Sumo spring for truck with campers

cwu

I know most people with truck campers have installed airbags on the truck with campers. But anyone here have installed Sumo spring on their truck with campers? if so how do they compare with airbags?

schmugboy

Observer
I'm interested in this also. I've researched Sumo Springs and Timbrens. The sumo springs are not made for the age of my vehicle, but the Timbrens could work. On some of the truck specific forums you'll read reports from most that think they (sumo or timbren) are superior to air bags. Mostly due to simplicity and perceived reliability. This may not help you, so hopefully some more knowledgeable people will chime in.

Timbren

Supporting Sponsor
I know most people with truck campers have installed airbags on the truck with campers. But anyone here have installed Sumo spring on their truck with campers? if so how do they compare with airbags?

We have our SES system designed to keep your truck level while towing as well as give you a smooth comfortable ride. The biggest difference from airbags is that it is maintenance free and doesn't require anything more than a wrench to install. Here is a link to check out our system - Timbren SES
If you have any questions let us know!

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
I've looked at them to replace the 'bump stops' on the front of my C4500. I don't need more 'load capacity', but just a progressive bump stop would certainly help the ride. Both Timbren and Sumo only list their relative products for the 2x4 trucks, not 4x4 like mine, so more research is need on my end. I'd like some more feedback on the Sumos as while I've seen tons of great reviews of Timbren bumps stops (on-line and from friends) the Sumo have an appeal of being 1/2 the price of the Timbren ($199* -SSF-281-47 vs. $415* - GMFTK) *online good guy prices, not list prices

Last edited:

richxd87

Observer
I just purchased a set of Sumosprings Rebel blue for my Ram 2500 PW with Hallmark pop up. Will report back in a couple weeks. They will be replacing a set of Firestone airbags, love the adjustability but trying to address some porposing and the sway a little bit more. I already have the Hellwig BigWig sway bar so hopefully these will be a positive addition. I reached out to MellowMike at TruckCamperAdventuture who installed them recently and he said he will have a review out on Labor Day.

schmugboy

Observer
Not sure if the review is "unbiased" but on the site Truckcamper adventure I just found a review for SumoSprings. As I mentioned before they don't list a product for my vintage of truck, so I'll probably go with Timbrens when I have the time and cash.

I do have one question for the Timbren rep that replied above, I've read some forum posts that the SES can be quite jarring when the bumpstop is not fully engaged, for instance when driving with an unloaded truck bed or if you don't get the gap measurement right and your loaded truck bed enounters a sharp bump at speed.
My issues with my setup is the truck camper just engages the top overload leaf, has a tendancy to sway side to side when off-road and mild porposising when driving on road at speed, can the timbren system mitigate some or all of this, or is my tired old truck due for a whole new suspension system.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
We have our SES system designed to keep your truck level while towing as well as give you a smooth comfortable ride. The biggest difference from airbags is that it is maintenance free and doesn't require anything more than a wrench to install. Here is a link to check out our system - Timbren SES
If you have any questions let us know!
I've got a 2500 Ram 4x4 with Carli Long Travel airbags. The bags are about 10 yrs old now and showing their age. I'm getting some chafing. I still get more sway then I'd like with my 2300# Northstar popup. I have the stock Hellwig Swaybar. The rear is about 1.5-2.0" higher than stock. Will your severe duty system work with this mild lift? The camper stays on 24/7. I would imagine the Timbrens would have to come off unladen but it's a simple job.

poorhouse

I've put Sumo Springs on the Tundra this spring when the new camper went in.
Price, easy install and no maintenance were the draw.
I've been happy. They don't ride hard at all. Keep the rear level and offer some control in corners.

Timbren

Supporting Sponsor
Not sure if the review is "unbiased" but on the site Truckcamper adventure I just found a review for SumoSprings. As I mentioned before they don't list a product for my vintage of truck, so I'll probably go with Timbrens when I have the time and cash.

I do have one question for the Timbren rep that replied above, I've read some forum posts that the SES can be quite jarring when the bumpstop is not fully engaged, for instance when driving with an unloaded truck bed or if you don't get the gap measurement right and your loaded truck bed enounters a sharp bump at speed.
My issues with my setup is the truck camper just engages the top overload leaf, has a tendancy to sway side to side when off-road and mild porposising when driving on road at speed, can the timbren system mitigate some or all of this, or is my tired old truck due for a whole new suspension system.

There have been times where we have heard about the jarring you are referring to above. We have come to find that a number of factors could play a role in this like the suspension they are using, is it lifted, was it installed properly, etc. These cases are far and few between so it leaves us extremely confident in our products and their abilities to handle anything you throw at them.

For your specific issues our system would absolutely help with the swaying and porpoising while on and off-road. You will be able to maintain a level truck, get a smoother ride when towing, and most importantly make sure everything is safely where it needs to be. Now I do not know how old your suspension is but if our system mitigates some or all it's a more cost effective way to it! Hope this helps you and if you have any other questions please feel free to reach out.

Timbren

Supporting Sponsor
I've got a 2500 Ram 4x4 with Carli Long Travel airbags. The bags are about 10 yrs old now and showing their age. I'm getting some chafing. I still get more sway then I'd like with my 2300# Northstar popup. I have the stock Hellwig Swaybar. The rear is about 1.5-2.0" higher than stock. Will your severe duty system work with this mild lift? The camper stays on 24/7. I would imagine the Timbrens would have to come off unladen but it's a simple job.

The Timbren SES system is designed to remain on the vehicle at all times whether the rear is loaded or not loaded. Our system will work with the lifted rear you referenced as well as mitigating or eliminating the sway you are experiencing with your popup trailer. This system can replace your bags and can last beyond the ten years you have seen with your current airbag setup! If you have any other questions please feel free to reach out to us.

fatkins

I'm running a carli 2.5 pintop suspension, with sumosprings replacing the bumpstop, helwig hd swaybar and deaver full leaf pack on f250 with popup camper. 20200728_114221.jpgSofter ride than previous oem with supersprings

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
The Timbren SES system is designed to remain on the vehicle at all times whether the rear is loaded or not loaded. Our system will work with the lifted rear you referenced as well as mitigating or eliminating the sway you are experiencing with your popup trailer. This system can replace your bags and can last beyond the ten years you have seen with your current airbag setup! If you have any other questions please feel free to reach out to us.
Thank you. I carry a popup camper on my back 24/7.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I'm running a carli 2.5 pintop suspension, with sumosprings replacing the bumpstop, helwig hd swaybar and deaver full leaf pack on f250 with popup camper. View attachment 610766Softer ride than previous oem with supersprings
So that bottom stack of springs is now history? That's a lot of springs for a popup although they can be nearly as heavy as a hardsided camper.

fatkins

So that bottom stack of springs is now history? That's a lot of springs for a popup although they can be nearly as heavy as a hardsided camper.
Yes, the oem/superspings combo replaced by the Deavers progressive springs, that were custom built to handle weight of the f250 with popup camper.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Yes, the oem/superspings combo replaced by the Deavers progressive springs, that were custom built to handle weight of the f250 with popup camper.
I've been up to their shop. I was salivating. They started out doing covered wagons and buggy's. Good deal bud! Did they do the install?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online