Suggestions for camping/cooking gear please

highwest

I also recently switched to a Plano Sportsman box and added the weatherstrip seal. It’s fantastic, coming from Rubbermaid Tough-whatever boxes, the seal is something else. I also moved my kitchen stuff to a Husky Connect rolling toolbox and attachable drawers, which has been very convenient.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
3 burner 60,000 btu Stansport; I got it off Amazon for under $100

Nordic griddle sits perfectly on it; Walmart for $20. Great fried rice with 60,000 btu's under it.

Cuisinart Frittata pan set; $20 at BJ's

For the utensils

All this, a cutting board, a tea kettle, and a Dutch oven does it all for us. @sroth - made ScottL for bigger parties.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
3 burner 60,000 btu Stansport; I got it off Amazon for under $100

Nordic griddle sits perfectly on it; Walmart for $20. Great fried rice with 60,000 btu's under it.

Cuisinart Frittata pan set; $20 at BJ's

For the utensils

All this, a cutting board, a tea kettle, and a Dutch oven does it all for us. @sroth - made ScottL for bigger parties.
Thank you I appreciate the ideas. I like that burner and utensil roll!

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
What kind of camp cooking are you doing? Do you or did you need everything in your old kit? Now might be the time to rethink your setup and look into small, lighter, more functional options?

I ask these questions because I've done the campbox, pelican case, aluminum case, kitchen sink, etc.....camp kitchen set-ups ( even bigger when cooking for my sons club events) and now I've downsized.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
What kind of camp cooking are you doing? Do you or did you need everything in your old kit? Now might be the time to rethink your setup and look into small, lighter, more functional options?

I ask these questions because I've done the campbox, pelican case, aluminum case, kitchen sink, etc.....camp kitchen set-ups ( even bigger when cooking for my sons club events) and now I've downsized.
Ah yes good questions.

When I go out with my friends and it's just me I usually bring a and Elk Steak and veggies for dinner, and bacon and eggs for breakfast. Usually don't eat lunch and have some various snacks if I do get hungry. I don't do big fancy meals. I have never not had something I need when it's just me. Last time we went out with some new to offroad/camping couples I did not have enough cups or plates. So when I got home I added those to my camp cooking bin and they haven't been used since.

I am going "camping" this weekend with my wife and 1 year old daughter at the beach camp site in San Diego where I might try something fancier. Or just order pizza or get get sushi or something since it's literally right across the 101.

I think my camp and cook situation will need to get bigger in the next few years as I am relatively young and more kids are coming/planned.

So IDK what to do lol.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
Ah yes good questions.

When I go out with my friends and it's just me I usually bring a and Elk Steak and veggies for dinner, and bacon and eggs for breakfast. Usually don't eat lunch and have some various snacks if I do get hungry. I don't do big fancy meals. I have never not had something I need when it's just me. Last time we went out with some new to offroad/camping couples I did not have enough cups or plates. So when I got home I added those to my camp cooking bin and they haven't been used since.

I am going "camping" this weekend with my wife and 1 year old daughter at the beach camp site in San Diego where I might try something fancier. Or just order pizza or get get sushi or something since it's literally right across the 101.

I think my camp and cook situation will need to get bigger in the next few years as I am relatively young and more kids are coming/planned.

So IDK what to do lol.
You must be going to San Elijo

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
After going "camping" this weekend. I put the " " on camping because where we were is right off Highway 101 in San Diego. It's very well known and right on the beach with homes and a shopping center across the 101...but it has campfires! Anyways, It occurred to me I didn't need anything that I was originally talking about. The kitchen stuff I have is fine. My Cooktop/stove is janky but works. I really don't need anything new in that area.

What I did need on this trip was power. We took our 1 year old and her noise machine battery wasn't fully charged (Dad's fault) so she woke up in the middle of the night and we had trouble getting her back to sleep. If you're a dad I'm sure you understand.

So, a little bit of research later, I used my $200 amazon gift card to buy a Jackery and a solar panel to charge it if needed. The Jackery itself was on sale on amazon so I got the Jackery 160 for just over $100 and the panel for $130 or so. This will be able to charge the noise machine and whatever other small electronics I have.

Also got some rechargeable small camp lights.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
After going "camping" this weekend. I put the " " on camping because where we were is right off Highway 101 in San Diego. It's very well known and right on the beach with homes and a shopping center across the 101...but it has campfires! Anyways, It occurred to me I didn't need anything that I was originally talking about. The kitchen stuff I have is fine. My Cooktop/stove is janky but works. I really don't need anything new in that area.

What I did need on this trip was power. We took our 1 year old and her noise machine battery wasn't fully charged (Dad's fault) so she woke up in the middle of the night and we had trouble getting her back to sleep. If you're a dad I'm sure you understand.

So, a little bit of research later, I used my $200 amazon gift card to buy a Jackery and a solar panel to charge it if needed. The Jackery itself was on sale on amazon so I got the Jackery 160 for just over $100 and the panel for $130 or so. This will be able to charge the noise machine and whatever other small electronics I have.

Also got some rechargeable small camp lights.
I get that. We have an app on our phones for white noise when we camp.

plh

Explorer
I down sized. All my kitchen gear (plates, bowls, cups, silverware, pot & pan etc for 4 people) fits in a medium HD Rigid box, I carry a single burner butane Gas One in the plastic box it came in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier