Super Duty Power Wagon competitor

Grump E-Vet

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Yea the ATACR got the contract, but I take that with a grain of salt when they award crap like the Sig optics and Sig320 lol. The NX8 eye box isn't as generous as the ATACR or Razor HD Gen2 especially on 8x. I liked the S&B CC a lot especially for its heyday some four years ago. I just sighted in the NX8 yesterday and on 1x it feels identical to a T1/2, at 8x it was nice to have a quality reticle and good illumination, but .2mil adjustments aren't going to win any precision awards. That said, how much does one need for use on a 5.56 rifle?

Big Ern

ATACR glass is good, but not as good as S&B. Another issue to consider is that the NF has a rotating eyepiece for mag. adjustment...this can be annoying (at least to me) for adjustments especially when running a bolt gun (which I do).

Also, can’t beat NF durability.

Big Ern

Another major issue if i am not mistaken is that the atacr in 1-8 is sfp; the nx8 is ffp. Close/mid range not a big issue, butnif doung precision work, long range, ranging/spotting, unk distnaces, etc. then ffp is a must.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Another major issue if i am not mistaken is that the atacr in 1-8 is sfp; the nx8 is ffp. Close/mid range not a big issue, butnif doung precision work, long range, ranging/spotting, unk distnaces, etc. then ffp is a must.

The ATACR 1-8x is a FFP optic, hence the F1 designation.

atacr-1-8x24-f1

I am a fan of FFP and agree on higher power work that a SFP is not ideal, that said, I think that 10x and under a SFP optic is fine especially since below 6x you wont really get much use out of the reticle as it is because it'll be too small to be of any real use. A SFP optic can be very useable on higher magnification, but only if used on the highest power in which the stadia lines and reticle was intended to be used.

Big Ern

Good to know on the F1 atacr. Were the older models a sfp? Maybe i got the focalnplane mixed up with the vortex razor hd gen 2 1-6.

The F1 makes this a very interesting option. Sounds like a great option for a gas gun. Thx for the head’s up.

mobob

Moderator should clean this thread up! It was good at one point.

I would trade my Gen 1 Raptor for the “right” version of this Ford PW. The only other truck I would consider is an actual power-wagon. I wouldn’t trade for a Gen2 Raptor either, just not sold on its overall reliability and the cost is stupid compared to what I paid new. Everything is a trade off and the PW is just a great all around truck for the money, especially when it is slow, rough and technical.

They all have a weight problem that is it’s own challenge from time to time, the diesel just makes it worse. I can understand the trade off for the mileage and torque, it really depends on where/how you intend to use it.

CCSB with the new 7.3 gasser, 37s, a ************** suspension that can also manage a real Payload and be as comfortable as my Gen 1, a top shelf winch, sliders, real skids and an owners manual that tells you how to jump it and I just might give in.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
^^^What he said^^^

I can easily be talked into one should it hit all of the right details. And the optic convo while off-topic, was lively and we are now back on track, it's not a big deal as this thread was simply speculative talk from the onset.

ttengineer

Adventurer
Idk. If ford dropped a power wagon competitor BUT offered the diesel ... I would be seriously tempted to trade my Cummins. But only after Carli develops a full kit for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Why would you buy a ''Highboy'' Super Duty, only to rip the suspension out and replace it with Carli? Paying twice for OE components rotting in the Garage.

Just get a regular SD and put the full Carli suspension on, and add a front locker.

Why would you buy a ''Highboy'' Super Duty, only to rip the suspension out and replace it with Carli? Paying twice for OE components rotting in the Garage..

Because thats what is the cool thing to do. How many people complain about the Raptor or PW payload because they want to put a camper on it so they replace everything to handle more weight. The factory versions of the these specialty models should be good enough for your needs, or get a base model and upgrade as you see fit. How many Rubicons have been adulterated the first day out of the show room

ttengineer

Adventurer
Why would you buy a ''Highboy'' Super Duty, only to rip the suspension out and replace it with Carli? Paying twice for OE components rotting in the Garage.

Just get a regular SD and put the full Carli suspension on, and add a front locker.

Fair point. But it would depend on what’s included with the package. Also, what parts are covered under warranty. Having factory integrated lockers would be a huge selling point.

It’s almost always cheaper to buy a less factory equipped vehicle and then build it up yourself, but when you start messing with axles, gears, and lockers, OEM warranty coverage can be a high value advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Littlehouse

Adventurer

If it were me, I'd run the Highboy for the life of the warranty and then upgrade. I've never had an HD truck, but it seems like the suspension on a truck like a raptor or power wagon, that actually gets used, would be worn out at that time and ready for an upgrade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles