Summertime MAZE District and Mountains of Southern Utah.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Thanks for the trip report, this is definitely on "the list."

Not to butt in here, but it's too remote for my comfort level, and I am known to travel solo fairly often.
Thanks. Definitely worth a visit! I think in the middle of winter it would be absolutely killer and empty too. This trip was great, but I wonder if I'd find it as exciting in the spring and fall when the campsites are all full.

meatblanket

Adventurer
Thanks for the trip report, this is definitely on "the list."

Not to butt in here, but it's too remote for my comfort level, and I am known to travel solo fairly often.

Go for it. Bring water, a simple tool kit, etc. The roads there are patrolled by NPS (in a Jeep Rubicon, btw) and there is cell phone service (Verizon) in many areas including the Doll House.

AzTacoma

Adventurer
Yes, it seems with the sporadic cell service and patrols by the NPS (along with the popularity of visitors) that it may not be so risky as I once thought. Still, without a SPOT, HAM, or Sat phone, I'm a little iffy.

DVD

Adventurer
Wow, great report. I'm digging into the forum more as I plan an early Sept. trip to SE Utah. This certainly whets the appetite! Thanks.

jackkent

So thankful of you for sharing these beautiful photos. Great captures you got in there. I just love those 'Giant Rocks'. Awesome photos! :Wow1: I am loving the place and your photos are to be blame of it. ha ha ha. By the way, what kind of camera are you using when taking these lovely pictures?

SOAZ

So thankful of you for sharing these beautiful photos. Great captures you got in there. I just love those 'Giant Rocks'. Awesome photos! :Wow1: I am loving the place and your photos are to be blame of it. ha ha ha. By the way, what kind of camera are you using when taking these lovely pictures?

Thanks, it's just a little Canon S110 that I take in manual mode to adjust the settings a lot of the time, but otherwise some of them are just in good old Auto mode.

jackkent

Thanks for sharing this wonderful moment you had. This is such an awesome report. I love these pictures very much. I will definitely check those spots someday. Mountain climbing is my hobby, i do it with my friends . I know climbing is a risky hobby but I just want to ask if it's safe to climb in that spot or can you at least give any suggestion on what part of that place is safe?

SOAZ

Thanks for sharing this wonderful moment you had. This is such an awesome report. I love these pictures very much. I will definitely check those spots someday. Mountain climbing is my hobby, i do it with my friends . I know climbing is a risky hobby but I just want to ask if it's safe to climb in that spot or can you at least give any suggestion on what part of that place is safe?

Jack,
It's all safe as long as you don't fall! :ylsmoke:
Southern Utah is so vast that there is really no way to say that one area is safe and another is not. It's all completely remote, meaning that if you had an issue and started driving as fast as possible you wouldn't be at a full service hospital inside of 4 hours. With that in mind and that you'd be visiting from another country it's more than worth having a local guides show you where to go for the best things pertaining to what you want to see and do.
Here are a couple and there are many more out there:
http://redrockadventureguides.com/
http://www.seldomseenadventures.net/tag/southern-utah-canyoneering-guides/

mph

Expedition Leader
Southern Utah is remote...However, I remember a time when I was in the Maze and heard a loud noise descending down on us in the Dollhouse. I looked outside and say a helicopter landing. The heli picked up an injured hiker and headed to Grand Junction. Granted, there was perfect cell phone coverage up high on the mesa tops. 911 did work...

jackkent

Really, that was a wonderful capture it makes me want to go to that place when I saw your photo. I envy this adventure you have. Are you not having a hard time on your way to the giant rocks?

DVD

Adventurer
Hi, I'll be following in many of the same places in a Sept trip. We'll be spending a few days in the Maze and then a few days at Cedar Mesa.
I'm new to HAM (actually my wife has the license). I'm looking to preset the repeater(s) in the area. Do you happen to have specifics about the HAM reception you had in the area? Much appreciated if you could provide the specifics. Thanks,

SOAZ

Hi, I'll be following in many of the same places in a Sept trip. We'll be spending a few days in the Maze and then a few days at Cedar Mesa.
I'm new to HAM (actually my wife has the license). I'm looking to preset the repeater(s) in the area. Do you happen to have specifics about the HAM reception you had in the area? Much appreciated if you could provide the specifics. Thanks,
Dirk,
I would print this page out. I had half of my radio tuned to the Sinbad repeater network, but more specifically the Mt. Ellen repeater. It worked in all, but the deepest canyons within the Maze. The other half of the radio I had scanning and picked up local sheriff and EMS channels just to see what was going on around the area. With a good HAM set up this area becomes a lot less remote. Little to no Verizon signal in the Maze from what I saw.
Mt Ellen:
http://www.sdarc.us/repeaters/mt-ellen.html

Other options in the area:
http://www.sdarc.us/repeaters.html

James86004

Expedition Leader
Dirk, thanks for asking the question I was going to ask. It is good to hear there is decent repeater coverage out there. We are thinking of heading there in October.

The last time we were in the Maze was back in the days of our analog bag cell phone. I remember not being able to get a single FM radio station but we had a good signal on that bag phone. We didn't actually try to use it since it cost a dollar a minute.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles