Suggestions for a 2008 Toyota 4Runner

jahalver0706

Just got a 2008 4Runner and am looking to make some upgrades to get it more trail ready. Currently all stock. Looking for suggestions for some budget minded upgrades that perform well. Need more clearance, articulation, power, and gear for going out in the wild for days to weeks.

Attachments

• 2008 4Runner.JPG
    2008 4Runner.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 45

bkg

Explorer
Just got a 2008 4Runner and am looking to make some upgrades to get it more trail ready. Currently all stock. Looking for suggestions for some budget minded upgrades that perform well. Need more clearance, articulation, power, and gear for going out in the wild for days to weeks.

bold and underlined are a bit of a contradiction...

Would recommend doing a lot of reading of builds here on Expo.

Kpack

Adventurer
Agree with bkg. 4Runner's are pretty capable stock. Adding all the other "necessary" stuff is not cheap....I know because I've done it. Read lots of build threads and try to figure out what your specific goals are. No sense in adding things that really don't help you reach your goals.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
My $0.02 is stock truck with sliders and decent tires results in a formidable vehicle. It's not that sliders are necessary but just having the rocker protection and that little bit of ability to touch without worrying goes a really long way in confidence. Plus having solid steps to get stuff on the roof, like bikes, is huge.

Otherwise that stuff we add is for convenience and meeting a need. Suspension is often needed to prevent sagging, which is a byproduct of growing soft as we age with a fridges and lots of junk. The important thing is to use your truck and go with other people, you'll see pretty quick what you need and what works.

Clutch

<---Pass
Buddy of mine just bought one with a V8. Plenty of power.

He and his wife are touring the whole summer. They also bought an older 1998 popup camper for only $2000. The V8 pulls it like it isn't even back there. While you can't really offload with it, but you can setup a basecamp and go exploring with the tow vehicle. Which is nice, compared to my Tacoma with an in bed camper setup. While mine is realitively quick to setup and tear down...still a pain if I want to run into town or whatnot.

Suspension was sagging, OME kit cured that. It was only $1000 (not cheap but not that spendy either). He mountain bikes, dirt bikes and hikes...so no real need to go nuts with the vehicle, mainly upgraded the suspension so it could handle the trailer better.

Funny thing we both were a little envious of each other's setup...

I was kinda digging' his popup trailer...two beds, lotsa room, able to standup out of the elements to cook to change in and out of clothes, decent amount of storage...good size table to eat at, play games, look at maps...fuss on the laptops. Packs up small...and not trying to fit everything and the kitchen sink in the vehicle alone.

Last edited:

mathers420

Observer
My $0.02 is stock truck with sliders and decent tires results in a formidable vehicle. It's not that sliders are necessary but just having the rocker protection and that little bit of ability to touch without worrying goes a really long way in confidence. Plus having solid steps to get stuff on the roof, like bikes, is huge.

Otherwise that stuff we add is for convenience and meeting a need. Suspension is often needed to prevent sagging, which is a byproduct of growing soft as we age with a fridges and lots of junk. The important thing is to use your truck and go with other people, you'll see pretty quick what you need and what works.

This.

Get some sliders, go exploring. Figure out what else you need based on that.

Dalko43

Explorer
This is one of the few times I'll recommend someone to preemptively buy some gear for their 4x4.

Look at getting a good, but mildly-lifted, suspension (OME would be a good bet). The 4th gen's are great platforms and very reliable. Their stock suspension doesn't give you a whole lot of wiggle room. It will still get you very far with careful driving. I've driven both the 4th gen's and 5th gen's quite extensively. The 4th gen benefits from a lift a whole lot as compared to the 5th gen.

Last edited:

ttfjc

weekend wheeler
This is one of the few times I'll recommend someone to preemptively buy some gear for their 4x4.

Look at getting a good, but mildly-lifted, suspension (OME would be a good bet). The 4th gen's are great platforms and very reliable. Their stock suspension doesn't give you a whole lot of wiggle room. It will still get you very far with careful driving. But I've driven both the 4th gen's and 5th gen's quite extensively. The 4th gen benefits from a lift a whole lot as compared to the 5th gen.

dalko43 is an expert you can rely on his opinion 100%

jahalver0706

Thanks all. This is super helpful. Suspension is the first thing on my list for sure. I was looking at Total Chaos Long Travel Kit. A bit more pricey. I am more an explorer than a crawler. I just want to be able to go everywhere and get stuck no where. Not sure if a LT Kit is overkill or not. Have seen the OME Kits as well. Also looking at the Bilstein 6112/5160 upgrade. Any thoughts? Just went up Slaughterhouse Gulch this weekend. It was Great! Can't wait to do more.

jahalver0706

At least I think that's what I want. I'm not really sure. I've always explored, but have inevitably been limited by the vehicle I was driving. Had a modified Ford Ranger Edge for a while there about 7 years ago until I blew out the engine. Did a solid axle Swap with an 8" lift, dana 44s front and rear. Damn thing was a beast. Have been wanting a 4Runner FOREVER. SO happy to have finally gotten one. Can't wait to see what they are capable of. Some insight on how much of a Suspension upgrade I need would be helpful. It would be fun to run the Rubicon Trail some day once I get it upgraded.

ttfjc

weekend wheeler
Would like to be able to run 35s and get at least 10" of wheel travel...
sell the 4runner. 35s will start to break everything.

Thanks all. This is super helpful. Suspension is the first thing on my list for sure. I was looking at Total Chaos Long Travel Kit. A bit more pricey. I am more an explorer than a crawler. I just want to be able to go everywhere and get stuck no where. Not sure if a LT Kit is overkill or not. Have seen the OME Kits as well. Also looking at the Bilstein 6112/5160 upgrade. Any thoughts? Just went up Slaughterhouse Gulch this weekend. It was Great! Can't wait to do more.
totaly over kill and cause more problems then are necessary. SAS if you must

At least I think that's what I want. I'm not really sure. I've always explored, but have inevitably been limited by the vehicle I was driving. Had a modified Ford Ranger Edge for a while there about 7 years ago until I blew out the engine. Did a solid axle Swap with an 8" lift, dana 44s front and rear. Damn thing was a beast. Have been wanting a 4Runner FOREVER. SO happy to have finally gotten one. Can't wait to see what they are capable of. Some insight on how much of a Suspension upgrade I need would be helpful. It would be fun to run the Rubicon Trail some day once I get it upgraded.
a 4runner on 33s skids sliders and 3 inch lift will do the rubicon, depending on the level of dragging frame/skids and driveer/spotter skill level but its been done many times before if you got the rear locker model

jahalver0706

Nice! I appreciate this for sure. 3" and 33s it is. I do have the rear locker. Thanks for your input! That greatly reduces the cost. haha

ttfjc

weekend wheeler
What are thoughts between the following: OME, Bilstein 6112/5160, and ICON?
i went with toytec. i drive a FJC which is basically the same as a 4th gen. they all are decent. I would suggest adjustable coils in the front and heavy springs in the back if you plan on loading up with alot of weight. Icon if money is no object.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior