Summitbeerowl's 93 Toyota Truck Build

dcwn.45

Observer
Putting the tracks on will spread the load better on your shell
Yakima stuff is pretty good in my experience, but I'd worry about putting too much pressure on the 4 points of the basket without rails to distribute the weight accross the shell.

Summitbeerowl

Adventurer
Putting the tracks on will spread the load better on your shell
Yakima stuff is pretty good in my experience, but I'd worry about putting too much pressure on the 4 points of the basket without rails to distribute the weight accross the shell.

Thanks. That's what I was thinking too. If using the tracks I'm then thinking I could use multiple connections from basket to track. Just concerned about the 48" from side to side of the basket being strong enough.

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
I appreciate your offer but I think the Megawarrior would probably be a better fit.
I can see the block idea working.
Although using the track I would think bolting it on shouldn't be too difficult.
I am concerned if the rack is strong enough without the rails under it???

The rack should be plenty strong enough. As mentioned, I would also try to spread the load across the shell.

Shradicalwyo

Adventurer
If you're not wanting to use the tracks, I went this route with the rack on my topper.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Exterior...d1eHwn3YMzVKeSop8RtXD3p0Xx0yzSZQrUaAidb8P8HAQ

Just had to drill 8 holes, then seal them up and they've held up perfect for 4 years, I check the bolts every few months but I've never had any come loose. It's a harder to find style since it's older than the track system. (I got lucky and found the towers for $10 at a used sports store) I mainly just haul boats or a Yakima box up there, but I've never had any problems. Yakima and Thule both make towers that can use this system.

duckhunter71

Adventurer
You sold it!? I’ve been MIA, but this is heartbreaking! You definitely need another one. I just picked up a Nissan project after selling my 3rd gen 4Runner project in February, but plan to pick another Toyota up once I’ve moved on from this one.

Summitbeerowl

Adventurer
Thanks duck. It kind of was heart breaking. Ended up buying a camper and so bought a new f150. Pulls like it's not even there but it sure is no Toyota. There's just something about them that unless you have owned one you can't understand.
And for some reason the Tundra just wasn't it.
Someday I may just have to buy a Tacoma and do another project. Funny how easy it is to throw 33s on a Toy and it is so balanced looking and yet 33s just fit on a f 150 with a 2+ lift. But doesn't give you that same stance and look.

duckhunter71

Adventurer
You are right. I have 33.5” tires on my leveled F150 and they look small at times. I love my F150, however and have not had any interest in the Tundras either. Did you get an EcoBoost truck? I have the 3.5L and it’s a rocket!

Thanks duck. It kind of was heart breaking. Ended up buying a camper and so bought a new f150. Pulls like it's not even there but it sure is no Toyota. There's just something about them that unless you have owned one you can't understand.
And for some reason the Tundra just wasn't it.
Someday I may just have to buy a Tacoma and do another project. Funny how easy it is to throw 33s on a Toy and it is so balanced looking and yet 33s just fit on a f 150 with a 2+ lift. But doesn't give you that same stance and look.

Summitbeerowl

Adventurer
I agree. I too have the 3.5 and am very happy with it. 2018 magnetic. Max tow. Huge sun roof. Milage seems really good. Just put raptor like lights in the front grill. I really like the look.
The tires need to go. Not good on ice at all. But for towing down the highway they are great.
How do you like your leveled truck. I really like the look but haven't done it yet. Mainly because I see pics of it hooked up to my camper and it sets perfectly level. Thinking if I lift the front 2" I could maybe lift the rear 1.5".
Are you on the F150 forum?

duckhunter71

Adventurer
I agree. I too have the 3.5 and am very happy with it. 2018 magnetic. Max tow. Huge sun roof. Milage seems really good. Just put raptor like lights in the front grill. I really like the look.
The tires need to go. Not good on ice at all. But for towing down the highway they are great.
How do you like your leveled truck. I really like the look but haven't done it yet. Mainly because I see pics of it hooked up to my camper and it sets perfectly level. Thinking if I lift the front 2" I could maybe lift the rear 1.5".
Are you on the F150 forum?

I am a member on one of them, but I haven’t logged in to it in years. Your truck sounds a lot like mine. I have a 2” level up front and it sits just right with a little bit of rake remaining. I have 285/60-20 Toyo Open Country AT2s on it which really changes how it looks and feels.

019DB1D2-5F3D-4FE9-8604-33A28936FD4E.jpeg03EB86C0-6E7A-49F9-9E80-DC8930DF168E.jpeg

Last edited:

Summitbeerowl

Adventurer
Looks just like it. Except I’m running on 18s.
I removed the 4x4 stickers on the back along with the dealer decal on the endgte. Just tried to clean it up a bit. Access tonneau cover on the bed and Husky mat in the bed. Also went ahead and added the lockable hooks inside. Needed more tie down areas.
37C14C15-B419-41C5-987E-148B717AA656.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles