in the wrong place, not sure where to go with this as EP has so many people who have so much knowledge, I couldn't help but try.
So after many months of searching for the perfect off road off grid rig... I bought a 1992 Toyota Coaster...
I know!! But it was a good opportunity and in Australia they're 4x4 often, either converted or built that way in Japan, not sure. Very popular in Australia and honestly they're little beasts! Mine is not 4x4 and converting doesnt seem right after driving it. But it's awesome!!
So already has a bath, kitchen, etc. 20' and dually. Only 14k miles:)
Nothing works, which isn't what I paid for, but I planned a remodel anyway, so I'll let that be the seller's karma.
So looking for a builder to update and make this amazing super rare mini bus live up to it's full potential. Completely off grid. And gutted as it's got pink tufted ceilings with 2 chandeliers:) gotta love the JDM's...
I also I'm possibly getting a isuzu rodeo 4x4, 22' which is also super great. I want to make that into a little earthroamer. Got a great engine, 30k miles, 1992, right hand manual. Want to make that off grid and off road, not crazy but capable.
So, looking for a builder who knows JDM's and would be excited about working on two super fun builds. The rodeo really has a lot of potential, it's just not as rare as the Coaster (been told theres only a handful in the states, and EVERYWHERE i go it's a attention grabber, which I'm honestly didn't expect and dont love, and hope a new paint job will take a little attention off, maybe)
Anyways. Thanks in advance!! You guys on EP have been so helpful in the past, so I'm hoping to find that special someone ;)
Will post pics tomorrow if anyones interested.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
Super rare and old = unicorn parts that you will spend forever trying to find to keep it on the road.
Sorry, just my thought. I have a few oddities and love the hunt for the parts. 1961 boat for one. But they are domestic and I can generally find things like bearings and seals easy enough. Industrial supplies. The internet makes things a lot easier than in the old days. But still there are a lot of things that are very specific to that vehicle. And if yours is bad, and used one will be more used and also bad.

While cool, be prepared to be on the hunt for parts.

Machu

Hey what model is the Coaster?
Sorry for the delay, not getting notified.
It's a 1992 Toyota coaster deluxe
Think it was probably built out from a passenger mini bus into rv many years ago. Been driving it now a month and love it. But it needs an upgrade.
If you know anyone, please let me know. I'm in the PNW but will travel anywhere the bus can take me. Its a dually, and I'm unfamiliar with driving in snow, ice, etc. The tires are new but it was a squeeze fitting them where the Japanese tires were. Not sure if I can chain or not. Never chained any tire before...
All that said, if I can find someone excited about working on a super rare import and making it amazing, I'll wait till summer to get it done, then I can get anywhere!!

Machu

Super rare and old = unicorn parts that you will spend forever trying to find to keep it on the road.
Sorry, just my thought. I have a few oddities and love the hunt for the parts. 1961 boat for one. But they are domestic and I can generally find things like bearings and seals easy enough. Industrial supplies. The internet makes things a lot easier than in the old days. But still there are a lot of things that are very specific to that vehicle. And if yours is bad, and used one will be more used and also bad.

While cool, be prepared to be on the hunt for parts.
Thanks for the input. Really do appreciate it. I actually grabbed the Rodeo a few days ago and it broke down hours later. Jumped it, died again. Was pretty pissed. Cold night for my 20yr old cat, no jump for 4 hours (that's thanks to my stalking situation). SUPPOSEDLY it's ready to go, but the fridge had to be pulled cause it had a super chemical smell leaking, heard that happens.
I'm wanting to upgrade it, maybe not a gut job like the bus, but theres work to be done. Want lithium and solar, big water tank, storage, etc. I really think it's a good start for me as like a mini earthroamer.. that might cause a laugh. But the size is awesome and it drives nice (when it drove :( the layout is sweet, more room I think, than the romer for chilling.
So I get hunting for parts... does that include under the hood? Or more for the house part of the vehicle?
Appreciate so much any input.
Pic's or don't actually have it!
I will post tomorrow. But I ******** you not, I get compliments every day, all day long. If I can find a builder, I want to try to import more. Pics tomorrow!! Get ready for pink tufted ceiling with mini chandeliers:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles