Sumo spring for truck with campers

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
I've been running sumo springs on my Jeep JKU for several years...my Jeep is heavy and the Sumo's have been a god send. As a poor man's air/hydraulic speed bumps, they soften the hard jarring/g-outs while traveling at speed. While crawling/low speed use, I find the additional spring rate to be a little too high. However, the trade-off for higher speed performance is well worth it.

When I've loaded it a lil heavy (using it as a hauler for my home reno or for the beginning of a lengthy trip), the sumosprings do a nice job of assisting the main springs from time to time. It is obvious when they kick in/are engaged.

I would NOT want to ride on them full time - few if any of the installations I've seen (or on my ride) permit sufficient suspension travel for overland use. The ride is too jarring and I'd be worried about bending an axle, flange or worse...

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

rruff

Explorer
I've put Sumo Springs on the Tundra this spring when the new camper went in.
Price, easy install and no maintenance were the draw.
I've been happy. They don't ride hard at all. Keep the rear level and offer some control in corners.
Interesting, could you provide more details? Any other suspension upgrades, weight of the load, offroad use, etc?

I plan on having a 4 Wheel Camper on my Tundra part time, it seems like either of these may work for me. I am concerned that the vehicle will ride rough without out the camper. Truck is currently stock , but will have a mild(1.5 - 2”)BP51 lift in the near future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles