Super cheapo van build, it's my fourth E350...

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Questions for those who might have answers LOL

How long after replacing the #8 injector will she start to smooth out while running?
(All procedures were followed to the T for replacing an injector, let's skip forward)

So she's running...
Upon first start she sounded and smoked like the problem was still there.
Letting it get to operating temps while idling and for about 30 mins getting better.
I dared to drive around the local area (just in case) still not right.
When for a 10 mile drive and clearly getting better.
Another drive, 20 miles thus time and again better. All fluids are correct and filled.
Should I keep adding miles and hope all falls back in to place? Or have more diagnostics done?

Yeah... hard day replacing the injector, but not *that bad.
I'll have pictures and some details Ina few days.
Sorry for being abrupt.
Time for bed.
Thanks!

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
It can take some time.

Seems when I did my injector swap it was nearly 50 miles until everything smoothed out.

What oil are you using?

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
A little ugly but ok.
Some smoke, heavy vibrations, smoke, shaking, more smoke then after it idled she smoothed out. Today she's feeling like a new girl again... but not perfect.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
The results were so bad, Ford didn't charge me for the diagnostics.
#8 is dead, sorry sir...

Need to plan something, ugh.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Before you get too worked up, have another mechanic look at it.

Ive seen more than a few misdiagnosed as simply "dead cylinder"

Find a diesel shop if you can.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I've been to four different diesel mechanics and the last straw was the dealership.

Everyone thinks loss of compression along with a strange electrical issue while driving.

I was recommended one more place but it's 200 miles away... and with my new job, scheduling is tough.

Thank you for being optimistic.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Where are you exactly?

Does your model year have the injector harnesses that are part of the valve cove pr gasket? Internal. I've heard these can be a bit problematic.

I can't imagine a cylinder with bad compression could run ok, then bad, then pretty ok, etc. Maybe your harness is sketchy at the number 8 injector.

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Not knowing the specifics of the tests they did makes it impossible to know anything.

But knowing just how tough these motors are, Ill always error on the side if an injector or harness related issue WAY before a compression issue.

And even if it is a compression issue it may be as simple as a burned valve.

At worst, its a busted ring and scored cylinder.

Wish you were closer, Id be more than happy to help dig into it for you.

But if you dont feel capable or have any buddies that do, get ready for a sticker shock for repairs.

Not cheap to pull these motors.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I'm currently in Ashville, NC.
If I had more $ and felt secure in driving far, I'd probably take you up on your offer.

I agree with the thoughts of some weird electrical problem, but no one's computers are able to pin point. But yet have some sort of ' thing' going on.

Oil smoke, smell of raw fuel, studdering when cold acceleration, miss at idle.
All this still after replacing the #8 injector.

Thanks for all the help & advice. I apologize for the abruptness of my tone... kinda hard to be cheery at the moment.

Last edited:

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I am not very familiar with PSD engines. However those kind of symptoms are not something I would continue to drive with except in extreme circumstances. An overfueling injector can melt pistons in short order. Hydrolocking the engine, or oil contamination are also possibilities depending on the fault.

My 2 cents at least. Sorry for your troubles.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I have minimized the amount of driving but since it my only vehicle, it's tough...
I'm aware of all the risks of driving, but at this point... it's just a tow back to my job.

I'm pretty sure that I will put a motor in, but was thinking of an off the shelf... like jasper or something similar.
I also have the idea of having/finding a slightly upgraded motor for some HP gains and durability. If it's not too much more.

Taking suggestions please!

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I have minimized the amount of driving but since it my only vehicle, it's tough...
I'm aware of all the risks of driving, but at this point... it's just a tow back to my job.

I'm pretty sure that I will put a motor in, but was thinking of an off the shelf... like jasper or something similar.
I also have the idea of having/finding a slightly upgraded motor for some HP gains and durability. If it's not too much more.

Taking suggestions please!

You're only a hop n a skip from Ujoint at the moment arent you? He's not too far from asheville I thought. I'd give Chris a call and ask who his Powerstroke guru is before I wrote off the engine you've got. Shoot, if it's just a wonky injector harness or something I'd hate to dump the whole thing. Certainly cheaper than a reman or rebuild.

I'm in Ohio and I've towed my junk all the way to Georgia to Powerstroke Help, more than once, because I couldnt find a diesel tech in these parts I thought could find his arsehole with a funnel. They done 3 trucks for me so far and done a bang-up job each time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior