Suitable trailer for small travel trailer build

VicHanson

Adventurer
Hi, i was very active on here about 10 years ago when I built my custom camper. I put a Shadow Cruiser truck camper on an Isuzu NPR flatbed. There is a complete build history in the Isuzu/Japanese truck forum. It has served me well and have been living and traveling in it for over 9 years now. But as I'm getting older I'm thinking of downsizing and going to a small SUV and trailer setup. I'm planning on buying a used Honda CRV, specifically a 2nd generation one (2002-2006) and have seen numerous ones available at a decent price. The towing capacity is only 1500 lbs. so will be quite limited. I used to have a 16' Scamp but the prices on used Scamps or Casitas are crazy now so am hoping to realize a long time dream of building my own. I'm looking at an aluminum 5'x8' trailer from Northern Tool which looks like it would be perfect. It has a 1715 lb load capacity and only weighs 186 lbs. My biggest concern is that the specs say it is supposed to be limited to 45 mph, which isn't practical or acceptable. I normally only drive 55 with my camper now and that would be my plan with the trailer as well. Have any of you encountered this situation? I can't imagine that 55 would be a big problem but don't know. It has 12" tires. Is it possible to switch to 13" wheels and put higher speed rated tires on it to solve the problem? I would like to do that anyway just to have better tire choices in case of trouble on the road. Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Vic

Here is a link to the trailer:

billiebob

I would not go that route. It will either break down stranding you or break and kill someone.

So many people on these forums over load all the time. But you just need to be involved in one fatality....
even if it is not your fault, when they see you on a 60mph road, towing something rated for 45mph...
why take the risk. when the chips are down all the cops want is someone to charge.

Beyond the tires, wheels are the wheel bearings, how much impact from a pot hole will the axle, shackles take.
And, how many miles do you figure the builder is expecting it to cover in its lifetime.

As stated above, it is intended to take leaves to the dump. Not a camper cross the country.
They state you can add a deck. I know you figure to add much more but no where do the instructions say you can.

No matter what "upgrades" you make, the unit is rated for 45mph. You cannot change that without voiding the warranty and the "DOT requirements" it claims to meet. NB, anything which actually meets a DOT Regulation states the Regulation Number it meets..... and they are DOT Regulations, there is no such thing as a DOT requirement.

Last edited:

billiebob

Here is the 4rh ewview from the link you provided...

"I purchased this trailer for a teardrop build and after its first trip on paved roads the axle was noticeably bent and needed to be replaced. Just to be sure I weighed my trailer and it came in at 1340lbs, far below the 1715 lb load capacity. Considering the time and energy I put into building a high quality trailer there is no way I'm going to use this low quality frame again. I can't trust it and I'm not going to sell something I can't trust."

From some guy in California.

Teardropper

There have been a few builders over on www.tnttt.com use those trailers for teardrops.

For whatever reason, all online trailers have an odd speed limit and it's the cheap-ass tires they put on them. BTW, the smaller the tire, the faster the bearings spin at a given speed.

Sure, you can put bigger wheels on a given hub size but you'll have to do something with the fenders.

T

gatorgrizz27

I’ll be the dissenting voice about the cheap trailer kits. I bought one of the 1195 lb folding trailers from Harbor Freight roughly 10 years ago now, it is still going strong with zero problems. I used it at least several times every week up until 2 years ago for my motorcycle and carpentry businesses, and it still sees fairly regular use.

It has made several road trips from TX to FL loaded down at highway speeds, and has been overloaded quite a few times. It’s latest abuse was a full pallet of 3/4” plywood, with the tires inflated to 70 psi. They were a new set of tires as I wore the original ones out, but have never suffered a flat or bent axle, and I’m still running the original bearings.

The wiring is cheap and the fender brackets will break, I also welded my frame up to stiffen it some. I take the time to pack the bearings with quality grease regularly, make sure the tires are in good shape and properly inflated, and don’t drive it like a ************** when I’ve got some weight on it.

It was actually run over by a 3/4 ton Chevy about a year ago, I was slowing down in traffic and a guy ran up onto the back of it and off the side. It bent the frame but I still use it, I’m about to replace it with a custom 5x10 tilt trailer though.

Not saying everyone will have the same experience, but I’m extremely pleased with mine.

stomperxj

Explorer
You can buy a lot of steel for $800. FOr an extra couple hundred you could have a custom frame built I would bet. Or find a buddy with a welder and bring your steel and a 12 pack.

VicHanson

Adventurer
You can buy a lot of steel for $800. FOr an extra couple hundred you could have a custom frame built I would bet. Or find a buddy with a welder and bring your steel and a 12 pack.
I was looking at the aluminum one for the lighter weight, to help keep me under my 1500 lb weight limit.

VicHanson

Adventurer
So what trailers do people use to build their own small tear drop or other campers? I won't be building an adventure trailer for rugged or off road use. Gravel road, yes, but not the Rubicon Trail!

Teardropper

So what trailers do people use to build their own small tear drop or other campers? I won't be building an adventure trailer for rugged or off road use. Gravel road, yes, but not the Rubicon Trail!

Welding isn't a big mystery. Spend some time on Youtube. Hobart 140 welders aren't too expensive. Grab some scrap steel and start welding.

NlocEWY.jpg

Build you're own.

T

plh

Explorer
Curious as to when the 45 mph statement was applied. I have one of the HF 40" x 48" trailers (steel version) that I've had about 10 years. Don't recall it was advertised that way when I bought it. Its been drug along at 75 mph all over the place...

jwiereng

+1. Build your own.

I was able to get steel seconds. It was much cheaper. Somehow it did not meet at certain spec, maybe for some dimension, or wall thickness, or seam appearance etc.

These B graded tubes are still suitable for making trailers.

Might be more common if you live close to a city with big time steel manufacturing. I am 30 minutes from Hamilton.

billiebob

I started here.

trlr 013.jpeg

A Mirage 5x10 deck. $1100, 700#, I knew no one could build it better, lighter, stronger or cheaper.
To the guys who want to build their own... have at 'er but its like thinking you can build a Wrangler or Tacoma or ....... better than Jeep or Toyota or .... And I know my OSB BOX is not near the quality of a Hiker Trailer but even tho I could buy a Hiker for less than $10K and the quality of the Hiker is top notch.

No one does this...
IMG_1290.jpg

Storage for Wrangler doors so I can travel with the doors off yet have them with me for security or weather.

Hopefully that is what inspires the need to Just Do It !!
No one else does it and I, you, we have a better idea or a less expensive way to do it.

old_CWO

I believe towing any travel trailer behind a CRV would not be very fun, even a 13' Scamp or Casita. A teardrop or pop up might be better suited to the tow rig you are planning.

That being said if you are looking for a cheap and light small trailer base to build on, Carry-On trailers might have something you like. They are cheapie angle iron trailers that look as though welded and painted by drunken monkeys but are reasonably sturdy and affordable. Tractor Supply and Lowes are common retailers for the brand.

s.e.charles

I have recently been bitten by the vintage caravan bug. post ww II, the British were spearheading the industry with these 5cwt accommodations intended to be pulled by 10 or 12 horsepower Austins.

so, the short question I have to ask: Why can't we do the same 70 years later?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94