Suitcase for airline travel?

87seph

Hey all,

Any suggestions for a reliable carry-on suitcase for use when flying around the US? I need something that will last weekly travel.

Thanks,
-Mike

702krawler

Adventurer
I have, and regularly use, a Travelpro Crew 9 22" carry-on. Held up well so far, and properly sized to fit in overhead bins. Even has a garment bag feature. So far no complaints. I got it off Amazon for $185. So far, I'm quite happy with it.

gophere

Adventurer
Pelican 1510 or a Red Ox. Pelican is cheaper and heavier but it's a pelican. Red Ox is bomb proof and built for travel.

vabluefish

Observer
Ive got this guy. Rimowa Salsa Air. The big size, but they have multiple sizes down to carry-on. Had it for two or three years now. Been through Comm air and Mil air, taxis, etc. No issues at all. So light it allows for more weight towards its contents.
http://www.rimowa.com/en-us/salsa-air-mini-multiwheel-20l-ice-blue-carry-on-luggage/820.42.78.4

01.png

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Roller or Carry? Business (I'm guessing) or Adventure Travel?

For business carry, look at the RedOxx Air Boss. For a travel/adventure backpack, either the RedOxx SkyTrain or the Tortuga Travel Backpack.

For a roller? See above, I don't have enough experience to comment. When I travel, I can seldom get away with a roller, either due to locations where a clean/smooth road/sidewalk isn't guaranteed, or because I need the agility of a backpack.

zelatore

Explorer
My wife flies 2-6 flights every week. About 5 years ago I got her and Eagle Creek carry-on and it's still going strong. It came highly recommended and after years of abuse by a constant traveler it's had no issues. Not a torn seam or failed zipper or bad wheel or broken handle, etc - no problems at all. She can go a week in in fine; after that she usually has to move up to something bigger that has to be checked, but that's largely due to the nature of her work where she may need both field clothes and office clothes in the same trip. (and with women, that means shoes, and shoes=space)

I don't think they make the exact model she has any more, but one of these should get you there:
http://shop.eaglecreek.com/lightweight-carry-on/l/111

I would never go with a hard sided bag for a carry on. Might be OK for checked bags, but no good when you're trying to stuff it into that last space in the overhead bin. Plus they just weigh more and are more awkward to deal with.

TravelPro also came highly recommended by a flight attendant friend/family member but I haven't personally used their stuff.

jdillard

Observer
When I was traveling more, I quickly learned the advantage of a backpack style carry on. Beats wheeled luggage by a mile. I have an older Patagonia MLC bag which I wouldn't trade for anything - the new ones have lost their shoulder straps, which is a crime. For checked luggage, hard sided wheeled is probably better, but I don't like to have more than one wheeled piece with me - way to much trouble to negotiate two through an airport.

Last edited:

cruiserpilot

Adventurer
Eagle Creek or Dakine luggage is light weight, life time warranty. The strong arm luggage suggested by the airline pilot is heavier to carry. Make sure you
check the length of the handle, some can be shorter, so if you are 6' + you want to make sure of that.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
When I was traveling more, I quickly learned the advantage of a backpack style carry on. Beats wheeled luggage by a mile. I have an older Patagonia MLC bag which I wouldn't trade for anything - the new ones have lost their shoulder straps, which is a crime. For checked luggage, hard sided wheeled is probably better, but I don't like to have more than one wheeled piece with me - way to much trouble to negotiate two through an airport.

I am a frequent flyer and carry the MLC bag as well...I use a roller computer bag and just put the MLC on that and go....for my travels the soft sides bag is great because it goes in places that roller bags will not...and in today's airplanes overhead space is valuable.

zelatore

Explorer
I am a frequent flyer and carry the MLC bag as well...I use a roller computer bag and just put the MLC on that and go....for my travels the soft sides bag is great because it goes in places that roller bags will not...and in today's airplanes overhead space is valuable.

This is exactly how my wife travels, just backwards. She pops out the handle on her roller and chucks her computer bag on top. One hand for both, then she has a small courier bag style purse for her phone and personal crap. She's basically a professional traveler due to the nature of her job, and she'd got the system down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94