Super hardcore offroad- considering ditching the tacoma for a vw wagon

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
I'm not sure if you have your heart set on a diesel, but I know there are a number of AWD options out there that do get decent mileage these days. One of my daily drivers is a 2010 Suzuki SX4 AWD.

Just another SX4 owner here. You guys would be amazed at the places I've taken this little thing with nothing more than the addition of a 2 inch suspension lift, some decent all-terrain tires, and some good skidplates.

P1010527.jpg

P1010565.jpg

P1020437_resize.jpg

P1020350_resize.jpg

P1010952.jpg

P1010575.jpg

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
I really like the SX4's but are a bit small. Subarus naturally are great, a friend had a forester with 215/75/15 mud terrains and wow did that thing work great.

I can agree that a wagon can and will do great but surely has its limitations. My wife and I carpool in and daily drive an 04 toyota matrix XR awd. We have taken many a roadtrip in this car, and done some light offroading/fire road running and camping. I find it comfortable enough for sleeping in and relatively decent on fuel consumption. I do have some complaints about lack of power but at the same time I do appreciate the simplicity of the car.

Being poor(ish) and on a budget, I have many a time considered building this car to be more serious and capable. I paid fairly cheap for the car because it was previously rebuilt so I wouldnt feel overly guilty beating it up a little. Ive had a diesel chevy truck Ive began building but often think of selling to simply build the car.

Things Id like for the car would be:

-Remove some lighting from the truck and install on car(lightforce blitz 240s,HID conversions, Some LEDs for visibility on rear and sides.)
-a small atv winch thay will slide into the rear 1 1/4 tow hitch
-2" or so lift.
-roof basket or rack(lightweight as possible, alum if possible)
-high mounted air intake and breathers.

I tow a trailer every now and again with a snowmobile or ATV on it with no troubles. I tried a 205/65/16 tire but id did not work well cutting fuel milare by about 25-30% so went back to 205/55/16s.

We do plan afew trips this coming season( the usuals around north shore MN, at least one around lake superior, some up in northern ontario, lots here in northwestern ontario and most likely out to BC/Yukon/NWT/Alaska) I feel maybe the car would be best since its the most reliable and economical vehicle we own and dont know that we would need the truck to do the trips.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
I tow a trailer every now and again with a snowmobile or ATV on it with no troubles. I tried a 205/65/16 tire but id did not work well cutting fuel milare by about 25-30% so went back to 205/55/16s.

That's way more of a drop than than you should have seen. That would mean a drop in fuel economy from 30mpg to only 20-23mpg!!! You must have forgotten to correct for the skewed odometer reading, even though the jump from 205/55-R16 to a 205/65-R16 would only make your odometer read 6.5% under your actual mileage accumulation (and report 28mpg instead of an actual 30mpg). There's something clearly wrong, because even going from street tires to Super Swamper Bogger tires wouldn't introduce that much of a decrease in fuel economy.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
We have a 2010 VW Golf TDI four door, we love it so far. Overall average is 40.5mpg for 11.5k miles so far, but we drive it pretty hard. On the freeway (75-80mph) it makes an easy 42-45mpg cruising, engine running at only 2200rpm. It is very comfortable for long trips, plenty of torque, runs great, revs smoothly, etc. No you cannot run more than B5, but who cares really? We run regular diesel and use stanadyne performance formula for increased lubricity. The DPF regen is no big deal, the only time we ever notice it even happens is if we shut the car down during the regen because the fans will continue to run.
dieselgeek.com sells aluminum skid plates and they are pretty heavy duty. The cars do not have a lot of ground clearance under the engine so it is a must have. Although I think the sportwagen sits a little

Are far as maybe hating driving a car, you might. I love driving the golf (it's my wife's daily), but I couldn't give up my truck for one. I have owned nothing but 4x4s, so it would be difficult for me to give up. However since you are just driving a 2wd truck, you might not mind so much.

I've pretty much decided on the waggy but am waiting for a good deal and to make a decision about my next job. I will be getting a better to handle truck duty after a few months with the car. Glad to hear you like the car, hopefully I will too. I will have to change a few things about the way I drive and some places I go will require more walking but its double.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
MY mom's got a new Sport-Wagon TDI with the 6spd and all I can say is it is a FANTASTIC car. IF there were a more "Subie Outback-ish" model it'd be a realy great little light Off-Roader. Certainly one of the only ways to get a factory Diesel vehicle here and it get's awesome milage with more then enough power... Hell, we pulled 5th gear over the pass on Mt. Hood here in Oregon doing 65 all the way and still could have gone faster. They are AWESOME cars.

That said, why not get yourself an older Toyota truck and do a Diesel swap to a 1KZ-T with all the money you'd have to buy (if you can find one) the Jetta Diesel you could build a pretty amazing little mini-truck that would get great ilage and be VERY VERY capable off-road. Plus you'd be recycling an old vehicle instead of just buying a new one. That sound's pretty GREEN to me mate ;)

Cheers

Dave

S

Squatchout

Might I suggest another option. How about a cute ute. Honda CRV or similar. I haven't driven the newer CRVs but my wife has a '99 we bought new. It's been one of the best vehicle we've ever owned. 190k miles=couple of exhaust gaskets, 3 sets of tires, 1 set of brakes, a one bad electrical connector in the drivers door. Just scheduled maint otherwise. I have no problem getting around 30mpg from it. It also has a nice high upright seating position that doesn't feel like you are looking at the bottom of pick em ups on the road. They are based on the Civic platform so they actually drive quite sporty.

The Honda AWD system is amazing. Super simple system with no electronics involved nor driver input needed. It is normally FWD and if the tires slip the rear wheels engage to assist. You will never know it's working. In light snow it is superior to most modern 4x SUVs. It also has decent ground clearance for dirt roads with most of the under carriage tucked up out of harms way.

With the back seat folded flat a full sized mountain bike will lay inside no problem without removing wheels ect. Great head room and driver visibility. It fits both me at 6' and 235# and also my tiny 4'11" wife in the drivers seat. Most cars ft one or the other well. Plenty comfortable for 4 people.

It has no problem towing a small trailer with a jon boat or canoes on it. The roof is easy to reach on the outside for canoes ect on aftermarket racks. Bucu storage in the back and it even has a sturdy small card table under the rear floor that sets up in seconds. I'm actually going to start looking in junk yards soon for couple of these tables to use in my other truck for folding camp tables.

I've own and have owned several built 4xs over the years and I guess you can tell this little beach buggy(what we call it) has impressed me!

Last edited:

Bushmaster6

Adventurer
have both

I tend to disagree with you OP.. wagons are sexy... but I love my truck(s) too.. I've had two Audi A4s, one sedan (sold it and bought a 93 FJZ80 to replace it) and one Avant, 6-speed 3.0 V6 with the sport suspension.. gets decent mileage on road trips, handles like a sports car, stellar in the snow, and comes with a great crash test reputation.. thus, this is the wifey's daily driver/son's hauler.. AND, my opinion, one of the best looking Audis made.. I drool over a B6 and B7 S4 Avant, but logic prevents me from going there..
kaznewcar3.jpg

I always dug the Allroad in concept, but don't know that I"d buy one..

recommendation: cover both of your needs... get your daily driver the way you want (green and all), and then search CL for relativley late model T100 or Tundras for occassional use.. much cheaper than Tacomas, more truck, bulletproof reliability, and only sucks gas when you need it ... and you could easily get into late model or low mileage versions of both of these vehicles for less than 17k (combined price) if you're patient

Rando

Explorer
I definitely feel the OP's pain. I find it really frustrating that on the majority of the trips I take (and this is probably true for most folk on here) I drive maybe 500 miles round trip on the highway or graded dirt roads and maybe 10 - 50 miles of road where I actually need the Tacoma. It stinks to get 20 Mpg in order to make it that last 5% of the trip.

Depending on your ratio of off road trips to everyday/highway driving the best solution is to keep the Tacoma you have and get a super fuel efficient every day driver. I bought a couple of year old prius for driving around town and on road trips on the pavement when we won't be camping. Fuel economy aside, I usually pick the prius unless I really need the truck - it is safer, faster and much more comfortable to drive. When ever I am on the highway I see folks commuting day in and day out in there lifted, mud tired, roof racked land cruisers and xterrras and it just seems crazy.

S

Squatchout

I definitely feel the OP's pain. I find it really frustrating that on the majority of the trips I take (and this is probably true for most folk on here) I drive maybe 500 miles round trip on the highway or graded dirt roads and maybe 10 - 50 miles of road where I actually need the Tacoma. It stinks to get 20 Mpg in order to make it that last 5% of the trip.

Depending on your ratio of off road trips to everyday/highway driving the best solution is to keep the Tacoma you have and get a super fuel efficient every day driver. I bought a couple of year old prius for driving around town and on road trips on the pavement when we won't be camping. Fuel economy aside, I usually pick the prius unless I really need the truck - it is safer, faster and much more comfortable to drive. When ever I am on the highway I see folks commuting day in and day out in there lifted, mud tired, roof racked land cruisers and xterrras and it just seems crazy.

Good points. For about 4 years now I have been using a cheap used 40mpg Civic for commuting and errand running and save my Trooper for bad weather and when I need it or trips. I paid #3.05 gallon for regular today in PA on a trip. Ouch! The Civic gets better than twice the mileage of the 4cyl Trooper.

Might I suggest another option. How about a cute ute. Honda CRV or similar.

My truck gets very good mileage and I doubt a ute would do much better and I would lose alot of space.

bushmaster-
Love the A4. I wish they would offer the TDI in more of an allroad/subi type setup.

Also, I plan to get a cheap older f-250 4x4 to pull truck duties. I plan to be getting back into landscaping/hobby farming over the next few years and this would work perfect for that and camping trips.

Im looking around for a certified used sportwagen for a little while but if nothing shows up in a month or so, or the salesman will do better on the trade, im jumping on a new one.

slowtwitch

Adventurer
Get a Suby wagon. Ultra reliable/hassle free, killer on nasty roads. Great resale, very safe, good, if not the best interior room.

The VW's are sexy and different, but they are high maintanance, both in regular servicing, and in all the other crap that goes wrong with them. Do your research, look at the various reporting agencies and you will see it plain as day.

We have an 07 XT that gets passable mileage, is as able as anything out there on bad roads and up to to medium dirt. And absolutely hauls a** when you need it to.. Audi destroyer. With a rocket box on top, there's even more room, and the power band seems unaffected with loads, and still gets decent mileage.

st

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I wouldn't buy another newer Subaru if it was half off. We had an 08 Legacy GT, bought it with 5k miles and it was a piece of junk. Generally fun to drive but a terribly built car. The engine was overly noisy, everything rattled and creaked, the interior was poorly thought out and cheap feeling, paint was very thing and wearing already, clearcoat was failing on all four wheels, the center diff smelled like is was going to burn up any time it was driven on snow, there were electrical problems in the dash (intermittent flickering lights and power loss to stereo). There are MANY documented and very common problems with turbo oil lines plugging up and causing them to fail, broken oil pick up tubes, broken sway bar mounts.
It was a good looking car and made decent power. But seriously it was like owning a KIA or something with AWD, just garbage. We traded it in for the Golf TDI when it had 18k miles on it and never had a single regret. The VW is MUCH more comfortable, the interior is very well thought out, handles better than the softly sprung legacy gt, the TDI is actually quieter than the 2.5L, shifter is much more precise and shorter throw, interior is quieter and rattle free at 11.5k miles (the Subaru wasn't).
Highway driving with the Subaru was terrible too. At 75-80mph the engine was screaming at nearly 3000RPM whereas the TDI is at 2200 RPM at 80 (still getting 40-44mpg too). The Subaru always strayed off of center and was easily pushed around by trucks and cross winds. The VW is rock solid.

So yeah, maybe the Subaru outback could get down the gravel roads better but I wouldn't own a Subaru again unless I was driving 90% on unimproved roads and needed a car for that.

Last edited:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
FWIW, a good buddy has a ford full sized diesel pickup that gets very decent gas mileage (30's if not 40's IIRC?). May be worth considering if you really want a pickup's benefits and the MPG to go with it.:victory:

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Wise choice! Go for it . . . I'm a greenie too (although you wouldn't necessarily know it from the number Rovers I own . . . :)) I've got your back . . . !

David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne