Such a simple request, Topo, turn by turn, load files...?

mparker

I am currently researching and reading multiple threads on the board.

I recently went on my first off road trip. I let my friend that has gone to the area lead. He was using Gaia on a iPhone. It seemed to work for him. I am a little old school and prefer a purpose built device like the gpsmap units.

I would to find a GPS to do turn by turn directions, and then also load trail files to it to use once I get to the Trailhead... I feel like its a hassle to worry about cell service and stuff.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
What are you after? A dedicated GPS receiver or software for a phone/tablet? When you say load trail files to it when you get there. Where is there? You mean someone giving you a GPX or KML in the field?

mparker

I am not sure what I want. If a tablet/software will do turn by turn AND a loaded GPX with Topo info all without cell service then that is what Ill do...

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Any GPS receiver or software package should do turn-by-turn navigation using routes based on its waypoints and the stored maps.

Are you trying to do turn-by-turn on a loaded GPX track? Now that is not something any of them do that I'm aware. My Garmin won't. It'll show a loaded GPX track as highlighted under your location but you have to watch it and follow it. It doesn't warn you and won't do turn warnings based on it. I don't think Gaia or Backcountry Navigator or anything will do that, either.

But as far as loading GPX files, that's just something I do by copying them on the SD card. Same with maps, just loaded on a SD card ahead of time. I use maps compiled from OSM data and USGS topo data. Seem accurate as far as I've ever seen. I build them with Base Camp to a virtual SD card, rename the compiled IMG files and load multiple ones on a real SD card for the GPS unit. Then there's just a list of available maps in the receiver.

FWIW, I use a Garmin GPSMap 78, paid $150 for it refurbished from GPS City. I've tried to find a way to go to a tablet and that would be nice for using PDF maps (something I use Avenza for on my phone). But for basic GPS location and navigation other than a bigger screen I can't really find a compelling reason to spend the money or figure out a way to mount it.

The main reason I stick with the GPSMap is maps. The Garmin map format has been around forever and is pretty well hacked and understood so there are very good free options for them. It seems like you have a limited selection for most of the software packages and any Garmin maps you have usually don't work.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94