Sugar Cube Sami

mattocka

(First Thread/ Post on Expo-Portal)

I've been an avid follower of the overlanding scene for the last few years thanks to BJ'sFJ, he gave me the exploration bug after desert camping during our highschool years.

This is my 1987 Suzuki Samurai TinTop camper build. I currently live in LA and I wanted a rig that would fit the criteria below:

1. Manual Transmission
2. Japanese manufacture
3. Fuel Economy above 16 MPG
4. Overall Vehicle length <12 Feet
5. Cost Under 10K

The size requirement stemmed from tight street parking in LA, while the Japanese manufacture and fuel economy arose from trips down to Baja where Jeep parts can be harder to source should something break. Most importantly: the tight budget of a college grad. This sadly excluded the FJ40 platform on price, the FJ60 on fuel economy, and the FJ80 on both fuel and transmission offering.

The POU (philosophy of use) for this rig was to enable me to quickly set up a campsite after a long day of rock climbing in Joshua Tree.

THE BUILD SO FAR:

After several months of researching online forums, it seemed the logical choice would be a Suzuki Samurai. I chose a hardtop (TinTop) model for the extra insulation, roof stability, and most importantly: vehicle security. I’ve seen many soft top Jeeps with sliced bikini tops where I live.

I found a gently used 1987 Tin Top in San Fernando Valley last November with 84K on the clock. Due to many Sami’s being trailered as RV toys, it was not hard to find examples under 90K miles.

When I first bought the Sami, the PO had made a rats-nest of wiring the horn so I promptly tore out the non-stock wiring and replaced it to my standards. Next was the seats. I sourced the ZOR Pacifica seats from Zuks off-road. Some cutting was required to have it fit correctly. The mid-row Chrysler minivan seats now work wonderfully.

After restoring the interior and gauge cluster, I upgraded the headlights with Harley Davidson HID lights.

Next was the rooftop tent (RTT). After extensive research, I opted to “buy once, cry once” and purchase the Auto Home Columbus Variant small. Not cheap but an investment that has since paid for itself!

After being high centered on a trail from a Jeep’s rut, I realized a lift would be a mandatory upgrade. So I went for a mild lift to maintain as much fuel economy as possible. I reached out to Gary Munck at Petroworks in Fallbrook. I went with the Old Man Emu 2.5 inch lift with the shackles included. Leaf springs are a tough install.

Now lifted, my attention turned to tires. The doughnuts had to go. I went with 235x 75 r15. However, wheel rub was an issue on the driver side fender. So I cut the bumper off and welded on a 3-inch extender bracket to help the tires clear. The immediate drawback of larger tires was fuel economy dropping from 21mpg to 19 (discovered the hard way), and my sami topping out at 55mph (lost my 5th gear).

Since the rear seat sucked on the Samurai, I removed it and built a custom wood cargo drawer system with my father. The idea was to be flush with the wheel wells to enable more efficient storage. I used a router to embed tie-down points to keep my cooler from shifting too much during the ride.

Lastly was a folding cooking table to allow easy meal prep once camp had been set. I chose the standard unit from FrontRunners in Agoura Hills, awesome group of people up there.

UPCOMING:

Up next on the list is the installation of a 15-gallon fuel tank from Petroworks. This extended range tank with fuel jerry-can should bring my total range to 382 miles.
Once the fuel range has been sufficiently increased, I will be looking for lights to mount and eventually front/rear bumpers. While the Samurai platform excels in confined spaces, it is inherently underpowered with a 1.3L engine pushing 68 horses. To offset the lack of power I have plans to re-gear my transmission to 4:16:1. The 4:16 gearing with 235" tires should bring my sami back to near stock performance with a useable 5th gear.

If anyone else on Expo uses a Samurai, PM me! I would love to see your build and swap stories.
Cheers!
DSC_8527.jpg

Attachments

• 20171219_163019.jpg
    20171219_163019.jpg
    381.8 KB · Views: 172
  • 20180405_210530.jpg
    20180405_210530.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 161
  • 20180406_175333.jpg
    20180406_175333.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 167
  • 20180406_181729.jpg
    20180406_181729.jpg
    358.5 KB · Views: 173
  • 20180407_221653.jpg
    20180407_221653.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 174
  • 20180422_140158.jpg
    20180422_140158.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 181
  • 20180621_154218.jpg
    20180621_154218.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 186
  • DSC06846.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20180617_172658.jpg
    IMG_20180617_172658.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 167

technotron101

Any updates on this? Also, if you don't mind, I'm dying to know what fire pit that is haha. It looks super compact yet practical

mattocka

So it's been a hectic month, but I just got back from camping in Dogwood near Lake Arrowhead, CA... I found out the hard way that I have a vacuum leak. After sitting idle for 1+ day, I could barely get the Sami started to make the trip down the mountain. As soon as I got back to sea level-ish, she started functioning normally again. IF anyone has any tips for solving a vacuum leak, I'm all ears. Pics from the trip
20180720_175459.jpg20180720_175511.jpg
Recently I also discovered why it's a good idea to re-torque everything 500 miles after installing a lift kit...
20180708_114404.jpg20180708_103158.jpg20180708_103210.jpg
I over flexed and the gas shock popped out after the nut had come loose. Lock nuts are a beautiful thing!

The firepit I use is the Snow Peak Pack n Carry. The POU behind it was to enable me to have a campfire in desert areas where ground fires are prohibited (black ash catcher included). Also, don't have the space to lug around a washer bin. A bit on the pricey side, but it's galvanized steel and is worth the $$.

mattocka

Some recent updates:

1. Added Trasharoo external vehicle trash bag
20180807_182653.jpg
2.Added a bottle jack/ jack-stand combo
20180807_182542.jpg

3. Lastly, I installed make-shift locks for the drawers to prevent them from opening on uneven ground.
20180807_182606.jpg

mattocka

Subscribed for inspiration on my own tin top build. How does it handle with the RTT?
Hey Bear Cub,

For such a small vehicle platform, it handles exceptionally well. The trick is to find the correct placement of the tent on the racks. Too far forward and when you slam on the brakes hard, you risk too much weight distribution to the front, enabling a roll-over scenario. Too far back and the rear suspension can become damaged over time from being constantly overloaded (a personal issue because of all the gear in the rear).

Overall, the largest setback to the RTT was the decrease in fuel economy. Stock, the Sami had 21MPG, with the tent it dropped to 19MPG. I discovered this the hard way on the highway...

Last edited:

mattocka

Long over-due update. Things have been hectic between the master's program and full-time work schedule.

I finally installed the 4.16 geared transfer case into the Samurai. Sourced from John Gates in North Long Beach. Apparently, he is the supplier for Low Range Off-road and for Myron at Zuks Off-Road. Excellent customer service when he helped me with the install.

While underneath the Sami, I discovered my intermediate shaft had nearly shaved in half on a U-joint connector. Promptly replaced to prevent my transmission turning into swiss cheese.

I've taken the Sami on a smaller trip to Doheny State Beach in San Clemente and just returned from a climbing trip in Joshua Tree.
Pics from Doheny:
SNAP_00140.JPG
SNAP_00141.JPG
Arrived late night at the BLM just north of the park. Set-up was a breeze!
20181102_232902.jpgNext morning I woke up next to a sailboat in the desert... not sure how I missed that the night before:
SNAP_00142.JPG
Spent the whole day climbing with my friend near Hidden Valley inside Joshua Tree. Had incredible weather!
SNAP_00143.JPG
Best friend testing beta on a V2 crag near White Rasta:
SNAP_00145.JPG
Me on the V2 crag:
SNAP_00144.JPG

Planned Upgrades:
1. The several night drives have made it clear I need some wide-area spotlights for safety purposes... also they'll look Bad-ass ;)!
Gearing towards the Baja Designs XL80's based on prior experience in desert environments.
2. Looking into a front/rear bumper system by Rocky-Road outfitters. Need to shift some weight out of the rear and onto the frame.
Front Bumper
samurai-front-winch-bumper-medium.jpg

Rear Bumper
samurai_rear_gas_carrier.jpg

Planning a trip to spend NYE in San Felipe for a slow holiday. Please PM me any advice on locations to visit around the area!

Attachments

• SNAP_00145.JPG
    SNAP_00145.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 38

stevec

Adventurer
I would suggest doing some research before getting your bumpers. There are a lot of options out there these days, from a lot of vendors. I bought my rear Samurai bumper from ZOR a couple of years ago and love it. He has several different bumper designs, including the one I got that uses the OEM tail lights. Trail Tough and Roadless Gear have a lot of good options too - Roadless Gear carries the bumpers for nearly all of the manufacturers, so it's a good place to compare different designs.

utherjorge

Observer
I would recommend Myron at ZOR a million times over, between the quality of the product and his amazing customer service. The bumpers on my Rocky are modified bumpers from ZOR, modified only because there is nothing for a Rocky. Myron worked with me for months as we settled on width and design, and the end result speaks for itself. Minor fabbing had to be done but ONLY because of my weird rig, not due to ZOR stuff. Tolerances and quality are impeccable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior