sunnybean's M416 build

sunnybean

Observer
Today I got the crossmembers added to the lid and all the remainding grinding done.

Tomorrow I hope to pull the tub off again and work on the new tongue.

Last edited:

sunnybean

Observer
Got the tongue built today but this migraine kicked my butt before I had a chance to weld it to the frame.

Last edited:

sunnybean

Observer
More progress this weekend. I forgot to snap photos of the crossmember that was welded to the frame to support/mount the Bal-C jacks. I also decided to mount the RTT flush to the lid so I welded two more 1"x2" crossmembers to the frame of the lid. I then skinned the lid.

I went too fast and warped the lid into a bowl. So, today I tried my best to heat it up and bent it straight. It's not perfect but should provide and decent enough seal.

Next is to build some side steps and get the new tongue welded on.

pierceg

Very nice job. Fixing to start on my own m416. Luckily mine is in great shape. No cutting and welding yet. It does need a hitch however. So that's what I will be starting on as soon as I get the parts.

sunnybean

Observer
Barely nicked me but I could feel something under the skin at the knuckle. Not wanting to chance my dexterity I went to the doctor. After seeing how the doc hacked on my finger I left wishing I had never gone in. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I just hope there is no infection as the doc did not prescribe anything.

DSwafford

Observer
Nice build sir. I also have a Stevens m416 from 1967 that is going through a rebuild. I choose to cut in the tailgate similar to flashholes design, and then braced the heck out of it. I started on my lid, and then plan to send it to the blaster for final prep before paint. I will post pictures someday when I figure out how to start my own thread.

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Nice build sir. I also have a Stevens m416 from 1967 that is going through a rebuild. I choose to cut in the tailgate similar to flashholes design, and then braced the heck out of it. I started on my lid, and then plan to send it to the blaster for final prep before paint. I will post pictures someday when I figure out how to start my own thread.

If I can figure out a thread anyone can. Give it a try!!!!

sunnybean

Observer
So after the grinder to the finger and a month of sickness I've picked this project back up again.

Got the hinges and handle welded on...

I also got the gas struts placed and drilled. I'm off a little on my lid so I had to build a shim so the there was no contact between the lid and the struts.

Since I scrapped the idea of a tailgate I figured I better build some steps to help get the heavier items in/out of the tub.

I still need to build the rear steps and then get them mounted and skinned. I've also decided I want to carry my cooler and water cans on a rack, in front of the tub on the tongue. So, I'll now be building another tongue and a rack for said cooler and cans.

Getting there...maybe.

GI_Jeepin"

wander looking to get lost
But now I'm starting to think I could add a receiver to the rear and have a table that could be supported with the receiver. Any thoughts on this from the audience?

Hey I just recently did this to my M416. I purchased two 2" I.D. receiver tubes from Northern Tool and welded them into my frame. I have one on each side just in front of the fender and one in the rear.
20160318_162954.jpg
20160318_162814.jpg

I then welded a couple of scrap pieces of 2" O.D. square tube I had to fit in any one of three locations
20160318_162937.jpg

Then mounted a 3/4" X 24" X 68" piece of wood I got from Lowes.
20160318_162837.jpg

There are no table legs to trip over in the middle of the night. HOWEVER - the perfect height for sitting is also crotch height so round of them corners!!!
When I get my lid built I will mount the wood to the inside bottom of the lid.

sunnybean

Observer
Hey I just recently did this to my M416. I purchased two 2" I.D. receiver tubes from Northern Tool and welded them into my frame. I have one on each side just in front of the fender and one in the rear.
View attachment 338236
View attachment 338237

I then welded a couple of scrap pieces of 2" O.D. square tube I had to fit in any one of three locations
View attachment 338238

Then mounted a 3/4" X 24" X 68" piece of wood I got from Lowes.
View attachment 338239

There are no table legs to trip over in the middle of the night. HOWEVER - the perfect height for sitting is also crotch height so round of them corners!!!
When I get my lid built I will mount the wood to the inside bottom of the lid.

Cool! My plan is to build a table that will hang off the rear of the tub using 1" square tubing. I hope to store the table in the same manner as you do, on the inside of the lid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles