sunnybean's M416 build

johnspark

Ramblin Man
Very well done. We've really enjoyed ours. Get out there and share your adventures. Welcome to the trailer club! Nice FJ too!

sunnybean

Observer
Thanks johnspark!

We got out yesterday for a quick overnighter. Took it up a fairly tame but rocky road and 30 or so miles of washboard roads. Everything worked well. I need to get a better system down for a few items but that will come with time. The first thing towards the organization end was to but some bins to keep everything in its place.

Overall we're very happy!

sunnybean

Observer
Great work! i like the results and glad to see you enjoying it. One question, why did you opt to bolt on the tongue?

Thank you.

I was unsure if what I had built would suit my needs and didn't want to have to cut it off in case I got it wrong. Mainly I was unsure of the length. It is long but with the cooler and cans on and a swing out door I think it's going to work. It is a little longer than I'm used to as far as backing is concerned but I'll learn its quirks.

pierceg

Thank you!

The straps hinges are from Northern Tool. They are the shorter of the two versions. I also purchased the steal bushings for them (come with plastic) from someplace else (the name of which escapes me...some lawn mower place).

Sure would like to know the place where you got the bushings from. The cheasy plastic ones break in no time.
But anyway your trailer looks great. The bins fit in nicely.
Great job.

sunnybean

Observer
Sure would like to know the place where you got the bushings from. The cheasy plastic ones break in no time.
But anyway your trailer looks great. The bins fit in nicely.
Great job.

Thanks. We're planning on taking it out again this weekend. The 'Action Packer' bins fit very well. Not shown in that photo are two more of the smallest size that fit perfectly behind the 24 gal ones to hold everything tightly.

I searched my inbox and found the metal hinge bushings that go with the Northern Tool strap hinges. Here you go...

https://www.rcpw.com/truck-accessories/hinge-bushings/3008647.html

rustED

Adventurer
Thank you!

The straps hinges are from Northern Tool. They are the shorter of the two versions. I also purchased the steal bushings for them (come with plastic) from someplace else (the name of which escapes me...some lawn mower place).

Thanks. We're planning on taking it out again this weekend. The 'Action Packer' bins fit very well. Not shown in that photo are two more of the smallest size that fit perfectly behind the 24 gal ones to hold everything tightly.

I searched my inbox and found the metal hinge bushings that go with the Northern Tool strap hinges. Here you go...

Thanks for the info on where to get the hinge and the bushings, I'm definately going to use these on my build!

pierceg

Nice, thank you for that info. My M416 should be done today for this years use. Minus the bushings. Ill get those ordered ASAP. Might even hafe to pick up some action packer tubs.

Thanks for the info.

sunnybean

Observer
In anticipation of a busy 4th of July I spent the weekend working on the trailer. The gas strut mounts that I had originally used bent quickly. So, I made some new ones out of 1/8".

I also modified the propane mount to use a hinge and mounted it to the rear step.

And finally, I enlisted the help of my wife to cut up a queen sized flat sheet to make a fitted sheet. Super happy with it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles