Summer Weight, Long Sleeved Shirt

Mashurst

Adventurer
I was not blessed with much in the way of skin pigment and I am finding that the summer sun is increasing uncomfortable on my skin as I age. Wearing sun screen results in feeling greasy all the time. Even with a nightly camp shower it's hard to get off and seems to attract dust and add to the feeling of being sweaty. On multi-day trips this effect builds day to day. I have sometimes worn a loose long sleeved tee with modest successes but this does not cover my neck and does not have good ventilation around the neck.

So, what I'm looking for is a reasonably priced, light weight, wicking, cool, long sleeved, collared, shirt. I have in mind one of the style that would go with a pith helmet but I'm open to others. The price would have to less than say $40 to make it reasonable to own enough for a fresh one each day.

Anyone wear a shirt like this in the summer? What do you suggest?

Thanks for the help.

Accrete

Explorer
i have had success shopping places like sportsman's warehouse and cabelas after the seasonal hunting seasons are over getting nice vented LSS (similar to the columbia shirts mentioned in post #2 which i also have and enjoy). Shopping after season specials i get shirts like the "Russell Outdoors" model 0407 for ~40cents on the dollar (~$20). The can get wet in the river and are dry in less than 30 minutes. I actually wear them year round and have not used sun screen in nearly a decade.

RttH

www.Railriders.com and www.exofficio.com make exactly what your looking for. Yes they are more expensive but I have been wearing mine for years (10+) and they still look new. When camping or traveling I just take a few and wash them by hand, they dry quicker than my cotton clothes do in the dryer. Watch for sales or ebay as you can get these brands at cheaper prices.

Ramjet

Explorer
All of the above are great selections, and you can find most on sale due to the increase in the extremely hot weather overtaking the South. Good luck. There are plenty of choices. Just go with the one that fits the best and makes you feel comfortable.

haven

Expedition Leader
x2 for Ex Officio. Their Air Strip Lite long sleeve shirt is a classic for sun and insect protection. Remember to check the manufacturer's rating for UVA and UVB screening.

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
I've picked up several long sleeve shirts from various manufacturers intended for fisherman. They are made of a synthetic that wicks moisture and all have vents that can be opened. All have been picked up off the clearance rack.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
X2 on the long-sleeved fishing shirts. I have several that I bought at Sams Club for about $25 / ea.

I wore one to 'girl scout day at the ball park' a couple of months ago. Sitting in the sun with my long sleeves and big hat I was fine, but when I moved to the shaded seats I rolled up my sleeves and took off my hat. Ended up with burnt forearms and head. Even got blisters on my forehead. While sitting in the shade. Sucks being an easy burner.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I just picked up another long sleeved fishing shirt at Sams Club. The price is $19.99 plus tax.

ThomD

Explorer
I like the ExOfficio stuff, but it looks like a tent on me. At 5'8" and 148 lbs, I'm solidly in "slim fit" land. Does anyone of similar build have recommendations for something that fits properly?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles